Windows 10: Cant delete Windows.old folder after upgrade

Discus and support Cant delete Windows.old folder after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After upgrading to latest Win 10 I am happy with all working well and want to delete the Windows.old folder. But although I am the administrator I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Flissa, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Flissa Win User

Cant delete Windows.old folder after upgrade

After upgrading to latest Win 10 I am happy with all working well and want to delete the Windows.old folder. But although I am the administrator I get a message saying I need administrator rights to do this. I have even tried using the hidden administrator account but get the same refusal. I've never had trouble doing this before. Would welcome any suggestions to solve this problem. Thanks for any help. Kind regards .

:)

Flissa, Dec 12, 2017

2. How to delete the windows.old folders

After upgrading to the latest Preview Builds, I used to deleted the previous installation folders. Even though the previous installation was deleted, a windows.old folder remains. Thus there are windows.old, windows.old(1) to windows.old(4) (Total
    five folders) are remained in C.Drive. I ran the Command Prompt with Admn.. to delete these folders. But it says 'access is denied'. I am asking how to remove these extra folders.

SudhakarPaladugu, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Is it safe to delete Windows.old folder?

Hi Asad,

Deleting Windows.old folder will not affect your PC. Windows.old folder will contain all the application/files which were installed in your previous Operating system. So, by deleting Windows.old folder, all the applications and files
    which were there in your old operating system will get deleted.

After a Windows Upgrade, by default, Windows.Old directory will be deleted after 4 weeks. If you find that you no longer have any use for it you can also remove/delete the Windows.old folder manually.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Dec 12, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    There are some files (usually drivers) left in Win.old that are still being referenced by the running system (device manager) and cannot be removed other than through offline (PE/Linux boot) - those drivers are in fact in the system32 folder as well (due to the upgrade) and will be found (after the legacy stuff has been deleted) on reboot -- and properly referenced.

Superfly, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Flissa Win User
    Thanks guys problem sorted. Kind regards

Flissa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant delete Windows.old folder after upgrade - Similar Threads - Cant delete old

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Old windows folder cant open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old windows folder cant open: hello, i recently installed windows on a user's laptop and went to old windows folder after installing to get back user data. but the folders i was looking for are in a form of shortcut and cannot open and says "cant locate or the drive could have been moved or deleted. the...
  5. cant delete windows app folder from old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant delete windows app folder from old laptop: i had a windows app folder on my d: but my laptop broke. now i have a new pc and i want to install apps on my d: but i cant because there is a windows app that already exists and i tried o delete it but i cant submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  6. AFTER UPGRADE TO WIN 10--CAN I DELETE OLD WIN 7 FOLDERS?

AFTER UPGRADE TO WIN 10--CAN I DELETE OLD WIN 7 FOLDERS?: I recently upgraded an older HP Desktop purchased mid 2011 from Win 7 to Win 10. After some research and help from MS Community, I have it running satisfactorily. I do, however, have a number of folders left behind from the Win 7 OS. I can identify them from the "2011" date....
  7. cant get old emails after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant get old emails after upgrading to windows 10: I have used 8.1 windows for years all fine.i upgrade to 10 and all of a sudden 5000 emails vanish and my outlook account even though 10 shows my email address has sod all in it but my mobile phone is still taking emails.thank god but ***** windows 10 cant seem to find them I...
  8. Old Windows folder delete

Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  9. Cant delete windows old folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant delete windows old folder: I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October...
  10. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791