Windows 10: Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.

Discus and support Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have been getting a bunch of notices of unauthorized changes being blocked and then I needed to install software for school. So I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rgum, Aug 27, 2018.

1. rgum Win User

Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.

Hello everyone,

I have been getting a bunch of notices of unauthorized changes being blocked and then I needed to install software for school. So I figured out I could disable smartscreen in windows defender were it wouldn't block the program. I was able to install the program successfully after I turned the check apps and files to OFF. When everything was done I went back into windows defender and put it back on WARN. Then I found out that the program was not the only one I needed so I figured I skip all the headaches and just turn the Check Apps and Files OFF again. This time I noticed that it was set to BLOCK and every time I would try to select OFF or WARN the little circle would just go right back to BLOCK.

Has anyone ever dealt with this, I tried Microsoft support but the just said we can assist you for a fee.

Thank you for your time.

:)

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 27, 2018
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.

Windows Defender disables itself

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing the issue on Windows defender.

I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to inform you that if you have other antivirus on your computer, so Windows defender automatically

disable itself.

If you don’t have any other antivirus on computer then I would suggest you to check the services for Windows defender:

Steps:

• Close all application and program and reboot the computer.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type services.msc and press enter.

• From the list, you will see two services for Windows defender.

• Right click on both the services one at a time.

• Click on properties.

• Under general tab, select automatic from startup type.

• Click on start and then click on apply and then ok.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.

1. Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender. - Similar Threads - Can't disable check

2. Windows Defender Reputation-based Protection Check-Apps & Files - Managed by your...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Reputation-based Protection Check-Apps & Files - Managed by your...: I recently checked Windows Defender > Reputation-based Protection > Check-Apps & Files.But it was locked with a note "This setting is managed by your Administrator" - I can access all other settings.I am the sole user of my laptop and also the Administrator.I tried Microfost...
  3. Check apps and files disabled

Check apps and files disabled: I was looking aorund windows defender seeing that smart screen is disabled. [ATTACH] this is my personal computer, how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/check-apps-and-files-disabled/9d139342-ce25-4bf3-a6e4-5ae30a362f83
  4. Windows Defender Security Center: Can't turn on 'Check for apps and files'

Windows Defender Security Center: Can't turn on 'Check for apps and files': My 'Check Apps and files is off' and I can't turn it on. It says 'This setting is managed by your administrator. I also turn off SmartScreen for Microsoft edge and SmartScreen for Microsoft Store app but it's still not change. Please help me select it myself. [ATTACH]...
  5. Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

Why can't I disable Windows Defender?: Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I triedthis guide but things look different, I can find the "virus & threat protection" thing to click but mine looks different and can't continue to follow the...
  6. Windows Defender Check apps and Files Greyed out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender Check apps and Files Greyed out: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/luksonluke [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eqeff5/windows_defender_check_apps_and_files_greyed_out/
  7. Can't disable Windows Defender anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable Windows Defender anymore: I'm on a fresh 1903 install with all updates and everything. I'm using the gpedit.msc method to disable Windows Defender via a group policy. To achieve that I enabled Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows components > Windows Defender > Turn Off Windows...
  8. Can't disable Windows Defender with Kaspersky

Can't disable Windows Defender with Kaspersky: I've found the page that advises on how to disable Windows Defender on here, but the screen I get in the 'Windows Defender Security Centre' looks nothing like I see there, and there is no option to turn off real time protection, only a way of changing scan options. I keep...
  9. Can't disable "Windows Defender: This app is turned off..." Message

Can't disable "Windows Defender: This app is turned off..." Message: Hello! I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 recently on two separate PCs. After the upgrade, I installed Bit Defender Internet Security on both of them. My problem though is with only one of the two machines. On one of the PC's, as Windows comes up from a cold boot, I get...
  10. Check apps and files windows defender greyed out

Check apps and files windows defender greyed out: Just done the creator update and I've noticed that the 'check apps and files ' option under app and browser control is greyed out the other 2 options are set to warn correctly anyone know how to enable this option? 81793

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable check apps and files

2. check apps and files windows defender smartscreen helps protect cant

3. cant turn off check-apps and files

4. smartscreen check apps and files ignored intune,
  5. disable windows defender hello verification,
  6. enable cheack apps and files enable,
  7. turn off check apps and files in windows defender,
  8. unable to turn off smartscreen check apps and files,
  9. windows defender cant check apps and files,
  10. windows defender check app file,
  11. check apps and files is off,