Windows 10: Can't Expand Windows Partition

Discus and support Can't Expand Windows Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All, I am just trying to expand my Windows partition but the expand option is greyed out. Any advice on how to be able to expand it into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kbenzle, May 12, 2016.

1. kbenzle Win User

Can't Expand Windows Partition

Hello All,

I am just trying to expand my Windows partition but the expand option is greyed out. Any advice on how to be able to expand it into the ~20 GB unallocated space. Thank you.

Can't Expand Windows Partition [​IMG]

:)

kbenzle, May 12, 2016
  2. Shoegoo Win User

Windows 10 "We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

I have a 100mb system partition. I created apace by reducing my hard drive size but can't expand the original original system partition into that space. Any tips?

Shoegoo, May 12, 2016
  3. elle-bi Win User
    Can't update windows 10 -

I can't update windows 10 to version 1607. i receive the error message: "we couln't update system reserved partition", which happens, as I understand, whan system reserved partition in too small.

Unfortunately, as many programs and tools show, I have no system reserved partition in my computer, so I can't expand it

elle-bi, May 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, is this a Windows 10 installation? Are you using legacy BIOS mode or UEFI?

There should at least be a 450Mb Recovery partition (part of Win 10) as well as your Windows partition, and a 100Mb partition if you're using UEFI.

Turning to extending the partition - that is
    a. only possible where the unused area is contiguous with the partition you wish to extend. It isn't in your case.
    b. altering the Windows partition from within Windows is not the way to do it. That would need to be done using bootable medium from a 3rd party partition manager.

dalchina, May 12, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    You need to have an “unallocated disk space” to the right of the Partition\Volume you wish to extend on the same drive. Only when “unallocated disk space” is available “extend” option is highlighted or available.
    Partition extending feature only works with contiguous space on the right side of the partition you would like to extend.
    The only workaround to expand the partition or volume is this case is by using third-party partition editor which has more advanced features.
    Here’s a few free disk partitioning software available:

EaseUS Partition Master
    Paragon Partition Manager
    GParted (Live CD image requires reboot)

Whatphoeb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Expand Windows Partition - Similar Threads - Can't Expand Partition

2. Cannot expand partition size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot expand partition size: Hi,I messed up my partitions and now find myself without space on my C disk, which is creating all sorts of issues. I have tried EaseUS partition manager and AOMEI partition assistant with no luck.It seems that the problem is the disk I want to expand with the non assigned...
  3. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  4. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  5. Expand C Drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand C Drive partition: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop. It has a 480GB SSD fitted, partitioned as C: & E:. There is about 20GB free of 220GB on C: and about 160GB free of 200GB on E:. In Computer Management, the two partitions are adjacent and there is no unallocated...
  6. W10 Partition shrinking/expanding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Partition shrinking/expanding: Recently expanded my 'System Reserved' partition in order to install W10 1903 release. However, expanded it by far too much, so now need to shrink and reallocate to may main Drive C . If I shrink, will the newly unallocated space automatically be placed next to my Drive C...
  7. how to expand boot partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to expand boot partition?: win 10 how to expand boot partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-expand-boot-partition/69767a28-2efb-4a13-9c7b-2462a09bf629
  8. Expanding OS partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Expanding OS partition: Disk Management shows my OS resided on a 223GB partition (C:) on an SSD that has 477GB. The SSD has these partitions: 102 MB Unallocated | OS (C:) 223 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) | 103 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) | 253 GB...
  9. Expand System Reserve Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expand System Reserve Partition: Hi, Have a HP - Windows 10 Desktop. It originally came with windows 7. It upgraded fine to Windows 10, but when the latest version was released, it is unable to update as the System Reserved Partition is only 128 MB. I am also not getting the latest security updates as...
  10. Expanding SSD Partition Size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Expanding SSD Partition Size: I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:. I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive and have unallocated the D: drive. But now I'm having trouble allocating all the space now recovered from D: to the C:...