Windows 10: Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

Discus and support Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TomVDJ, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TomVDJ Win User

Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on the desktop, with the overlay that a shortcut will be created there, but when I release the mouse button, the round waiting cursor appears for a second, and then the shortcut is gone again. After that, I can't even start dragging a shortcut from the startmenu, until I restart the explorer process.

Creating shortcuts "from scratch" on my desktop works perfectly.

My system:

Mainboard: MSI H110 PC MATE
    Processor: I7-6700
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB
    Grahpics card: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
    Windows 10 version: 1607 / Build 14393.321

:)

TomVDJ, Oct 22, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop?

Bringing up the Start menu, left clicking on Microsoft Edge and holding the button down while dragging the icon to the desktop did create a desktop shortcut for me on 240. I agree that you can't drag the Task bar's Edge icon, and so can't create the shortcut
    that way, and that right clicking the Start menu Edge icon doesn't give you a menu item to create a desktop shortcut.

So, yes, most of us can create a desktop shortcut for Edge on Windows 10, but not the same way as we might have created a desktop shortcut in previous Windows versions.

Are we missing a detail somewhere.

pc-learner, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Windows 10 system Tiles to Icons

drag the tile from the start menu to the desktop, a shortcut will be created

Martmcd, Oct 22, 2016
  4. TomVDJ Win User

Nobody with the same problem or a possible solution? *Sad

TomVDJ, Oct 23, 2016
  5. XweAponX Win User
    That used to happen to me, you should get a small popup that says "create shortcut here?"

I got sick of hassling with it, so I installed Startdock Start10.

XweAponX, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check/repair system files.

Steve C, Oct 24, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    If that doesn't help, fixing this sort of issue often requires an in-place upgrade repair install.. kind of a bigger issue now given the size of cumulative updates.

Get Classic Shell (free) unless you really need tiles, and enjoy a properly working search feature and start menu.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Tom, *Smile

Since you have NVIDIA graphics, you might see if installing the latest 375.63 driver version may help. The 375.57 version had a bug that causes issues with Start and the Mail app. Hopefully it may help.

Latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Drivers for Windows 10

Brink, Oct 24, 2016
  9. TomVDJ Win User
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll try them out tonight. Not to keen to install third party tools, but If the driver update and / or the system scan doesn't work, I might give it a try anyway.

TomVDJ, Oct 24, 2016
  10. TomVDJ Win User
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So no problems there...
    This seemed to do the trick! I indeed had 375.57 installed, and by coincidence, today my GeForce app proposed to install 375.63. Installed this driver, rebooted, and now the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks everybody for contributing! Glad this works again *Wink.

TomVDJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore... - Similar Threads - Can't drag shortcuts

2. Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?: I thought that when I dragged a file to the Start Menu it was essentially a shortcut. By Start Menu location I mean:C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProgramsThis is the "back side" of the Start Menu.Then I discovered that it was growing in size. Since...
  3. Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 Start Menu: Why are text files dragged there not shortcuts?: I thought that when I dragged a file to the Start Menu it was essentially a shortcut. By Start Menu location I mean:C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProgramsThis is the "back side" of the Start Menu.Then I discovered that it was growing in size. Since...
  4. Can't copy between computers by dragging to a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't copy between computers by dragging to a desktop shortcut: I have 2 computers, Win10 & WinXP on a network. I can copy files between the computers & can copy to folders within the Documents files (on WinXP, it's called "Data" instead of Documents. I created a folder (called Sync) on my Win10 desktop that has shortcuts to various...
  5. Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu: I got a large square with a tiny icon inside.... It may be related to 'apps from Windows app store' rather than programs installed in the old way. Others have this problem. I was not able to provide a solution as the question was closed. Here is a long winded solution. (i.e....
  6. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  7. Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts: So I'm having this weird bug where I can't click any of my start menu shortcuts when I search up the program (typing) I'm trying to execute but if I manually look for it (using scroll wheel) and clicking on the shortcut the program will execute? I've tried rebuilding my...
  8. "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?: My mom just got a new tablet which came with Windows 10. I'm trying to set it up to be as similar as she was used to with Windows 8.1 I know with the full-screen start menu, you can technically just press the Windows key a second time to return to the desktop view you were...
  9. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?: Win 10 64bit Build 10162 Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but...
  10. Can't drag and drop within the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag and drop within the Start Menu: Hi, Windows 10 doesn't seem to allow drag and dropping within the Start Menu... As a result, I can't place anything there which doesn't include a "Pin to Start" option upon right click. I'm also unable to drag/drop onto existing Start Menu items (see attached). Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cannot drag start menu item to desktop

2. windows 10 cant drag webstie icon from start menu to desktop

3. win 10 cant drag start buttons between groups

4. why can i not drag url short cuts to my desktop,
  5. why cant i drag edge website to desktop shortcut,
  6. cant drag shortcut to desktop from favorites with edge,
  7. unable to drag & drop tile from start menu to desktop,
  8. cant drag shortcut to desktop,
  9. win10 why cant i drag shortcuts onto my start menu,
  10. when I go to drag an icon from my start menu it has a no symbol on it,
  11. windows 10 cant drag shortcut to desktop,