Windows 10: Can't delete Steam game shortcuts

Discus and support Can't delete Steam game shortcuts in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi I recently got a new PC and was getting it set up okay.I found a way to restore the Games folder on for Windows 10(using the shell:games) command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ladderman, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Ladderman Win User

Can't delete Steam game shortcuts

Hi

I recently got a new PC and was getting it set up okay.I found a way to restore the Games folder on for Windows 10(using the shell:games) command in Run.

I made copied and my games executables,and then pasted the shortcuts in my newly created Games folder.Now,i did the same for some steam games and that seemed to work.

But then when i asked Steam create a desktop shortcut for a game,and placed it in my Games folder i get a shorcut with no image attached to it.And i can't right click on it to get any options.And more importantly i can't delete this shorcut from my Games folder.

I looked into shell:appsfolder,but i can't see the Steam dektop shortcut(3rd paragraph)there.

Does anyone know how i can delete this Steam desktop shortcut form my Games folder?.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

:)

Ladderman, Feb 15, 2018

2. Can't delete Steam game shortcuts

Hi

I recently got a new PC and was getting it set up okay.I found a way to restore the Games folder on for Windows 10(using the shell:games) command in Run.

I made copied and my games executables,and then pasted the shortcuts in my newly created Games folder.Now,i did the same for some steam games and that seemed to work.

But then when i asked Steam create a desktop shortcut for a game,and placed it in my Games folder i get a shorcut with no image attached to it.And i can't right click on it to get any options.And more importantly i can't delete this shorcut from my Games folder.

I looked into shell:appsfolder,but i can't see the Steam dektop shortcut(3rd paragraph)there.

Does anyone know how i can delete this Steam desktop shortcut form my Games folder?.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

PS sorry if this in the wrong category.

Sudsy malone, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Can't delete Steam game shortcuts

Hi Sudsy,

When files or folders cannot be deleted anymore, it means that it is still associated with your computer and bound to other apps.

To resolve this, we would like to recommend using the Unlocker
    app that can be downloaded from the Internet. Look for the safe ones and install this. Once installed, right-click the shortcut icon and use the
    Unlocker > Delete.

Let us know if you need more help.

Johann Eva, Feb 15, 2018
  4. Ladderman Win User

Can't delete Steam game shortcuts [​IMG]

Hi an update on my problem.

As you can see from image,most of the icons are alright and working.But some of them(F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin,F.E.A.R. 3,Freedom Force,Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich)don't have an image.

I have tried HiddenFileFinder,CCleaner to remove the non-working Steam dektop shortcuts but they didn't work.

Thanks

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 18, 2018
  5. Dude Win User
  6. Ladderman Win User
    Hi Dude

Thanks for those tips,but they didn't mention the non-working Steam dektop shortcuts i'm trying to delete.

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 19, 2018
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    You could try a different method, using a usb stick, bootable, and a program made by one of our members here. Once booted to the usb stick, just go to the shortcut you can't delete and remove it. This should work, and also give you a nice app to keep handy for future issues. Its free of course.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

OldMike65, Feb 19, 2018
  8. Ladderman Win User

Hi OldMike65

THanks for the tips,but how do you make a usb stick, bootable?.Hvae downloaded the ISO file,but stuck with making my usb stick bootable.

Thanks

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 19, 2018
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Download this small app to help you make any usb stick bootable.
    File you want to download is Rufus 2.18 from his web site. Link below.
    Then just open it up and read the screen choices. Have a usb blank stick in and ready.
    Soon as you put your usb stick into your computer it will give it a drive letter.
    This is the drive letter you will tell Rufus to make bootable.
    Just make SURE its your USB stick, and not one of your hard drives or SSD's !!!!
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

OldMike65, Feb 19, 2018
  10. Ladderman Win User
    Hi OldMike

Okay,i dowloaded Rufus 2.18 and made my usb stick bootable.

I then copied the Win14393PESE_x64 ISO v170116 usb stick(couldn't burn or mount the file,my PC only lets me use my DVD/RW for that).

I then went into the boot manager of my motherboard settings,and booted my flash disk(couldn't see my usb stick listed).

