Windows 10: Can't find "show password" for homegroup

Discus and support Can't find "show password" for homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks - having trouble recovering my password for a Homegroup, Windows 10. I know, know - I don't know why I don't have it written down along... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bsn321, Feb 7, 2016.

1. bsn321 Win User

Can't find "show password" for homegroup

Hi folks -

having trouble recovering my password for a Homegroup, Windows 10. I know, know - I don't know why I don't have it written down along with my other bazillion passwords...

I'm on the computer I used to set up the Homegroup, which I vaguely recall setting up a year or two ago when we first got this desktop. I'd like for other computers to access files on this desktop, I assume via the Homegroup. but I can't recall the password to connect to this desktop via Homegroup.

I've read that if I'm logged into the account on the computer used to create the homegroup, I should be able to go through control panel/Homegroup/show or print password - but I don't see that option.

When I go to CP/Homegroup... it says "bsn on NISNESTPC has created a Homegroup on the network" - and only gives me two buttons to "join now" or "close". If I attempt to "join now" - I get as far as needing to enter the password, of which I can't remember. There are also 2 links for "change advanced sharing settings..." and "start the homegroup troubleshooter". Neither of which are helpful.

In short - how can I recover my forgotten HomeGroup password in Windows 10??

Many thanks.

:)

bsn321, Feb 7, 2016

2. My homegroup stopped working

My homegroup stopped working after the 9/17/16 Microsoft 10 update. My desktop & laptops invite me to join the homegroup. But when I type in my last password, it spins without getting anywhere. When I try to connect to my Network, and click on the "User"
    folder, a folder appears called "Default.migrated" (created 9/17/16) and gets me nowhere. I can't create a new homegroup, nor change or print it's password. My documents folder now shows "Not shared", but I can't find a way to share it again, since I have
    to join the Homegroup to do so. I need help.

BettyeShelton, Feb 7, 2016
  3. cory330 Win User
    Homegroup problems

Unable to find my Homegroup password or delete my homegroup because the "other homegroup actions" button is missing on the bottom of the Homegroup page. Unable to find an answer to this problem.

cory330, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

Windows 10 Run Command [Windows-Logo]+[R] and enter the command:
    control.exe /name Microsoft.HomeGroup and click the text Change Password.

Railtech, Feb 8, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Go to the computer that initially created the Homegroup.
    Go to File Explorer > left side, RIGHT click at HomeGroup > click View the HomeGroup password.

Can't find "show password" for homegroup [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 8, 2016
  6. bsn321 Win User
    davidhk: thanks for this tip. However I discovered that when I right click on HomeGroup as you suggested, the option to "view the HomeGroup password" is grayed-out. I must be missing something!! Any further advice?

Railtech: thanks. I haven't tried this yet as I'm curious to know first why the option above is grayed-out for me. But curious to know: when I attempt to change my password, won't I need to know my current one?

Thanks

bsn321, Feb 8, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    You signed in on your admin account or just a standard user account ?

davidhk, Feb 8, 2016
  8. bsn321 Win User

actually - and update:

Today when I went to look at the Homegroup, it no longer said there was a homegroup created by "". So I created a new one.

Now I seem to have admin over it. I will continue exploring how this all works, but in the meantime, some quick questions that are top of mind:

- When I choose to create a homegroup - it defaults (automatically) names it "". This is a familiar name I must have used somewhere along the line - but where does the name of the homegroup come from? in this case, It's not my account name, it's not my email address - I'm not sure what it is. and would seem I cannot change the name of the homegroup once it's created. I did notice that if I leave the homegroup, I can start over, but still not sure where that is coming from?

- once i have the homegroup established, and it's set to share my pictures, documents, etc. - how can I access these documents from another computer? I will try to learn more here but any useful links/instruction for laymen greatly appreciated.

bsn321, Feb 9, 2016
  9. chenzhang Win User
    Please help!

I had the same issue that the original poster has.

When hit HomeGroup in the control panel, what I got looks like on another computer when clicking the HomeGroup button. It says "Chen on Chen-XPS has created a homegroup on the network" and provides "join now" or "close" two buttons. But I am Chen and this is Chen-XPS! It seems that this computer doesn't know this and treats it some other computer.

If I use "run" to run "control.exe/name Microsoft.HomeGroup" I got " Windows cannot find 'control.exe/name'."

I am the only person using this computer and I am the administrator.

I believe this problem appears after recent OS update.

chenzhang, Jul 12, 2017
  10. chenzhang Win User
    Update -

So I clicked "join in" button and enter a random password. Of course it doesn't work and it takes a few minutes and eventually shows an error and says this homegroup doesn't exist and let me create a new one.

I guess it is because the major system update I got a while ago screwed this up.

Everything is OK now.

chenzhang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't find "show password" for homegroup - Similar Threads - Can't find show

2. Can't sign in and find the password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in and find the password: Hi,I have to sign in a microsoft account to use my PC. However, I forget the password and since the account email was my college email which has already expired, I can't check the code. I need to unlock my account and somehow sign in to use my PC. Please help....
  3. Can't sign in and find the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't sign in and find the password: Hi,I have to sign in a microsoft account to use my PC. However, I forget the password and since the account email was my college email which has already expired, I can't check the code. I need to unlock my account and somehow sign in to use my PC. Please help....
  4. Can't sign in and find the password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to reset homegroup password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset homegroup password: How do I reset my homegroup password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-homegroup-password/6031a9b6-2b24-49ed-9085-66827a358d1d
  6. can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10

can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10: All of the instructions that I seem to be able to find in reference to View (find) the password for a Homegroup give me instructions such as "1. Click Start & then click Control Panel"; "2. Click Network and Internet and then click HomeGroup"; 3. View or print the homegroup...
  7. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  8. Homegroup Password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup Password?: Where do I find my homegroup password? I can see questions on the forum but I don't know how to view the answers or replies. Thank you, Shirley https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-password/c32b50ed-6076-46c1-a35a-bc5daae0a932
  9. can't connect to the homegroup

can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  10. Can't get Homegroup Password

Can't get Homegroup Password: Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant show windows password