Windows 10: Can't download any files at all

Discus and support Can't download any files at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been running WIndows 10 for a little while now, over a month. Now, for some reason I cannot download a file. If I try from Firefox, it fails, if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paolo59, Sep 4, 2015.

1. paolo59 Win User

Can't download any files at all

I've been running WIndows 10 for a little while now, over a month. Now, for some reason I cannot download a file. If I try from Firefox, it fails, if from IE it fails and if from Edge it fails. I'm stumped??? I can surf the web but just can't download any file at all. I've tried downloading attachments from my gmail as well as software from other web sites. Nothing works? HHHEEELLLPPP!

:)

paolo59, Sep 4, 2015

2. windows 10 I can not download any thing at all,

Browsers don't install, they just download. Are you sure the downloads are completing? What did you do differently with the new browser?

I'd go over the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 4, 2015
  3. windows 10 I can not download any thing at all,

sorry i reinstall windows 10 and left the doc and photo,so when i started up again all i had was explorer and edge they downloaded but would not install,in my files there was a browser in the downloads that were saved from previous version,with that iwas
    able to install all i required.

All works now except edge and explorer and some of the aps from store which open and then shut down. Yes i shut down spy hunter,tried ethernet cable and wireless, also shut down and start the router, also tried your other suggestion to no avail.

billcampyo, Sep 4, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

What are the error messages you get?

Try disabling your anti-virus software.
    Try it from Safe Mode with Networking. You can get there by clicking on Power then right click on Restart.

Ztruker, Sep 4, 2015
  5. paolo59 Win User
    I have no special anti-virus. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, that's it. I've tried Safe Mode, no luck. If I go into FireFox and try a download an attachment from gmail it just says Failed - googleusercontent.com - and a time. If I try IE or Edge there are no error messages at all. Apart from downloading everything is fine. It is a dual boot machine and if I boot to Linux Mint, then everything works fine, including downloads. I did do a download a few days ago, so something must have changed but for the life of me I don't know what.

As for the disabling Anti Virus, I disabled Anti Virus AND the Windows Firewall, no luck either. Still keeps saying failed.

paolo59, Sep 4, 2015
  6. hawkman Win User
    Have you dissabled any Services, While i was playing around with W7 years ago i dissabled one and had this problem, but like i said it was years ago.
    The only thing i remember is that was nothing really to do with Browsers/downloading.
    It might point you in the right direction.

Roy

hawkman, Sep 4, 2015
  7. JoeyDVDZ Win User
    I experienced a couple of of permission based issues with file downloads; I would attempt to save to my documents directory, and it would give me a permission error, forcing me to save to the desktop. From there, I was able to move the file to the doc directory or wherever else I wanted to save to. It seems to come and go. Weird.

JoeyDVDZ, Sep 4, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Hi

There is a possibility that malware is preventing you from being able to download. That has been a symptom on machines I have cleaned before.

You'll need go to a different device and download an AV on to a usb stick (I recommend Malwarebytes). Then return to your device, install and scan

Like a say. Just a possibility. Well worth checking out though I reckon...Please advise of the outcome

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  9. Azucho98 Win User
    I have the exact same problem. Suddenly can't download a file from any website. I click a file download - it makes an attempt, then acts as though I never clicked the download link (no message, no error) Malwarebytes scan came back clean as did Vipre antivirus. (I do not run both programs simultaneously) Disabling AV does not change anything....

This seems to be login dependent because I can download files fine with my sons login (non-admin) but can't with mine (admin).

I have no idea what to try next other than creating an new admin user account. This is crazy......

Has anyone had luck figuring this out?

Azucho98, Oct 29, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Something has tampered with the policy settings for the admin account in an attempt to take control of that machine.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 29, 2015
  11. Azucho98 Win User
    Ok - so how do I fix it?

Azucho98, Oct 29, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Either use your son's account and temporarily make it an admin account. Then delete your account, make a new one for yourself and reset your son's to whatever it was once yours is working properly.

Or make a new admin account for yourself from within your existing account and delete the faulty one.

Or start a hunt for whatever is disallowing you to download files which could be time consuming.

If that's no option or too much hassle, then backup up whatever you think you need and reinstall from a clean drive.
    Which is what I'd do if I suspected something fishy and had no clue where it came from. YMMV but I don't waste time on my machines trying to figure it out when a clean install is often that much faster and more reassuring securitywise in the end.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't download any files at all - Similar Threads - Can't download files

2. I can't download any type of file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't download any type of file.: I am using Windows 8 or 8.1. I purchased the Microsoft suite years ago. I can't download any type of file now. Is this because I'm not using Microsoft 365? I can't afford a new computer and a new monthly charge. How can I resume being able to download documents?...
  3. I can't download any type of file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't download any type of file.: I am using Windows 8 or 8.1. I purchased the Microsoft suite years ago. I can't download any type of file now. Is this because I'm not using Microsoft 365? I can't afford a new computer and a new monthly charge. How can I resume being able to download documents?...
  4. Edge is not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is not download any files: This is happening on Windows 7 but fix should apply for any Windows PC. I was downloading a file that was only 4.0 KB. After 30 minute I went to close Edge and got this: It should have loaded in a matter of seconds. I thought about uninstalling Edge and then downloading the...
  5. Cant download any files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant download any files: Anything I try to download I get a message saying cant download. Trying to install Mcafee but wont allow. Now realised cant download any files from internet etc or save photos from emails On windows 10...
  6. Can't download files using any browser

Can't download files using any browser: Windows 10 Pro, OS build 19041.685 Following the most recent Windows update I am unable to download files of more than a few megabytes using any internet browser - I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. I have no third party antivirus or security software installed, I have...
  7. Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan: This issue only started happening recently within like the last week. Anytime I try to download a file it gets blocked because "virus scan failed". This happens with both chrome and edge (I would test with other browsers but I don't have any installed and can't download the...
  8. Can't download any files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't download any files.: This includes files from Microsoft and all other trusted sites . The error message at bottom of screen says the file contains a virus and the deletes the download. Problem occurred during a windows update during April 2019. I spent 7 hours online with a Microsoft...
  9. Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB

Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB: Yup, you read that right. I really hate this since I need to install Windows (32-bit) via a thumb drive. Executive files inside the original hard drive does not affect this. All of the .exe files don't work (other type of files still work). But I can still access...
  10. Edge Will not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Will not download any files: Hi Have just installed windows 10 on both my PC and laptop. Edge in PC allows file download. On my laptop, Edge always throws error message that file couldn't be downloaded and I cannot work out why. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this? As far...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. integrity checklist by greg carmack