It then took me to a screen where i had to select a keyboard.And after that it was a Freecom screen,with a C:\ prompt.

Where do you think i went wrong in my setup?.

Thanks.

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 20, 2018
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Use Rufus to copy all files inside the .iso to your usb stick. Your motherboard CAN boot to a usb drive. During booting up, you have to tap your F2 key, sometimes its the F4 or F8 key and then a screen should pop up giving you a choice of what drive you want to boot from. Actually your manual should tell you what F key you need to tap. Have to keeping taping the key until that screen pops up. Rufus can copy all the files from the ISO file to your usb. Might take a little practice. You didn't have to go into your bios.

OldMike65, Feb 20, 2018
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Was reading a few msgs on the Gigabyte forum, seems there IS a setting in your bios to boot from a usb drive. I am not familiar with Gigabyte boards as mine is an ASUS board. But I still would think you could force it to boot from a usb drive just by tapping right F key at bootup. Your going thur awful lot of work just to delete a shortcut thou. But your motherboard does boot from a usb drive if everything is set correctly.

OldMike65, Feb 20, 2018
  13. Ladderman Win User

Hi Oldmike

I got my USBstick to boot properly,and got to my alternative desktop(is this classic shell?).But i couldn't see the Games folder anywhere.

I know i'm going through a lot,but there is about 17-18 non-working Steam dektop shortcuts in the Game folder,i would like tidying up.Windows 10 isn't like Windows 7 where you could delete a shortcut from the Games folder in seconds.

Thanks

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 20, 2018
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    When you are on your Windows 10, if you can see these shortcuts can you right click your mouse on them, click on properties and if you can it should display its location. Just a suggestion. Glad you got that usb stick to boot, new you could *Smile If you knew the location, you can delete those shortcuts from that program, as its not running under your Windows 10. See if you can find out where they are 1st, then once you know, boot back to that usb program and remove them.
    Got to tell you, I've never heard of this issue before. Hang in there, you'll delete them I'm sure.

OldMike65, Feb 20, 2018
  15. Ladderman Win User
    Hi Oldmike

When i'm on Windows 10 and i try to click on a shortcut,it doesn't bring up any properties.Could the non-working Steam dektop shortcuts be hidden or locked,so that no properties are showing.

These shortcuts were created by Steam,so who knows where they are stored.The Steam shortcuts that do work(copied and my games executables,and then pasted the shortcuts in my newly created Games folder),were done from the gmaes directory.

Thanks

Colin

Ladderman, Feb 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't delete Steam game shortcuts - Similar Threads - Can't delete Steam

2. Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam: so I've been trying to figure out why the game won't launch and checked event viewer.. It only started this March.. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Application...
  3. Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam: so I've been trying to figure out why the game won't launch and checked event viewer.. It only started this March.. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Application...
  4. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  5. Steam Game Shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam Game Shortcuts not working: Since first installing 1903 as release preview I've found that Steam game shortcuts aren't working properly. This is despite a clean install on the release of 1903. Not sure what's going on. 133323
  6. Steam Game Shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Steam Game Shortcuts not working: Since first installing 1903 as release preview I've found that Steam game shortcuts aren't working properly. This is despite a clean install on the release of 1903. Not sure what's going on. 133323
  7. Delete a Steam fighter combat game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete a Steam fighter combat game: I want to delete fighter combat game by steam. All I can find from my computer is go to Windows go to Programs and delete games I don't want. But I don't know how to get to Windows!!!...
  8. Can't Run Steam Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Run Steam Games: I just finished building my PC, and I downloaded DirectX but Im getting an alert from Xenuine with error code 00000A00/0019 and MSVCP140.dll, what do i need to download in order to run my games?...
  9. Steam shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam shortcuts: Hey so i've had this bug where steam shortcuts (for games obvs) donthave an icon and on trop of that when i try to run them, they don't run as a .exe but as if i wanted to print them, so for example when i open any steam shortcut instead of running it, it open the print menu....
  10. OneNote Shortcuts can't be deleted.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneNote Shortcuts can't be deleted.: Whenever I boot up my PC, it says OneNote Shortcuts can't be deleted. Does anyone know what the issue could be? 16376