Windows 10: Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen

Discus and support Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have two BENQ GL2250 monitors connected to my Lenovo H535s via VGA. On bootup the Lenovo logo displays on monitor #2, and not on monitor #1. Then my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by GlenKelly, Oct 6, 2016.

1. GlenKelly Win User

Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen

I have two BENQ GL2250 monitors connected to my Lenovo H535s via VGA. On bootup the Lenovo logo displays on monitor #2, and not on monitor #1. Then my usual display comes up on monitor #1 and monitor #2 goes to sleep.

Tried HDMI leads too and a combination of HDMI+VGA, still having the same issue. Drivers are up to date according to AMD software. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

:)

GlenKelly, Oct 6, 2016

2. Screen Saver Not Working with Dual Monitors in Windows 10

When extended monitor is activated, screensaver only works in your primary screen display. Second display will display a black screen.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Issues with the second monitor as it shows black screen

Original Title: Second Monitor Black Screen

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor connected via HDMI. I recently connected a second monitor via VGA with an unknown resolution (Windows usually defaults it to 1024x768). After a bit of messing around I was able to get both monitors
    working via Extend Displays. However, I changed the resolution on the second monitor, leading to it going black. I tried changing the resolution back to how it was but nothing happened. The monitor itself is fine and when I change other settings (show only
    on 2, duplicate displays) the monitor works and displays everything fine. It only doesn't work when I extend the display. I have tried changing the display to different resolutions (higher and lower) and nothing happens (the main monitor works fine). I tried
    disconnecting everything but nothing works. Is there some sort of solution to my problem?

Update:

I restarted the computer and the first two screens (the manufacturer's logo and the first loading screen) appeared on both monitors, but after that the second one was black.

avanhandel, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen

Are you in Extend mode? Windows logo key *Start + P select Extend.

alphanumeric, Oct 6, 2016
  5. GlenKelly Win User
    Yeah tried that still no luck! Thanks anyway

GlenKelly, Oct 6, 2016
  6. OK, I had to ask the obvious to rule it out. If you go to Settings > System > Display, does it show both monitors? What happens when you click Identify or Detect? Also check Device manager and have a look in "Monitors". See if one has a yellow ! or RED X. The BIOS post showing on the other monitor is normal. I run triple displays and my BIOS Post screen shows on my monitor labeled no 2. The Windows LOG also. Once my desktop loads all 3 screens become active. If I set my display mode to PC only, the boot up shows on monitor no 2, then jumps over to no 1 when my desktop loads. Like yours is doing now. The Video card decides which monitor the BIOS and boot screen shows up on.

alphanumeric, Oct 6, 2016
  7. Forgot to tell you to make sure that each one is set to the correct resolution.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen

1. Can't extend display onto second monitor, black screen - Similar Threads - Can't extend display

2. Is there a way to extend my lock screen onto my second monitor on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to extend my lock screen onto my second monitor on Windows 11?: I have been trying to set my lock screen saver on both of my monitors to no avail. I am using Windows 11 Pro. Could someone help me? If the dual lock screen isn't available, any chance they will make this a feature? It seems like a no-brainer feature to me but I digress....
  3. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  4. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  5. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Extend Display to second and third monitors

Extend Display to second and third monitors: Hi, I have always been able to extend my display but now it seems I cannot. Have tried all the usual, swapping a new screen, trying to connect with new cable, using a different location none of which works. Other people can plug into my screens and extend their displays but...
  7. Second (extended) Display recognized but black

Second (extended) Display recognized but black: I just attempted to fix black extended display issue by upgrading Nvidia 765m driver. Nothing changed. I tested dual display function with Nirsoft's MultiMonitor tool (which DOES show the blue windows background image on the extended monitor in preview), but the extended...
  8. Second monitor black screen.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second monitor black screen.: I have tried downloading multiple drivers to solve my monitor issue. I am trying to connect my external monitor. Having a laptop my main display works. My HDMI works correctly because using the same set up has worked with my TV screen. The monitor works fine with the other...
  9. black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays

black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays: This issue is almost driving me crazy! People where I work use 2 monitors used as extended displays. All the extended displays work fine on Windows 7, but when I upgrade or redo the PC with Windows 10, black lines are on the monitor(s). Sometimes the lines are thin and in...
  10. Cannot extend display to second monitor

Cannot extend display to second monitor: I am using windows 10 pro on my Powerspec desktop PC. I have one HP monitor and one AOC monitor. I had three monitors (one HP and 2 AOC monitors) working fine using extended display. After removing one monitor (now have 2), the extended display does not work any more. I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant extend onto seperat monitor