Windows 10: Can't delete file in file explorer

Discus and support Can't delete file in file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a memory card in my phone that allows me to move large picture files to my laptop. Once in file explorer, it only allows me to copy and paste... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mroy99, Sep 24, 2017.

1. mroy99 Win User

Can't delete file in file explorer

I have a memory card in my phone that allows me to move large picture files to my laptop. Once in file explorer, it only allows me to copy and paste the files onto my laptop. The "cut" and "delete" options are grayed out.

This memory card is quickly filling up b/c I am unable to delete any files. HELP

:)

mroy99, Sep 24, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Sep 24, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    Cannot Delete a File in File Explorer

Hi,

It seems to me there are ways around this, possibly with a regedit or .CMD, but I don't remember...

I have had somewhat similar issues in the past though, minus the freeze when clicking on the file part....

Since you can't click on the actual file... can you relocate the FOLDER the file is in higher up in the root of the drive ?

slance310, Sep 24, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Isn't there some sort of file management app in the phone to allow that? If not and you have the MicroSDXC memory card in it [my wife does] pull the card and use the standard USB adapter that came with it to read in the computer. Most newer Desktops and Notebooks have a built-in reader or get a $20 one at Wal*Mart.

Berton, Sep 24, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    You need to use the phone functions to actually delete the files. When you copy/past from phone to PC, it's actually doing a mini-conversion from the phone format to PC format (NTFS). You can copy from PC to Phone, also. Again it will do a format conversion. You can't use a PC Windows function to delete on the phone, without special software. If your phone is Android, try the Android app ES File Explorer or go thru the Gallery and delete from The SD card.

f14tomcat, Sep 24, 2017
  6. mroy99 Win User
    I should have said that I used this memory card on my last laptop with Windows 7 with no problems. I was able to cut and delete any file loaded on the memory card.

Not sure if this is a glitch in Win 10 but I'll just start deleting these files on my phone once I've copied them. Just adds an extra step. Thanks for the feedback!

mroy99, Sep 24, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I use file explorer to cut, paste, delete files from my mobile all the time.

I do not see why it is not working unless it is some sort of weird permissions issue?

cereberus, Sep 24, 2017
  8. Gordon7 Win User

The folders could be set as Read-only on the card, try this:

Can't delete file in file explorer [​IMG]

You must do this to each folder/item you want to delete on the memory card!

After the "Read-only" attributes are cleared and you have applied it, click'd OK a.s.o. try to delete the files.

Gordon7, Sep 24, 2017
  9. mroy99 Win User
    You maybe onto something but here's the error msg I get. Remember this is the same phone I used when I transfered files to my win 7 laptop. There must be something going on in my settings in Win 10.

When I snip photos on twitter and try to send them in an email, I get the same message about "write protected." I've been doing this for years but this is a new error message since I started using win 10 a couple of weeks ago.

mroy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't delete file in file explorer - Similar Threads - Can't delete file

2. Can't delete a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete a file: I can't delete a file from my desktop - I either get an error code that the file isn't empty, the file isn't synchronized or that I don't have permission to delete the file. I changed the administrator permissions so that I have full control of the folder but I still can't...
  3. File explorer cannot delete files

File explorer cannot delete files: Ever since I got my pc, I am unable to delete any of the files I have temporarily downloaded on it. The download option is grayed out, and so is move to Recycle Bin. The files are taking up unnecessary space in my computer. Please assist with the same. [ATTACH]...
  4. CAN'T DELETE FILES IN FILE EXPLORER SAYS "NO LONGER LOCATED IN"

CAN'T DELETE FILES IN FILE EXPLORER SAYS "NO LONGER LOCATED IN": These files/pictures came on my new computer, NOT MINE. Can't delete. Says "no longer located in". What is this? I didn't ask for all these files clogging my computer....
  5. can't delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    can't delete file: I've been deleting files like this every week for a couple of years. They're backup files and large so I must delete one to make a new backup. The file is on an external drive. When I try to delete it I get the message "Folder access denied" (it's not a folder, it's a file)...
  6. Delete a file in file explorer.

Delete a file in file explorer.: What setting do I not have correct. I simply want to delete a file that is incorrect. I tried to replace it with a corrected version, but now I have two files with the same name and cannot select the correct one. And when I right click, or simply select delete, nothing...
  7. Can't delete files!

Can't delete files!: For some weird reason, sometimes I can't delete files on my desktop. Says I don't have permission! I'm the only user and have checked all the usual permission places. I have full control. If I restart the PC it's fine again. Can't save any work to the desktop either. All my...
  8. Can't delete files?

Can't delete files?: I installed GIMP yesterday to try editing on it, didn't like it so I deleted it. Didn't delete or uninstall it properly so now whenever I search GIMP in my library in the THIS PC tab it has a bunch of files that I can't delete. I'll put pictures because I'm not good with...
  9. File in explorer can't be found to delete

in Windows 10 Support
    File in explorer can't be found to delete: Hi all, I have a really bizarre problem with a file that I can't open, delete, rename, or move. I basically can't touch it. I believe the file was created by our Aperture Card scanning software and that it was supposed to be a scan. Said software may have somehow created...
  10. Can't delete certain files in "file explorer" (screenshot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete certain files in "file explorer" (screenshot): I can't get rid of these files , they are leftovers from deleting backups . Anyone know how to delete these? The second screenshot is the message i get . Thanks 22370