Windows 10: Can't format local drive

Discus and support Can't format local drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a local Disk (D), which it's content is from my previous PC (Drive C in my previous PC). I don't need it anymore, and I think it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sharegev, May 31, 2016.

1. Sharegev Win User

Can't format local drive

Hi,
    I have a local Disk (D), which it's content is from my previous PC (Drive C in my previous PC).
    I don't need it anymore, and I think it is causing problems to Office.

I uninstalled Office, and I'm trying to format this D drive, before I install a newer version of Office.
    But I get this message: "Windows was unable to complete the format".

When I try to delete the folders in Drive D I get this message: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder". But I don't know where and how to do this.

Can you please advise? (I prefer to just format it)
    Thanks,
    Sharon

:)

Sharegev, May 31, 2016

2. How to remove extra drive from my PC?

My PC shows extra drive by the name local disk (ZCan't format local drive :). I can't open this or format this drive, tried to delete it from disk management but still no use. Please suggest me some ways.

Akash Ranjan, May 31, 2016
  3. I need to format an external drive

What is the make and model of the drive?

Do you have access to a working spare computer you could try formatting on?

See if you can view the drive and format it using Disk Part:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/format-local-d...

If not, then the drive might be failing.

You could download a free utility such as Ease Partition Home or Gparted then try formatting the drive using either.

Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2016
  4. Can't format local drive

DeaconFrost, May 31, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    The easiest thing to try first is to restart Windows in Safe Mode and try to delete the folder from there.

Whatphoeb, Jun 1, 2016
  6. Bastet Win User
    Try formatting the drive via command prompt.

• Go to DOS command line (click on "Start Menu", then "Run", type in "cmd" in textbox, and hit "OK")
      • Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
      • Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
      • Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.
        For example "select disk 1".
      • Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
      • Go back to Disk Management, you can see disk is "Not Initialized" now.
      • Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see disk is "Unallocated" now.
      • Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Bastet, Jun 1, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    +1 with the above, diskpart should do the right job.

If you are not savvy with command line, you may let Windows another go. Delete the partition first, and then create a new one in the free space.

If Windows still fails, you may let Free Partition Wizard do the job. *Arrow How to format partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial If Free Partition Wizard is not able to do the job, as Windows was, The Bootable Partition Wizard CD will never fail.

In short, you have lots of ways to do this job.

Thema:

Can't format local drive

1. Can't format local drive - Similar Threads - Can't format local

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format A drive to NTFS

Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Local drive 'C' formatted in error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local drive 'C' formatted in error: Hello everyone,A friend of mine has accidentally formatted the local drive 'C' in error instead of a USB stick.Not known if: a the whole drive was formatted and/or contents data files deleted.b only the partition containing the OS was formatted therefore the data files are...
  7. Can RAMDRIVE WINPE format local hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can RAMDRIVE WINPE format local hard drive?: I have a winpe vhdx ramdrive.After setup the system reboots to it without issue.A network path is then used to automate formatting and building a fresh OS.This fails and the system BSODs.I have tried also running diskpart from the winpe ramdisk and cleaning the drive. This...
  8. Can't Log Into Local Account after Format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Log Into Local Account after Format: So, I formatted my PC and I believe because of my Windows Key it knew I got my windows from my university so it demanded I put in my uni information to make my account. (I hear Microsoft doesn't like local accounts anymore). Anyhow I did and wanted to go in and make a new...
  9. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  10. Can't format dynamic drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format dynamic drive: Trying to add a second HDD to my friend's PC to give more storage. The HDD in question was previously the OS drive in an old PC and still has some windows and program files on it., Want to format but I can't format or delete the volume. And because it's a dynamic...