Windows 10: Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S

Discus and support Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi people, my names Jimmy. I got Windows 10 home a few months now and am loving it. No problems whatsoever with the installation or setup/usage and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LightspeeD, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S

Hi people, my names Jimmy. I got Windows 10 home a few months now and am loving it. No problems whatsoever with the installation or setup/usage and it'd fast and bug free. My problem happened just last week...
    I used to press the WIN key & S to search for files. Or i can press the START button and just start typing. It will search for my files & search the internet (cortana search). Now nothing happens when i search.
    When i press WIN+S, and type something, it just sit's there doing nothing, but it seems like Cortana is thinking or about to give out information, but nothing happens at all. Same as on the start menu. I type out something and no information is given, it wont search for any of my files or nothing.
    I am at a lost. In the past, it worked perfectly, like Windows 8.1. Press START, & type.

pls if anyone 'Windows' savy knows or has come across this situation, i will be grateful for any help... yours sincerely Jimmy

:)

LightspeeD, Oct 22, 2015

2. search menu hidden

It's in the Start button's right-click menu (e.g. Win-x S) but you don't need it. Just raise your Taskbar (e.g. press and release the Win- key or press Ctrl-Esc) and start typing. Then you will be "searching".

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Windows Search is completely unresponsive

This is the forth thread about this. I have the same problem. Cortana adds voice reconicion to the search, it is the same search with out Cortana activated.

For instance I have World of Warcraft installed. When I do a search I only get web links. I have Word and Excel installed, neither are found but excel and word mobile in the store are found. If I search paint I see some store items and web links. None of
    my self installed apps can be found.

I did a test and installed classicshell, I also have an SSD so indexing is disabled. That gave me back a Win 7 start menu with search at the bottom and it works, it finds everything even with indexing disabled, but I would rather use the Win 10 start menu.

The main problem seams that Win 10 Search/Cortana doesn't search for local apps properly and local search has been removed from the Win 10 start menu. This isn't a system corruption or indexing issue.

At present Win 10 Search/Cortana seams to be a fancy web search tool and doesn't realize your local system exists making it mush less useful even a little dumb when it cant find things like control panel.

Not sure why re-indexing messed things up, since the guest user works I would try making a new user and see if that works but that won't fix Win 10 Search/Cortana not finding local apps.

TheCaretaker1, Oct 22, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S

JohnC, Oct 22, 2015
  5. hi JohnC and thankyou for taking the time to reply.

I just did it, ran CMD promt as 'admin' : sfc /scannow
    after the 100%, it found no errors. I cant search for any files and i don't see anyone else on the forums with this problem. Apart from this, Windows 10 is perfect.
    I'm thinking about upgrading my hybrid HDD to an SSD, so if anything else is majorly wrong with the OS in the next few months, i will just get the new storage and start with a fresh copy of Windows. Nothing else to do anyways...

LightspeeD, Oct 23, 2015
  6. JohnC Win User
    Since the scf command didn't help you could do a repair install / inplace upgrade that will fix your problems, and then if you decide at a later date to clean install on a new SSD you will already have the media. With the inplace upgrade there is an option to keep your files and programs. Window store app have to be reinstalled again. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade .

JohnC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S

1. Cant find 'my files' or 'search the web' in start button/menu or WIN+S - Similar Threads - Cant find 'my

2. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  3. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  4. Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs

Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs: I've been having an issue for a while where the Win 10 Start Menu Search is not finding many of the program I have installed, it will find some but many are missing. I can scroll down on the Start menu and find the "missing" programs but if I use search(press start menu and...
  5. disable web search start menu 1909

disable web search start menu 1909: Does anyone know how to disable the start menu sending everything you type in there to microsoft? I tried the tricks from previous builds ( reg entries forAllowSearchToUseLocation,BingSearchEnabled and CortanaConsent ) but in 1909 it continues to send whatever I search for...
  6. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  7. My search cant find files

in Cortana
    My search cant find files: i have done everything possible to do. been on so many sites trying to fix it. for some reason when i search i cannot find any files or apps using the start search or in documents search. i have checked my service is running. i have i did few cmd commands. i have tried...
  8. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  9. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...