Windows 10: can't enter bios menu after system image restore

Discus and support can't enter bios menu after system image restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an Asus UEFI mobo on my custom-built desktop, a few months old. B150M-K D3 It has American Megatrends firmware Today I restored my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by shmu26, Mar 6, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

can't enter bios menu after system image restore

I have an Asus UEFI mobo on my custom-built desktop, a few months old.
    B150M-K D3
    It has American Megatrends firmware

Today I restored my system from a macrium reflect system image. I went back only 2-3 hours in time.
    After rebooting, windows started up fine.
    But the bios reverted to its default settings, although I had previously tweaked it a bit.
    What's more, I can't get to the bios menu at all. I mash the delete key at startup, and I just see a blank screen. Even an hour later, just a blank screen.

This happened to me not so long ago, but that time, the bios screen did eventually appear, and with a little patience I was able to tweak the bios again. But this time it is more stubborn.

I also feel that the boot process is slow. I see the asus advert, and it coughs a couple times and drags on until I get to the windows boot menu where I choose if I want windows 10 or macrium reflect recovery environment.

I very often restore from a system image, and every time, it makes a new bios boot entry. I have dozens of boot entries by now in the bios boot menu. Maybe that's causing a problem?

edit: the fan is unusually loud, although cpu usage is low, just 0-2 %

:)

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016

2. Update Install, "Green Screen", Windows 10, lock

Do you have a system image and system repair disk? Perhaps you have some kind of system recovery option in your bios? My HP is F11 and it will give me several options to try from restore from a point to restoring an image and reset. It should be there
    in your bios menu. I assume all pc makers do this not just HP.

JRD

Jarrod Davis_794, Mar 6, 2016
  3. Access to System image backup folder blocked when trying to re-image my Windows 10 PC

That worked, and I was able to access my Buffalo Tech NAS and the system image I was trying to use. When I try to do the restore, I now get the error message "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image
    was created on a computer using BIOS and the computer is using EFI." I got the same error when I copied the system image folder over to my data drive. In fact, I created the image on the same computer (UEFI) I'm trying to restore back to. I guess the SW erroneously
    thinks the Buffalo Tech NAS BIOS is the operative creation BIOS. Any ideas? Even though Win 7 backup is designed to save (as a valid option) system images to an NAS over a local (wired) network, the backup images are useless because they can't be used for
    a system restore.

Ed Fitzgerald, Mar 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Try holding down shift key when clicking Restart from the power icon. Go through the advance troubleshooting menu until you get the option to change UEFI bios settins (or something like that). Click that and it is supposed to restart into bios without you pressing any keys.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    right. I tried that, but I still get the same blank screen staring at me.

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can also try holding down shift key when you click Shutdown from the power icon. That will override Windows 10 fast startup procedure. After the computer shuts down either remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard or short the pins for CMOS reset on the motherboard. Then restart and try to get into bios.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  7. shmu26 Win User
    last time this happened, I tried the battery trick, but it didn't improve the situation. It still took forever to get to the bios screen.

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds like you have a motherboard/bios hardware problem not related to Windows 10. If/when you can get into bios, I would reflash it.

There should be a way to make a bios flash USB drive. I would do that. Then disconnect all the hard drives/SSDs from the motherboard and boot it with the bios flash USB drive inserted. ASUS should have instructions for that on their website.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  9. shmu26 Win User
    sounds like a plan. Instructions say: Download the latest BIOS file and BIOS Updater from ASUS website and save them on the USB flash drive.
    Okay, I got the bios file, but I can't find the bios updater. I see a utility called ASUS Boot Setting V1.00.22 for Windows win8.1 64bit&win10 64bit.
    Do you think that's it?

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    This might provide more detailed instructions:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._Update_en.pdf

This file says it contains the EZ Update Utility:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis..._D3_V10125.zip

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  11. shmu26 Win User
    shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then I guess the best you can hope for is to reflash the BIOS from Windows.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  13. shmu26 Win User

any advice how to minimize risks?

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  14. Berton Win User
    A biggy, ALWAYS connect the computer to a UPS/Battery backup to assure a power failure or fluctuation doesn't interrupt the process which could result in a dead motherboard. If it's on a Notebook have a fully charged battery and leave plugged into the AC source.

Berton, Mar 6, 2016
  15. shmu26 Win User
    then I'm okay, because I have UPS. I will try to turn off all security software, too, so nothing tries to get in the way.

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

1. can't enter bios menu after system image restore - Similar Threads - can't enter bios

2. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  3. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  4. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't restore system image.

Can't restore system image.: Hello!I'm trying to restore a system image, using a windows 10 USB, I use diskpart or windows 10 installer formatting tools.But I get 1 of 2 error messages:"To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery Environment is currently running...
  6. Can't enter bios

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't enter bios: Windows 10 with wireless mouse and keyboard and HCl motherboard. Unable to enter bios mode as pc starts directly from blue windows screen. How to enter the bios? I.e. removing any hardware, already tried cmos. submitted by /u/CJ__47 [link] [comments]...
  7. System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict

System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict: I created my system restore image on the computer I'm now using a Dell 1525. The original hard drive with this computer was 80 gig and I upgraded to a 180 gig. My BIOS recognized the 180 gig hard drive but Windows did not, therefore my computer was still slow I just...
  8. Can't enter BIOS after drive compression

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't enter BIOS after drive compression: So I decided to compress everything on my main drive which was a horrible idea. [ATTACH] Now I can't enter my BIOS anymore. I tried: Pressing keys on startup Running shutdown /s /fw in cmd but I get this error Boot to firmware UI is not supported by this system's...
  9. System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI: I'm trying to restore my system to its previous state with a system image that I created in Windows 10. The system image is on an external hard drive. When I boot into my Windows installation flash drive, which I used to install the operating system, I get an error. It says,...
  10. Can't Restore from System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't Restore from System Image: I created a system image on a Seagate external hard drive using Windows 10 Home, and I created a restore disc for booting with an external BUFFALO DVD drive connected to a USB port. I went into the UEFI and set my BUFFALO drive as the first drive to be used for booting at...