Windows 10: can't delete partition

Discus and support can't delete partition in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am in Computer Management. I am the owner of the volume, there is no sharing, the partition is empty, but "access is denied", and I can't delete it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shmu26, Dec 27, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

can't delete partition

I am in Computer Management.
    I am the owner of the volume, there is no sharing, the partition is empty, but "access is denied", and I can't delete it.
    I tried reformatting, it did not solve the problem. I also tried stopping the reformat in the middle, so it shows as raw data, but I still cannot delete it.
    This is not the system partition. I used it until now to store VMs.

:)

shmu26, Dec 27, 2016

2. Can't delete partition

I had installed ubuntu on my system when I first got my computer and used it until I could afford windows. When I installed Windows, I was running dual operating systems. I decided that ubuntu was not needed on my computer anymore so I deleted the volume
    it was on after recreating the booting system. When I clicked the button to delete the partition, it gives me a warning and then it says that there is not enough space on the disk(s) to complete the operation. How can I delete the partition and add it to the
    windows partition?

Kyler Legault, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Can't delete partition

Since you cannot delete partition in Disk Management, then you can use DiskPart to delete a partition. try “diskpart.exe” in a run box. run the followingcommands:

list disk

select disk [ID]

list partition

select partition [id]

delete partition

If you are not familiar with diskpart, then I recommend free partition manager AOMEI Partition Assistant to delete partition.

Lord--Snow, Dec 27, 2016
  4. shmu26 Win User

can't delete partition

UPDATE: I checked the security tab again, and ownership reverted to system. This has happened more than once.
    What's going on here?

shmu26, Dec 27, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    my bad.
    It was because of Rollback Rx. I uninstalled and everything worked perfectly. This simply slipped my mind.

shmu26, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Good Morning:

can't delete partition [​IMG]

I cannot delete the Partition containing 469 MB labeled "Healthy (Recovery Partition). When I right click on its Box at the far right, i do not get an Option List that allows Delete or Expand. Rather I get a note HELP which directs me to Microsoft Windows 10 webpage.

Should I use DISKPART? Can I delete this Partition safely, and add it to C:?

Appreciate advice...

Toronto Cat, Feb 13, 2017
  7. shmu26 Win User
    if you delete or move your recovery partition, you will lose the built-in option to refresh or reset your windows installation. You will have to do that from external media that you prepare in advance.

shmu26, Feb 13, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

can't delete partition

@Toronto Cat, Disk Management shows the Recovery Partition as 100% free and an unknown file system because it is 'denied access' - for good reason, this is the WinRE recovery partition. It's not empty and it's needed for system recovery. Without it you'd need a Recovery Drive on a USB or an install iso to repair your system. Best leave it alone.

Yes, you could get access to it using Diskpart to change it's ID to a Primary Partition, but I'd suggest you don't. I have done this on an old Win7 machine just to have a look at what it contained. Curiosity satisfied, I changed its ID back to a Recovery Partition straight away.

9. Bree, thank you so much for your quick response:

My system is an older Vista, professionally refurbished to Win7, that I have later upgraded to Win10. Do i still need the Recovery partition if I have no intention of going back to win7? I also have created a Recovery Drive on a memory stick.

If you agree that I can delete and expand, can you offer some advice on how to do it?

Thx again....

Toronto Cat, Feb 14, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can both delete the partition and expand the system partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

The recovery partition is really for convenience only. You can get all the same functionality by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Feb 14, 2017
  11. Thank you Commander...

Toronto Cat, Feb 14, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    That recovery partition no longer contains the Win7 recovery environment. It would have been upgrade to Win 10 and is now a Win10 recovery partition. I'd recommend keeping it in case you need to repair the PC.

At 469MB it would only increase the free space on your C: drive less than half a percent. It hardly seems worth the effort when you could gain more space by keeping some of your photos on a USB stick instead of on C:. You could probably gain more free space by running Disk Clean-up, particularly if you click its 'Clean up system files' button. That will add a 'More options' tab where you can delete all but the most recent restore points - that alone is likely to release more than 469MB.

Having said all that, if you really must then you can use Diskpart to change the partition's ID. Once the ID is changed you can manage it like any other partition using Disk Management. The recovery partition is ntfs formatted, but has an ID of 0x27 instead of the normal 0x07 used for a ntfs primary partition. Use Diskpart to Set ID=07 and it will become a primary partition.

13. can't delete partition

Thank you Bree. I will take your advice and leave well enough alone. But I'll keep your instructions for a day when I feel more adventurous, and likely just before buying a new laptop.

Cheers....

Toronto Cat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

can't delete partition

1. can't delete partition - Similar Threads - can't delete partition

2. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  3. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  4. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Deleting Partition

Deleting Partition: I just don't know how to delete a Partition.Alright so I formatted my PC months ago and when I was on the disk part I did a Partition of my main SSD 106 GB & 116GB But right now my C: Partition is full and I want to undo that change but I never knew how my PC right now is 781...
  6. Deletion of partition

Deletion of partition: Can i delete Disk 0 500 mb and Disk 1 450 mb not labled and drive letter. As they are not system reserved so i'm unsure to delete them or not. Windows is only installed on C driveI have two drives1 SSD C,D2HDDE,F3 External G...
  7. Deleted Partition

Deleted Partition: Hi, I have 1TB disk and someday I splitted the disk. So I had C 200gb and D 800gb. Today I managed to restore my PC and somehow the D partition has disappeared. Now I only have 200gb. What can I do? I already tried 3 different programs to recover the partition but none of...
  8. can't delete a partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete a partition: hi there, recently I was cleaning out a drive since I wanted to install a fresh copy of windows onto it, however the drive itself had many partitions on it as previously it was used just for storage, not a problem I thought as I deleted them all one by one (of course backing...
  9. Can't delete unwanted System partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't delete unwanted System partition: Hi everyone, I'm having troubles deleting an unwanted partition D: from my SSD. I've had a Windows 10 installed on it D: previously and for one reason or another it malfunctioned and I had to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Which I did on a different partition C:....
  10. deleting partitions,..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    deleting partitions,..: i deleted all the partitions on my hdd,..and created new partitions,...now i cant get the os to install,... 27198