Windows 10: Can't drag and drop files, permissions issue?

Discus and support Can't drag and drop files, permissions issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since i've updated to Windows 10 i've been having an issue with permissions which im unable to fix. Basically all of my software and files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cel, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CEL
    Cel Win User

Can't drag and drop files, permissions issue?

Ever since i've updated to Windows 10 i've been having an issue with permissions which im unable to fix.

Basically all of my software and files located on a non-system hard drive appear to be restricted in one way or another despite the fact that i've manually set all of the permissions and made myself an owner of an entire hard drive.

Here are the examples of issues i've experienced:

1) I can't run any software i've installed on that hard drive unless im running it as administrator. This includes GOM player, Adobe Photoshop, Filezilla, Steam and other applications. I can run any software on a system disk without confirming it first as administrator though.

2) I can't drag and drop files from that hard drive to or from installed applications like GOM and VLC player's or Adobe Photoshop - it just won't let me since the cursor changes into a cross. If i installed the software on a system drive - i can drag and drop files (movies, photos, etc) just fine when i need to play something in VLC or edit files in Photoshop.

3) I couldn't use archives and drag and drop files from and to archives without a warning about "harmful files" popping up constantly until i installed winrar on a system disk.

4) Some files gotten locked if they were downloaded from the internet. I think i was able to fix that by editing permissions and security settings in gpedit.msc and explorer though.

Is there a reason why this keeps happening?

:)

2. Drag and drop problem still occurring in 2017 with Windows 10

Hello there,

I had the problem with Drag and Drop since last big update, but everything change today. Can't drop and drop files directly from explorer to another program. I tried almost everything and finally I found a solution (it works for me hopes it will help other
    people). So the only thing I did I created new user on my PC with another microsoft account I have. Then I transferred administrator permissions to it (so the account whith which I had problem become normal user wihtout permissions). Than I login to the new
    account to check the problem still exist in new account. But everything works fine (I can drag & drop files from explorer to explorer, explorer to software etc.). In this case I login to my old account without administrator permissions and... everything back
    to normal. Next I bring back administrator permissions to this account, delete new one and that's all.

Desktop Shaman, Dec 10, 2015
  3. Drag and drop files, I am not able to drag files from the files window to folders in the navigation pane.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Are you able to do the same using other computers?
    • What exactly happens when you drag and drop to other file explorer windows?
    • Do you get any error message?
    I would like to inform you that there might be a chance that there is some system file corruption. So, I would suggest you to run
    SFC scan and see if it brings any difference.

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption. The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect,
    corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

Follow the steps below and check:

a. Right click on the Start Menu, locate and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Type the following command, and then press
    ENTER
    :

sfc /scannow

For more information refer to this article:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 8,8.1 (this will work on Windows 10 also)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Nachappa C K, Dec 10, 2015
  4. sagecat Win User

well, new here --- so question may be in inappropriate place. BUT, how do I go about defragging my system files which the analysis shows 14% fragged. it did the "C" files but won't do system although it is listed in the window.

sagecat, Dec 10, 2015
  5. CEL
    Cel Win User
    You probably should make another thread for your question instead of asking in someone else's thread?

Also i can't really understand what exactly do you want to do and why.

-----------------------------

The issue was with windows integrity levels. Fixed by setting it higher.

Thema:

1. Can't drag and drop files, permissions issue? - Similar Threads - Can't drag drop

2. drag and drop issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop issue: I'm having this trouble lately wherein I cannot drag and drop any files to another folder using either my touchpad or mouse. It will not also allow me to cover up or highlight a sentence since it will be cut halfway. There are no new updates available, and forum only gives me...
  3. drag and drop issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag and drop issue: I'm having this trouble lately wherein I cannot drag and drop any files to another folder using either my touchpad or mouse. It will not also allow me to cover up or highlight a sentence since it will be cut halfway. There are no new updates available, and forum only gives me...
  4. drag and drop issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. drag and drop issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop issue: in my laptop acer aspire 7 upgraded my operating system to windows 11 but the drag and drop feature is not working for the past 5 months . pls solve this problem in the new windows 11 update...
  6. drag and drop issue

drag and drop issue: in my laptop acer aspire 7 upgraded my operating system to windows 11 but the drag and drop feature is not working for the past 5 months . pls solve this problem in the new windows 11 update...
  7. Drag and drop issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop issue: Hi MS Community,Drag and drop is function is not available in windows 11. How to resolve this permanently ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-issue/924d459a-1ad1-491e-b467-fb6a12429403
  8. Drag and drop issue

Drag and drop issue: Hi MS Community,Drag and drop is function is not available in windows 11. How to resolve this permanently ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-issue/924d459a-1ad1-491e-b467-fb6a12429403
  9. Can't drag and drop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop: I have done: sfc /scannow DISM CheckHealth and RestoreHealth commands Restarted Windows Explorer Restarted Desktop Window Manager submitted by /u/TheTank18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iinj3x/cant_drag_and_drop/
  10. drag & drop issues

in Windows 10 Support
    drag & drop issues: My system was running well until I started having drag & drop issues ie: o cannot drag messages within Thunderbird or to Explorer or Desktop o cannot re-arrange tabs in Firefox (ok on Chrome and Edge) o cannot drag URL from Firefox or Chrome to Explorer or Desktop (Edge...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix drag and drop permission problems

2. drag and drop gpedit

3. drag drop permissions