Windows 10: Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)

Discus and support Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 on my HTPC based on a Asus M4A785D-M PRO board (with an onboard ATI Radeon HD4200). I have the HDMI output connected to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by itm, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ITM
    itm Win User

Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 on my HTPC based on a Asus M4A785D-M PRO board (with an onboard ATI Radeon HD4200). I have the HDMI output connected to my TV. I want to pass a 2nd (duplicate) video feed to another (analog) display using the VGA port. None of the options in the Windows "Project" settings seem to work as I want however. If I select "Duplicate", which seems to be what I want in theory, the HDMI output goes blank while the VGA output displays the desktop. If I select "Extend" I can see the main desktop on the HDMI output, but the VGA output shows a different display (i.e. an extended desktop).Is there any way of getting the same desktop to be displayed via both the HDMI and VGA outputs?

:)

2. Display aspect ratio

Did a factory reset on the monitor. That did not correct the problem.

The computer has an ATI Radeon HD4200 Display Adapter and a Microsoft Basic Display Driver with chip type ATI ATOMBios.

I appreciate your help.

ErnestBecking, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Booklet 3g connections accessories

Do you have a picture of this hdmi-vga cable? In theory according to the spec no pins on the HDMI output should have an analogue signal. But it maybe the nokia is non-standard.

Which ATI card was it?

shokx---01, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)

I do believe, in duplicate, it defaults to the lowest resolution of the two monitors. And then tries to display that resolution on both. This causes one of the monitors to be at the wrong resolution. Some will display anyway and some won't, they are out of rage. I'm guessing this is your issue, just a guess though. I run triple displays but never in Duplicate Mode. I'm either in Extend or PC only.
    To make the best use of the Duplicate mode, both displays should be the same resolution.

alphanumeric, Sep 27, 2017
  5. ITM
    itm Win User
    I suspected that it might be something like that. Is there any kind of software or driver workaround for this?

6. There are likely third party utilities to get around it. A quick google search found this, DisplayFusion I'm sure there are others. You'll have to read the details to see if it will suit your needs.

7. ITM
    itm Win User
    Many thanks for the link. I've contacted them to see if the DisplayFusion product can help with this.

8. Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)

It's a shame, in this day and age, that Windows can't do that natively. Hopefully that works for you.

9. ITM
    itm Win User
    Sadly they've replied to tell me that their software can't help :0(

10. There are splitter cables that will send the one Video signal to two displays. You'd have to play around with the screen resolution to find one that will display on both monitors. It wouldn't be ideal but "might" work. LCD displays don' like to be run at anything other than their native resolution. They end up looking funky and it can be hard on your eyes.

The other option is to use two identical monitors, or two monitors with the same resolution.

alphanumeric, Sep 28, 2017
  11. ITM
    itm Win User
    Thanks - yes I think a splitter is the simplest way to go. I'll scout around on eBay...

12. My 3 monitors are 1280 x 1024, 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 1024. If I switch to Duplicate I get a display on all three, but my center display (1920 x 1080) ends up with black borders on the sides. Shutters so to speak. Just lucky I guess? Your second display must really not like the resolution its getting sent. Do you have to use VGA? If you bought a different cable, DVI or HDMI would it work?

alphanumeric, Sep 28, 2017
  13. ITM
    itm Win User

That's an interesting idea. There is a DVI port on the graphics card. I'll see if I can get hold of a DVI to component video cable to try it out (the target for the 2nd display only has component, S-Video or composite inputs).

14. bobkn Win User
    I'm not very familiar with component video. The analog output of a DVI-I port (both analog and digital) can be sent to a VGA monitor using a passive adapter. It's RGB. Component video generally isn't RGB; it uses chrominance and luminance information.

It may be possible to cause the graphics card to output component video as the analog output of a DVI port, but I'm unaware of that.

There are active adapters to take HDMI to component. If you don't have an HDMI output, you could combine a passive DVI to HDMI with HDMI to component. (Sounds like a kludge, I know.)

bobkn, Oct 2, 2017
  15. ITM
    itm Win User
    It turns out that the graphics card cannot output via DVI and HDMI simultaneously - it's either one or the other :0(

Thema:

1. Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200) - Similar Threads - Can't duplicate display

2. ATI RAdeon drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ATI RAdeon drivers: Dell Studio. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. When I installed 2004...resolution was terrible, and this driver was no longer available. No updated drivers on their website as they have discontinued support for this driver. Apparently I will have to buy a new computer when...
  3. HDMI to VGA Adapter in windows 10 is working, but can't duplicate and extend.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI to VGA Adapter in windows 10 is working, but can't duplicate and extend.: What is happening right here? I have a dual monitor setup(one old monitor, and another new laptop). I can't extend the displays, and neither I can duplicate the displays. All I can do, is to watch in either of the screen. i.e either in my new laptop's screen or in my...
  4. AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series not displaying HDMI output in Windows 10

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series not displaying HDMI output in Windows 10: I changed my drive to a ssd so I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I normally use my computer with a VGA monitor but sometimes I plug it to a bigger TV screen with an HDMI cable to watch movies and such. After the install I can't get the HDMI to show anything, it just shows NO...
  5. Surface Pro 3 VGA/HDMI output to projector

Surface Pro 3 VGA/HDMI output to projector: I just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10 OS. There are issues with the compatibility and I’m suspecting the driver built in Windows 10. Does anyone having the same issue with me. Thank you! 18703
  6. VisionTek ATI Radeon 9250

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    VisionTek ATI Radeon 9250: Just got this card and can not find driver for it, any idea's Look in control panel and windows10 does not see it,is there a way to fix. VisionTek ATI Radeon 9250 DMS-59 128MB PCI Low Profile Video Graphics. 37062
  7. ATI Radeon Xpress 200

ATI Radeon Xpress 200: I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, everything seemed to be fine , smooth installation but icons appeared big and all the videos began to play slowly on windows 10, i tried changing resolution , contacting microsoft contact support ! nothing seemed to work, any...
  8. ATI Radeon 4300/4500

ATI Radeon 4300/4500: Any one had any luck using ati radeon hd 4300/hd 4500 series with windows 10? 15399
  9. Problems with ATI Radeon HD5450

Problems with ATI Radeon HD5450: I have Windows 10 x64 Pro build 1511 with all latest updates. My graphic adapter ( discrete ) is an ATI radeon HD 5450. I have installed the latest drivers downloaded from AMD site. But now under Device Manager i can see my graphic Adapter installed correctly , but when i...
  10. ATI Radeon HD 4800: display resolution problem

ATI Radeon HD 4800: display resolution problem: Hello, i recently updated my graphic card driver to the newes version. But now I am not able to select the right display resolution(which is 1920x1200). The max resolution I can select is now only 1600x1200. But this Driver should definitely support this resolution. Even...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. duplicate pisplay radeon 9250