Windows 10: can't delete files in the wrong place

Discus and support can't delete files in the wrong place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; two files have appeared inside my lifelock program and i can't delete them. other ways to delete than using the delete button? ETA: sorry. the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sarap, Oct 28, 2016.

1. sarap Win User

can't delete files in the wrong place

two files have appeared inside my lifelock program and i can't delete them. other ways to delete than using the delete button?

ETA: sorry. the program is folderlock.

:)

sarap, Oct 28, 2016

2. Cannot delete document subfolder. Error message 0x80004005

Installed Documents in wrong place when setting up my computer. Now can't delete a subfolder when deleting document file to start over. Get error message 0x80004005.

BarbaraSyme, Oct 28, 2016
  3. Windows Phone app for Desktop crashes when I try to sync

That's a great solution "something went wrong, delete everything"

I can't believe your product is such big pile of you know what!!!

At the end I had to manually browse through my thousand of music files and delete all of them.

Really? Your software can't handle a wrong file name that probably it created itself in the first place???

Your product is a piece of sh**t!!!!

By the way: after the sync my Groups in the People app disappeared as well...

So frustrating!

Ruben Reyes R, Oct 28, 2016
  4. pepanee Win User

You're talking about the company LifeLock?

1) If so, go to this page: Member Support | LifeLock
    2) Scroll down and press the Click Here To Request Support button, on the right of the screen, and follow the it from there.
    3) Or better yet, on the left side of the screen next to that button, there's a telephone number you can call them at. It says they are there to answer your questions 24/7.

Or are you talking about files inside the program's folder?

pepanee, Oct 29, 2016
  5. sarap Win User
    i am a therapist and these are my clients encrypted files. when i click on the folderlock icon, i get a signin page. i have two folders. in both of them the same two files are listed which should not be there. one is 'recycle bin' the other reads 'system volume information'. strangely, both are dated 3-9-16.

sarap, Oct 29, 2016
  6. pepanee Win User
    "Recycle Bin" & "System Volume Information" are System Folders; in Windows 10, even if you manage to delete those folders, they will come back, no matter what. You can enable the option to Hide system files if they bother you, yet it's better not to enable that option, so you are aware of every single file that's listed in your computer.

I have removable drives connected to my computer, and they all have these two folders in there. Back in Windows XP, those could be deleted and never seen, yet that is no longer the case apparently. I've gotten used to them, took me a while to get used to them, but I made my peace with those two little annoyances. *Smile

Check out the highlighted (in blue) items in the two pictures below.

can't delete files in the wrong place [​IMG]

pepanee, Oct 29, 2016
  7. sarap Win User
    i don't like anything to be there that wasn't there before! and i have been messing around trying to run a restore after downloading hitmanpro with about ten attachments! but, they don't seem to be doing any harm and your response is hopeful. thanks.

sarap, Oct 29, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

Yes they are both completely safe.
    • The Recycle Bin folder is where your files would move to after you delete them once. And when you empty out the Recycling Bin from your computer, in general, it will permanently delete those files from there.
    • System Volume Information may store 'restoring' data from your Folder Lock hard drive. Do not worry about this saving any confidential data from your patients though, because this system folder does NOT save any documents, pictures, etc. It only would store important system data to run that hard drive from your computer, if you ever need to restore your computer for earlier times. And since your Windows 10 Operating System is stored somewhere else, System Volume Information will practically have almost nothing in there. It might just have a few folders SPP and WindowsImageBackup and SPPMetadataCache and file tracking.log which all sound strange, yet I searched on the internet and saw from many different sources/websites that those files exist for many, many people. Hence they are safe.

pepanee, Oct 29, 2016
  9. sarap Win User
    you have any idea how they transported themselves into this folder?

sarap, Oct 29, 2016
  10. pepanee Win User
    Windows 10 automatically creates those in there. According to many different things that I've tried in my hard drives, they always tend to recreate themselves.

• Recycle Bin folder: On my drives, I can delete that folder, but once I close that window and go back to it, that folder gets recreated.
    • System Volume Information folder: I can delete some folders and files in there, but cannot get rid of the System Volume Information folder itself. Yet, you should Not delete the files in this folder where your Windows folder is (the location of your Windows Operating System), because if you do that, then your System Restore will not be able to restore to the past few automatic restore points. But if you want to feel safe, you can delete anything in here that is possible (yet that's not recommended). But System Restore should automatically fix itself if you do that. Also, the Search Indexer (when you search for files on your computer and they show up immediately) stores some of its data in there too.

pepanee, Oct 29, 2016
  11. sarap Win User
    but i don't understand why. they weren't there before. maybe i'm just overthinking this.

sarap, Oct 30, 2016
  12. pepanee Win User
    It's most likely possible that the option (in the green box) in the attached image was Checked before. But now either you, or the computer, Unchecked it. You can check it again to make those folders hide again if you want.

pepanee, Oct 30, 2016
  13. pepanee Win User

Sorry, I forgot to include, that you need to also click on the entry 5 options above that option: Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives.

pepanee, Oct 30, 2016
  14. sarap Win User
    you are brilliant! the files are now gone (hidden) again. thanks so much!

sarap, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can't delete files in the wrong place - Similar Threads - can't delete files

2. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  3. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  4. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't delete a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete a file: I can't delete a file from my desktop - I either get an error code that the file isn't empty, the file isn't synchronized or that I don't have permission to delete the file. I changed the administrator permissions so that I have full control of the folder but I still can't...
  6. Can't delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a file: I can't delete a file from my desktop - I either get an error code that the file isn't empty, the file isn't synchronized or that I don't have permission to delete the file. I changed the administrator permissions so that I have full control of the folder but I still can't...
  7. can't delete file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete file: [ATTACH] The last time i played Forza i downloaded it thru the Microsoft store but they've changed it when i deleted the game it left the program file and i can't delete it is there a way around this?...
  8. File explorer search is looking in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer search is looking in the wrong place: When I download a file to my Windows 10 (Version 1903) PC it saves it in C:/Users/username/downloads which is as it should. But when I try to search for something in a file explorer window it isn't linking to files in the C drive downloads folder, instead it is linking to...
  9. Windows files appearing in the wrong places.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows files appearing in the wrong places.: I have a set of files (I'm not 100% sure what they are, I'm just assuming they are Windows related.) that are appearing on my storage SSD. My windows is installed on my 970 pro M.2, but these files keep appearing on my 850 evo for some reason. The 850 was in a previous...
  10. Can't delete files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete files?: I installed GIMP yesterday to try editing on it, didn't like it so I deleted it. Didn't delete or uninstall it properly so now whenever I search GIMP in my library in the THIS PC tab it has a bunch of files that I can't delete. I'll put pictures because I'm not good with...