Windows 10: Can't (fully) change foldernames

Discus and support Can't (fully) change foldernames in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 I have inherited some files in several folders. I need to change the foldernames. I have changed the foldernames in the usual way (F2).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSter2, Dec 29, 2017.

1. BobSter2 Win User

Can't (fully) change foldernames

Windows 10
    I have inherited some files in several folders. I need to change the foldernames.

I have changed the foldernames in the usual way (F2). But when I copy or move the folders elsewhere (to the same or other partition/drive) the resultant folder reverts to the old foldername.

The original folders (the ones I inherited and then "renamed") display my New folder names in the regular folder views; and also in the Properties>General tab. However, under the Properties>Security tab, the "Object name" is listed as a path statement which includes the OLD Foldernames. I assume that this is the root of my problem. How can I change the Object name?

thanks

for info:

Windows10 Home 1709

Read-only attributes:
    For the FILES inside the folders: The Read-only attributes checkbox is unchecked
    The folder itself: The Read only attributes checkbox has a small solid black square inside the checkbox. The label to the right of the checkbox says "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)". If I click this twice (to make the box unchecked) and then commit to the changes; when I come back to the folder it is back in the same condition.

Permissions on the folders are:
    Adminstrators: Full control; Modify; Read&Execute; List Folder Contents; Read;Write;
    Users: was Modify; Read&Execute; List Folder Contents, Read. But I have modifed it to also include Full Control and Write.

I am the only user on this machine an I login with Admin privs by default.

I haven't had any similar problems for the last, well, 20 years.

edit:
    I notice that someone else is having a similar problem here: Folder name change does not take - Windows 10 Forums

Not sure whether it is an identical cause or not. (edit : it now looks like it is a different cause)

My last updates to Windows 10 were: Features: v1709 (6 weeks ago) and Qualty: KB4058043 on 17 December

Hardware: Lenovo Yogo 2 Pro laptop.

:)

BobSter2, Dec 29, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

flash drive

you might open command prompt and view the folders in that flash drive, assuming you know the flash drive's Letter and change F below to its drive Letter;

dir F:\ this will list all the folders<dir> foldername

Then you can delete a folder to make some room after copying that folder to your hard drive, might use a command like

MKdir c:\temp this will make a temp folder on your C drive

xcopy F:\foldername c:\temp this will move the folder to c:\temp , look & verify before you delete the folder contents on your flash drive;

DEL F:\foldername

'Mike P, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - Copy and paste functionality in file explorer

The answer may be not to use Windows FileExplorer. Instead use the CMD prompt and XCOPY

For example, copy new (do not exist on backup disk) and newer versions of files from

C:\FOLDERNAME to E:\FOLDERNAME

Start CMD.EXE

C:

CD \FOLDERNAME

E:

CD \FOLDERNAME

XCOPY C:*.* /D E:*.* /Y

The /D switch just copies files which are dated/time stamped later than those on the destination (ECan't (fully) change foldernames :)

The /Y switch suppresses the need to confirm each overwrite file by file.

The above commands can be put into a batch file (e.g. BACKC2E.BAT) and then create a desktop icon for ease of deployment.

deepthinker, Dec 29, 2017
  4. BobSter2 Win User

I have learned that the affected folders had something in common. They had all previously had their contents (.jpgs) reordered and renamed using Adobe Bridge (and it appears that they each still contained a hidden .bridgesort file.

Maybe Bridge broke something or the sort file was somehow preventing the foldername being changed properly.

Anyways, I have created new folders now and moved the files into those, which has fixed the problem. Thanks for looking.

BobSter2, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't (fully) change foldernames - Similar Threads - Can't fully change

2. Windows 10 C:\Users\foldername can't be changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 C:\Users\foldername can't be changed: Is this have anything to do with a microsoft account? because I have tried many threads and gone through every single youtube video yet I'm not finding a solution on how to change that user on my C:\Users it have been the same ever since perhaps someone can tell me what to do...
  3. Windows 10 C:\Users\foldername can't be changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 C:\Users\foldername can't be changed: Is this have anything to do with a microsoft account? because I have tried many threads and gone through every single youtube video yet I'm not finding a solution on how to change that user on my C:\Users it have been the same ever since perhaps someone can tell me what to do...
  4. Windows 10 C:\Users\foldername can't be changed

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. System language not fully changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System language not fully changing: Dear community,I am using Win10 and have changed language settings in Settings -> Regional, as well as -> Language -> Windows Display Language and Region -> Administrative language settings from English to to Germany German. I even deleted all other Preferred Languages beyond...
  6. System language not fully changing

System language not fully changing: Dear community,I am using Win10 and have changed language settings in Settings -> Regional, as well as -> Language -> Windows Display Language and Region -> Administrative language settings from English to to Germany German. I even deleted all other Preferred Languages beyond...
  7. How to change users foldername?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change users foldername?: Hi,I'm trying to change the name of a folder in C:\Users.I have searched around for answers, but have not found a functional solution.What I have tried:- Created another user with Admin and tried changing the name from that account.- Changed value in the register...
  8. NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS foldernames change when moving to another NTFS drive: Sometimes I change the name of NTFS folders on my disc drives. When I move these folders to another drive Cut/Paste commands the NTFS filenames get again the original filename just before the rename on the original disc. What can this ? Is this an indexing problem ? I must...
  9. pc can't fully charge

pc can't fully charge: bought last year June, reformatted at this year June In the past 2 days, however i charges my PC, it just won't pass 92% and there's also a problem is that it doesn't shows countdown until fully charges ooh please anyone give me some clear instruction about what should I...
  10. SSD Not Fully Recognized, can't change drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD Not Fully Recognized, can't change drive letter: Hi guys, I recently got a 1T Samsung Evo 970 Plus to put in my lenovo legion y520. I think windows sees it, but the drive is not showing up in my computer. I went to disk management to try and change the drive letter, and what I assume is the ssd is labelled as "healthy...