Windows 10: Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

Discus and support Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up my File History and did a backup with the link "create a system image" on an external hard drive. I closed all my programs, then tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KATHYBINGEMAN, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

I backed up my File History and did a backup with the link "create a system image" on an external hard drive. I closed all my programs, then tried to "eject" the external drive. I tried many times and got a message that said it is still in use. I finally just unplugged it from my laptop even though I didn't want to. How do I prevent this in the future and what does it mean? Did I hurt anything?

:)

KATHYBINGEMAN, Jul 18, 2018

2. Can't eject external hard drive

Every time that I try and eject my Samsung external hard drive, I get a message pop up saying to close any programs using it. I also can't eject using drive tools in File Explorer. I have checked and there is nothing running. I can also eject the hard
    drive in other computers, after using it for basically exactly the same use.

Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working e4f0f3bd-f36c-4788-a670-c46b2354f097.png

EmilyFleet, Jul 18, 2018
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

1. Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working - Similar Threads - Can't eject external

2. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use: Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?...
  3. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use: Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?...
  4. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  5. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  6. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  7. Can't eject external hard drive!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  8. Can not eject external hard drive!

Can not eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads

External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads: I've got a 3.5" drive in a caddy that I use for backups. Up until a couple of weeks ago I could eject it in Windows and it would almost immediately spin down. Now, however, it's started behaving oddly. When I eject it, after Windows has confirmed it's OK to turn it off, the...
  10. Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working: I backed up my File History and did a backup with the link "create a system image" on an external hard drive. I closed all my programs, then tried to "eject" the external drive. I tried many times and got a message that said it is still in use. I finally just unplugged it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant eject click free says its still running