Windows 10: Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

Discus and support Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One thing that drives me bonkers is having a mouse pointer open any file whose name I might inadvertently hover over for a few seconds. I want files to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FloridaClay, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

One thing that drives me bonkers is having a mouse pointer open any file whose name I might inadvertently hover over for a few seconds. I want files to open ONLY when I double click them. In earlier versions of Windows it was easy to turn the open on hover feature off, which I always did. However there is no option to turn it off in Windows 10 that I can find anywhere in Settings.

Clay

:)

FloridaClay, Oct 18, 2015

2. File Explorer does not open in Windows 10

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Now when I try to open File Explorer, I get the tab on the Taskbar that you get when it opens, and when I hover my mouse over the tab it shows the little thumbnail version of the File Explorer window, but it never
    actually opens the window. I can't get to it to explore my files. Does any know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

Matthew

MatthewRoberson, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Decaedro Win User
    Windows 10 People App

Is there a simple way to remove an account (group) from the half baked People App in Windows 10? I've searched for this answer and can't find it. A simple 'delete' choice on a mouse right click while hovering over the account would have been the logical
    choice.

Decaedro, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

Go to: Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the mouse easier to use.
    Uncheck the hover option.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  5. I had seen that suggestion elsewhere. However, there is no such option available in the Ease of Access section anywhere.

Clay

6. Kanata Win User
    Strange, because I just went exactly there on my system. Someone with home version can perhaps verify this?

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  8. Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

Thanks Brink, but those have to do with Windows 7. It was easy to address in 7, but not so much in 10.

Clay

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Windows 10 has the same settings. *Smile

Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  10. Kanata Win User
    What Brink posted for the part I () mentioned is exactly the same as I saw in my Win 10 install.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  11. Nope. On mine the mouse section of ease of access only offers changes in pointer size and color and an option to use the num pad to navigate. I am running Win 10 Pro, build 10240, on one of my computers and Win 10 Home, build 10240, on the other and it is the same with both.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  13. Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

Yes, you are correct. I had just discovered that. Really, really weird and unintuitive that they would be completely different, but that is another subject. And Control Panel seems much harder to find in Win 10 than in earlier versions. I had to resort to the Windows key + R and a command to ferret it out. But having finally gotten there, the relevant box was not checked. I checked it, clicked apply, then unchecked it and clicked apply again in hopes that will drive a steak through the ugly buggers heart, but only time will tell.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  15. Had already picked that option.

The procedure outlined above, checking the (previously unchecked) hover box, clicking apply, unchecking the hover box, and clicking apply looks like it might be working. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thema:

Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file

1. Can't find any way to prevent mouse hovering from opening a file - Similar Threads - Can't find prevent

2. Can't open any files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open any files.: I'm having an issue opening files on my computer running Windows 10. I've done the latest cumulative update. What's happening is when I open File Explorer and go to the Downloads folder or any folder to open a file, nothing happens. Not even the usual cursor spin, nor does...
  3. Can't open any files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open any files.: I'm having an issue opening files on my computer running Windows 10. I've done the latest cumulative update. What's happening is when I open File Explorer and go to the Downloads folder or any folder to open a file, nothing happens. Not even the usual cursor spin, nor does...
  4. Can't open any files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to stop mouse hover from opening folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop mouse hover from opening folders?: When I am trying to move files on my PC to another folder/storage device, the darn mouse opens/expands the folders before I can let go and place the files where I meant for them to go. There is no problem if there is a single folder with no sub folders. But it happens so...
  6. Can't open any files

Can't open any files: [ATTACH] Anyone know how to fix this ??? submitted by /u/MichaelBlacky [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icktdz/cant_open_any_files/
  7. Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

Is there a way to find the location of an open file?: I'm coming from the MacOS environment where I'd right click on the filename in the titlebar and it'd show me where the file I'm working on is currently saved. Is there a way to find that information in the Windows environment? Thanks in advance for your response! Janvin...
  8. Is there any way to disable that the start menu sidebar opens on hover?

Is there any way to disable that the start menu sidebar opens on hover?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/duradara [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e4144z/is_there_any_way_to_disable_that_the_start_menu/
  9. Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer

Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer: I have a problem with file explorer on windows 10 following the recent update. While drag and dropping a file into a folder, hovering over a folder no longer opens the folder to allow for direct placement into a subfolder. Any solution appreciated. ***Title modified from:...
  10. I can't find any way to meter this

I can't find any way to meter this: Good morning, I was using my smartphone to connect wirelessly to my laptop with Foxfi. With the Android Nougat update, this is no longer allowed. *Mad The workaround was to connect my phone thru a usb connection and use PDAnet (hope a few of you know what I'm talking about)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder opens when mouse hovers

2. prevent folder from opening when mouse hovers