Windows 10: Can't delete ntuser.dat from old unused User Account folder?!

Discus and support Can't delete ntuser.dat from old unused User Account folder?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm only using local accounts. I have an unused user account folder called "Anna". It's been migrated since ages ago in Windows 8 and it shouldn't be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Can't delete ntuser.dat from old unused User Account folder?!

I'm only using local accounts. I have an unused user account folder called "Anna". It's been migrated since ages ago in Windows 8 and it shouldn't be in use. I only use my present user folder called "Anastasia". Now I want to create a fresh new account called Anna.

I want it to be brand new to test whether this fixes the start button is numb problem.
    But I can't fully delete the old folder because no amount of ownership changes and mucking around with these files seem to make them available to delete. Windows claim they are in use. But how can they be when I've even deleted the account and the account isn't signed in? What do I have to do to get rid of this folder?

I don't want Windows to create the new Anna profile in a folder named something else, and I don't want any association with the old account. So I want the old folder completely deleted.

:)

Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016

2. What is a temporary profile?

No there is no data in the users folder. All that is present is NTUSER.DAT files. I have only one administrator account in the settings>account >your emails and accounts as I have never created any local user. What do you mean by deleting old corrupt account?

Please help.

Shounak Nandi, Jul 9, 2016
  3. olaf.b Win User
    Search is only working now and then

Hi’ Sumit Dhiman2

OK, I think I understand the process.

The only NTUSER-file that is shown on the list is NTUSER.DAT the other NTUSER files mentioned are missing. Is that a problem or can I just carry on?

olaf.b, Jul 9, 2016
  4. Hannele2 Win User

Solved by using the old tool Unlocker which I had forgotten about until I spotted it in the right click menu.
    You mark the files you want deleted and reboot. It then deletes them before the system had a chance to lock them.

Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Also Revo Uninstaller would of done the same.
    As that is what I use

hTconeM9user, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't delete ntuser.dat from old unused User Account folder?! - Similar Threads - Can't delete ntuser

2. Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  3. Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  4. Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users

Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  5. Cannot delete old/unused user folder from C drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete old/unused user folder from C drive.: Good morning,I recently removed a user profile/account from my PC windows 10 and I no longer see it when logging on to pc however the user folder remains on C drive. I have tried to delete it manually and it starts the process but then stops and tells me that it cannot...
  6. Cannot delete old/unused user folder from C drive.

Cannot delete old/unused user folder from C drive.: Good morning,I recently removed a user profile/account from my PC windows 10 and I no longer see it when logging on to pc however the user folder remains on C drive. I have tried to delete it manually and it starts the process but then stops and tells me that it cannot...
  7. Cannot delete old/unused user folder from C drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Can I delete unused user folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I delete unused user folders?: I have four user accounts on my Windows 10 desktop PC; mine, Administrator, Default and Public. As I am short of space on the C: drive I would like to safely remove the 'Default' and 'Public'. Can I simply delete these two folders without affecting the operation of my PC?...
  9. Delete unused user folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete unused user folders.: I have two user accounts on my Wndows 10 desktop; mine and Administrator. As I am short of space on the C: drive I would like to remove folders named 'Default' and 'Public'. Can I simply delete these two folders without affecting the operation of my PC? Thank you....
  10. deleteing an old user from my account

in Windows 10 Customization
    deleteing an old user from my account: I have an additional user on my laptop This is the person who i received it from If I delete it and all its data will this effect my desktop icons that I added and the pre-exsisting ones? Will this action delete any of my data?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 unable to delete local profile ntuser.dat

2. trouble deleting usrclass.dat

3. NAT user.dat is restricting me to delete folder

4. unable to delete ntuser.dat after deleting the user,
  5. remove ntuser.dat from old profile,
  6. NTUSER.DAT unable to delete,
  7. delete ntuser.dat from default account,
  8. ntuser.dat for deleted user account,
  9. delete ntuser.dat old user,
  10. profile wont delete ntuser.dat in use,
  11. old ntuserdat wont delete,