Windows 10: can't format external my passport

Discus and support can't format external my passport in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; was using the 2TB version and was backing up with it and decided to just delete everything and use as a storage device (drive). Now I can't access it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BruceAbraham, Jul 15, 2018.

1. can't format external my passport

was using the 2TB version and was backing up with it and decided to just delete everything and use as a storage device (drive). Now I can't access it and when I try to format it will go all the way and then say unable to format. I did not use any password function when I was backing up.

:)

BruceAbraham, Jul 15, 2018
  2. mac_user Win User

Reliable 1TB External Drive

I would suggest this one. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Externe Festplatte - WDBBKD0020BWT - USB 3.0

mac_user, Jul 15, 2018
  3. Atnevon Win User
    External WD Passport: Which format?

Well Happy Thanksgiving TPU and Merry Black Friday!!!

I hope everyone had a safe and joyful Thanksgiving and had some time from, (or to give) from our rigs to tolerate our parents and family for a while.

Anyway, I had camped out at staples this morning and am now the proud owner of a 120 WD Passport for my happy backing up needs. I have however a few questions.

I often go from Mac to PC, and vice versa. SO I was wondering what format to put my drive in so that it can be written to both. I know there are format differences, but just wondered if this were possible.

Thanks agian everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone
    -Andrew

Atnevon, Jul 15, 2018
  4. can't format external my passport

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

can't format external my passport

1. can't format external my passport - Similar Threads - can't format external

2. My Passport external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Passport external HDD.: Good morning all Iuse the above to store all my photos. Occasionally when I plug it in so I can perhaps post a photo to Facebook for example it shows up as if I,d clicked on the drive to use it when I hadn,t .Then sometimes it will not show in file explore and then I...
  3. WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.: When I try to set up the WD Apps I get a message " This app can't run on your PC. " I am trying to restore files to a new PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport-1tb-external-harfd-drive/6ac13f82-25ef-47f3-b04d-8a2c40efd026
  4. WD My passport External hard drive not working

WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  5. Can't format external hard disk

Can't format external hard disk: I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-external-hard-disk/04f8e492-9b46-431e-905d-812da33a1418
  6. RETRIEVE PICTURE FROM EXTERNAL PASSPORT

RETRIEVE PICTURE FROM EXTERNAL PASSPORT: RETRIEVE PICTURE FROM EXTERNAL PASSPORT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieve-picture-from-external-passport/708011e5-e8f2-4944-b910-29083a5fd214"
  7. West Digital Passport external HD can't access files

West Digital Passport external HD can't access files: HI all, I have a 1TB external HD that I can't seem to access any files on. I have about 450gb of data/pics/junk on this HD and I'd like to access it. I thought it might have been a a permission problem, but I've made read/write available to the HD. I have run chkdsk and fix...
  8. can't format my 1TB external

can't format my 1TB external: My Seagate 1TB external won't reformat. I put Macrium Reflect 7 on my computer because I need to change my hard drive. I tried cloning my computer. I plugged the external in and it erased all my data and changed the name to F:Reserve. When I try to open it, it says file...
  9. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  10. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...