Windows 10: Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment

Discus and support Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Without WinRE I can't repair my system from the hard drive if something happens at boot, or if I need to reset my system.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SkyJP, Aug 24, 2015.

1. SkyJP Win User

Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment

Without WinRE I can't repair my system from the hard drive if something happens at boot, or if I need to reset my system.

This is what happens when I type reagentc /info:

Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment [​IMG]

It shows that WinRE is disabled.

I then typed:

Code: REAGENTC.EXE /setreimage /path c:\windows\system32\recovery[/quote] ... which completed successfully.

The output from "reagentc /info" is unchanged though.

I can't put the WinRE environment out of the disabled state, even when I enable it successfully then try and disable it, it says it was already disabled.

Any ways to fix without a format and clean reinstall?

:)

SkyJP, Aug 24, 2015
  2. RomeC Win User

Error Activating BitLocker Win 10

Hi,

I am trying to enable bitlocker on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.

I keep getting the following notice:

"This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker."

I am the administrator. How do I configure Windows Recovery Environment to enable BitLocker? I initially could configure it but I cancelled before going through the process.

Could someone please help?

Thanks

RomeC, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3186568) - Error 0x80071a30

There is no issue between the C: Drive and the F: Drive.

"device ramdisk=[F:]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{91dab11d-a08b-11e5-93fc-cbf1849a7994}

path \windows\system32\winload.exe

description Windows Recovery Environment"

As stated here, the Windows Recovery Environment is saved in the RAM and not in the hard drive storage. This is the environment is used when the computer can't boot or when you need to do a manual recovery of your system.

Please post back if you need further help.

Katrina Men, Aug 24, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Apparently Windows could not find the Winre.wim in this folder (c:\windows\system32\recovery) so it cannot enable.Can you post a screen shot of Disk Management ?

topgundcp, Aug 24, 2015
  5. SkyJP Win User
    I have a Winre.wim file in the directory that I extracted from an ISO.

SkyJP, Aug 24, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    From what ISO did you extract from ? Because I know install.wim from the ISO of Windows 10 will not mount. I am not sure if you can just simply copy it to C:\Windows\system32\Recovery.

A normal Windows installation will create a 450MB recovery partition for UEFI and 500MB for MBR style installation and will set a folder structure in the Recovery partition as shown below:

Your Disk Management only show 100MB. Did you upgrade from Windows 7 ? if so, it should have created a 450MB Recovery partition and put Winre.wim in there. What happened to it ?

topgundcp, Aug 24, 2015
  7. Carousel Win User
    I created a recovery image on a c-drive using the instructions from tutorial 4287-reset-recovery-image. And that seems fine. I will insert an image of reagentc info. So perhaps I am relatively lucky in comparison.

But I am curious that all my recovery partitions show as being 100% free on disk mgmt, including where reagentc seems to be saying that the recovery environment location -- but not the recovery image -- is. Whereas the screen shots above (not mine) show partitions with content. I asked on some other threads whether I can delete my apparently empty partitions or whether I should be concerned. I am just following "recipes", not really understanding the situation. Any advice appreciated. Note: the disk 1 on my screenshot should be the ssd from the hybrid drive. That this also shows as 100% free also makes me curious / makes me wonder whether the 100% free report is not correct. Hopefully the ssd is being used to make the pc faster... I'll go investigate on an acer forum...

Carousel, Aug 24, 2015
  8. Kyhi Win User

Windows 10 Does Not Use a Recovery Image or a Recovery Image partition...

OP after running > reagentc /enable

reboot

9. SkyJP Win User
    Thanks for any help. Despite all my internet browsing I could never make the Windows RE work, so I did a format and reinstall of Windows 10 (unsafe to use Windows if the recovery environment used to fix it doesn't work...!) which created the 500MB partition.

The partitions are 100% free because they are actually hidden by Windows and you can't access the partition.

If you use a partition manager (3rd party) like EaseUS Partition Master you can unhide the driver, find the real disk usage, and hide it.

SkyJP, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment - Similar Threads - Can't enable Recovery

2. How do you enable the windows recovery environment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you enable the windows recovery environment?: When we type reagentc/enable we get this message: the Windows RE image was not found? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-enable-the-windows-recovery-environment/3c942b48-d899-4c49-ab3d-2c5dd4328987
  3. How do you enable the windows recovery environment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you enable the windows recovery environment?: When we type reagentc/enable we get this message: the Windows RE image was not found? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-enable-the-windows-recovery-environment/3c942b48-d899-4c49-ab3d-2c5dd4328987
  4. How to enable the debugger while in the recovery environment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable the debugger while in the recovery environment?: Background: for one program to work, I needed to disable the debugger in msconfig, after disabling I was asked to restart the PC, after restarting I was shown a blue screen with error 0xc0000001. As far as I understand, the whole point is that the debugger is turned off, how...
  5. As administrator cannot enable recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    As administrator cannot enable recovery environment: I have upgraded from Win 10 to 11 23H2 OS Build 22631.1 and wanted to create a Recovery disk using USB 16GB formatted FAT32.I searched for Create a Recovery Drive and selected back up system files to the recovery drive then selected Next. Connected a USB drive to the PC, then...
  6. As administrator cannot enable recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    As administrator cannot enable recovery environment: I have upgraded from Win 10 to 11 23H2 OS Build 22631.1 and wanted to create a Recovery disk using USB 16GB formatted FAT32.I searched for Create a Recovery Drive and selected back up system files to the recovery drive then selected Next. Connected a USB drive to the PC, then...
  7. Windows Recovery Environment unable to enable Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Recovery Environment unable to enable Win10: Hello, I've moved my recovery partition away from C: so I can expend it more. I have successfully moved my WinRE.wim to the new recovery partition too, so the REAGENTC.exe can actually set the path to the new partition. But somehow, setting the REAGENTC.exe /enable...
  8. Can't get to Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get to Windows recovery environment: Using Dell XPS with Windows 10 and it boots fine. However when the sign in screen appears, the sign in options are missing. The icons in the bottom right are still there and when I try to enter the Windows recovery environment with shift+restart it just restarts the machine...
  9. Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't enable Windows Recovery Environment: hi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Without WinRE I can't repair my system from the hard drive if something happens at boot, or if I need to reset my system. This is what happens when I type reagentc /info: [img] And [img] It shows that WinRE is disabled. Please advice me...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) in Windows 10 Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a recovery environment that can repair common causes of unbootable operating systems....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reagentc cant enable bitlocker

2. cant enable Windows Recovery Enviroment

3. this pc doesnt support entering a bitlocker recovery password during startup ask your administrator to configure windows recovery environment so that you can use bitlocker