Windows 10: Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Discus and support Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive. I have tried the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfx, Sep 5, 2016.

1. MFX
    mfx Win User

Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Hi

Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive.

I have tried the following which results in the same, just doesnt delete.
    Takeownership
    Grant me admin
    CMD Prompt running with admin del [foldername]
    Started Windows 10 in safe mode tried to delete - stays where it is.

Odd thing is this folder was originally in my Windows10 documents, I uninstalled a program called Kodi and it appeared to uninstall but left this folder behind.

I can browse the folder. Rename the main folder and its sub components. JUst wont delete.

Unable to delete the main folder or any subfolders/files.

No error messages or anything else to report. Very very odd.

Tried scanning with rootkit and antivirus just in case. Nothing flagged up.

Is it possible this is saved on a corrupt portion of the SSD drive?

When I go to the following location (I renamed it the main to stuck directory)

I then discovered the following sub folders called reports
    "Location is not available" [Directory and sub directory names listed below]"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

C:\Stuck directory\addons\plugin.audio.radio_de\resources\language.
    C:\Stuck directory\userdata\addon_data\script.extendedinfo\TheMovieDB
    C:\Stuck directory\userdata\addon_data\script.skinshortcuts

Have rebooted the system doing chkdsk /r etc. No luck.

Any solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 5, 2016
  3. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable message for many files.

Hi all,

I'm getting the message in the title when trying to open many files (eg. pdfs). I don't think the files are corrupted because if I click Open With --> Microsoft Edge I can see the pdfs fine.

What happened to cause this is the following:

1. After a forced Windows 10 Update, my secondary computer was stuck on an "Attempting to restore previous version" loop

2. I took the hard drive from the secondary computer and plugged it into the primary computer [I already had a second drive on the primary computer so I unplugged that one first]

3. When I booted up, I believe initially it tried to access the secondary drive [Received a blue screen saying Windows encountered a problem and was trying to fix it]

4. I transferred personal files from the secondary computer's drive to the primary computer's drive and removed the secondary computer's drive

After looking for similar issues online I tried the following:

1. sfc /scannow --> this failed with "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" at 30%, also tried on Safe Mode with the same message

2. chkdsk /r c: --> this gets stuck at 29%, and after 20 minutes suddenly jumps to 100%, doesn't seem to have helped

This is not the only error message that has started popping up. Occasionally, I see "MSOSYNC.exe - Bad Image. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\MSPTLS.DLL is either not designed to run on windows or it
    contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f." This same message was popping up when trying to open Chrome, but after
    re-downloading it now works fine.

Any information or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

CalgaryPure, Sep 5, 2016
  4. DooGie Win User

An easy way would be to download a live Linux .iso such as UBUNTU, burn it to a DVD or USB and boot from it.
    You can browse to the locations from that and delete the directories you want.
    After deleting be sure to empty the Trash bin in Linux or you'll end up with a Trash directory in Windows that can't be deleted unless you boot into Linux again.

DooGie, Sep 5, 2016
  5. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Thanks DooGIe. Downloading Ubuntu now.

Before I get too deep, is emptying the trash Linux trash bin fairly self explanatory, ie a recylce bin or do I need a command line/string please?

Thanks again

6. TrustMe Win User
    No command line needed, it's as easy as being in Windows.

TrustMe, Sep 5, 2016
  7. sml156 Win User
    If you press shift key while deleting it will not go to the Linux Trash bin

• Press the Shift key and select your file
    • While holding the Shift key, press the Delete key.

sml156, Sep 5, 2016
  8. MFX
    mfx Win User

perfect will give it a go Thankyou.

9. altae Win User
    That would also have been my advice. Often the problem is a folder or file name that is not compatible with the Windows restrictions on file names. Since Linux does not know such restrictions it can delete all files/ folders.

altae, Sep 5, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    When your running the live version of Linux you should have an internet connection, If your using a lan connection it should automatically detect it and if you are using WiFi you will have to either look near the top right of the screen for network icon or what looks like two lan cables, You could also look at the application's button then look for Internet and then look for connection manager.

From there you can open a browser and log onto TenForums if you need any more help.

Most Wifi and Lan cards are detected by Linux so you should have no problems connecting to the net if you need to.

Note:
    The web browser may be called Nautilus or it might have Ice weasel or possibly chrome

sml156, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" - Similar Threads - Cant delete file

2. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have windows 11 pro and would like to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable/025747a6-8b9d-461b-b38b-ed17c9e27801
  3. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have windows 11 pro and would like to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable/025747a6-8b9d-461b-b38b-ed17c9e27801
  4. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.": I'm currently facing an issue with my external hard drive. There's a specific folder that I can't delete, and whenever I attempt to open it, an error message pops up saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.". I noticed this problem after my game crashed when...
  5. File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable: So the dog caught the cord on my surge protector and turned the computer off right as a file was being saved. now it says that the folder the file is in is not able to be read. I have run a chkdsk and had the following: Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 581 reparse...
  6. The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.

The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable.: I added a new SSD to my Laptop and cloned my windows OS to it. It worked fine until I updated my Windows 10 to the latest. Now I'm getting these errors. I also tried reinstalling some Apps but it didn't work. Kindly helpSome options in Settings [ATTACH] As soon as I open...
  7. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hello, I wanted to make a folder that had additional folders in it as well as the main folder with emojis you might use in text messages in the beginning of the name. For example, if I named a folder "Info," there is an emoji on Get Emoji Symbols a ".com" website of a light...
  8. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004, build 19041.172 on a desktop machine with utilizing a single SSD for the boot drive and Storage Spaces for all of my files. The storage spaces pool is using six physical drives for a total of 30 TB 27.2 actually setup with Parity to...
  9. The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable: Hi I turned on my Dell G5 today and every program that I wanted to open, show this error << the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable >> Both my c and d drive have this problem. And interesting thing is that all of programs will run when I right click and...
  10. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume. Error: {Corrupt File} The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx} Volume Name: Guidance: The volume is recognized by...