Windows 10: Can't ever get decent USB3 performance (on several computers)

Discus and support Can't ever get decent USB3 performance (on several computers) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Am I the only person on this board who seems to find it impossible to get any performance improvement with USB3 over USB2. I've had several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 5, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Can't ever get decent USB3 performance (on several computers)

Hi there
    Am I the only person on this board who seems to find it impossible to get any performance improvement with USB3 over USB2. I've had several machines and several different devices -- performance is not what I expected - especially on READS. Copying files to local fast HDD so no network involved or other contention.

Any ideas or does W10 hate USB3 HDD's.

Can't ever get decent USB3 performance (on several computers) [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Dropped My USB3 Capability

I appreciate the suggestions, but I have done those things, several times over, with no help from either.

Using the Troubleshooter (have run it several times with the same results), I get the details:

Hardware changes might not have been detected

Fixed

Scan for recent hardware changes

Completed

I get the exact same results every time with the "Fixed" and then "Completed" reports, but nothing changes and I still cannot get USB3 performance from my USB3 ports.

I have also tried the "Update Driver Software" several times, and each time I get the message that "The best driver software for your device is already installed". So no help there at all. Still no USB3 capability.

I also tried the "Update Driver Software" by removing the driver altogether so that Windows has to find a "new" driver, but Windows just installs the very same driver that it was before. I also made sure to allow Windows to search online rather than on just
    my local drive, and it still installs the same driver as it originally was with no change in USB3 behavior.

I'll note again that USB3 worked great with my Win7Pro operating system, and I only lost USB3 the moment I upgraded to Win10.

I am not a tech, but the only difference from the time I lost USB3 capability was the Win10 upgrade, so there seems to be some kind of compatibility problem with my (long used) USB3 driver and the new Win10 operating system.

What else might you suggest?

Treelander, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Why is netstat -a so slow?

Works pretty fast for me.

You posted in a Win10-specific forum. Does this concern a Win10 computer or...?

Are having or have you had problems installing updates for Win10 or...?

Did you ever get your
    "unhandled exception" problem
    sorted?

Did you ever get
    IE11 (not IE9) running properly
    on the Win7 computer?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 5, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Did you try an SSD instead of HDD over same USB3 adapter ? just to see where is the bottleneck.

CountMike, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't ever get decent USB3 performance (on several computers) - Similar Threads - Can't ever decent

2. Microsoft will you ever care for our performance?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft will you ever care for our performance?: Autopilot.dll WIL error was reported.HRESULT: 0x80070491File: onecoreuap\admin\moderndeployment\autopilot\dll\dllmain.cpp, line 185Message: NULLAutopilot.dll WIL error was reported.HRESULT: 0x80070491File: onecoreuap\admin\moderndeployment\autopilot\dll\dllmain.cpp, line...
  3. Microsoft will you ever care for our performance?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft will you ever care for our performance?: Autopilot.dll WIL error was reported.HRESULT: 0x80070491File: onecoreuap\admin\moderndeployment\autopilot\dll\dllmain.cpp, line 185Message: NULLAutopilot.dll WIL error was reported.HRESULT: 0x80070491File: onecoreuap\admin\moderndeployment\autopilot\dll\dllmain.cpp, line...
  4. Why can't Microsoft write a decent app?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Why can't Microsoft write a decent app?: Of particular attention at the moment is the "Photos" app which once again - despite allowing you to delete folders you don't want included in the app - walpapers, business photographs for instance - continues to include, despite the warning message "this folder will not...
  5. Suffering Severe Performance Issues

Suffering Severe Performance Issues: Hi there, first time posting so bear with me. I've noticed a drastic drop in my laptop performance levels of lately since I've been paying more attention to aspects like memory use and CPU usage. I believe the main culprits are bdservicehost.exe and glasswireCtlServ....
  6. Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I getting so many Frame drops on a decent computer: Hey guys, so around march 2019 I got a dell xps 15 9570 late 2018 model. Specs: IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 12 CPUs, ~2.2GHz GTX 1050ti max q edition 16gb ram 512 gb of SSD with about 238 gb left 4tb external hard drive I don't run games off of it however...
  7. USB2 and USB3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  8. Been getting a decent amount of BSOD

Been getting a decent amount of BSOD: Over the past couple of months I have gotten some BSOD. I ended up reformatting my computer to see if that helped but unfortunately it continued. I have no clue really what exactly is causing it and don't really know how to read bluescreen viewer. Any help would be great....
  9. Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance: Hi there Sharing a LOCAL USB3 HDD with windows I'm not getting very fast transfer for USB 3. Local USB 3 HDD attached to a VM machine on Windows HOST. HDD shared with Windows and VM via SAMBA. Transfer speed though seems slow for USB 3. EXT4 file system is usually V....
  10. Severe Performance loss while gaming

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Severe Performance loss while gaming: Here's the problem. I'm running windows 10 build no. 14352. I know it is expired now and my PC restarts every few hours. The thing is like this, im experiencing poor performance in gaming. My laptop has 8gb ram, i5-5200u, nvdia gt-940m. the date was 13 July. I was gaming...