Windows 10: Can't get a login prompt

Discus and support Can't get a login prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my other computer I misunderstood some troubleshooting instructions and selected "diagnostic startup" in msconfig. When I rebooted I found that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Can't get a login prompt

On my other computer I misunderstood some troubleshooting instructions and selected "diagnostic startup" in msconfig. When I rebooted I found that I could no longer get the prompt to enter my PIN or password, meaning that I can no longer log in. All I see is my name and, below it, a spinning wheel. When I forced a shutdown by holding down the power button I did see a password prompt about a second before the machine shut down, but that doesn't help me very much. Is there a way to regain access?

EDIT: I said that I see my name and a spinning wheel. Actually sometimes I don't see the spinning wheel and sometimes I don't see my name either. The only thing that is consistent is that I can't log in.

:)

ricecrispies, Nov 10, 2017
  2. ishabaugh Win User

I have just bought Nokia E52. I have successfully configured and set up my email account. The issue is when I click on 'connect' or 'Synchronize' then after few minutes I get a prompt 'Unable to login, Try Again' and ask me the password again.

I have typed password so many times but every time I get the same prompt.

Please help!

ishabaugh, Nov 10, 2017
  3. ishabaugh Win User

I have the latest version also.

Please help!

ishabaugh, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Can't get a login prompt

I found this on an old thread, which enabled me to solve the problem:
    "If you start up the machine to the (missing) logon prompt and switch it OFF (hold down power switch) three (3) times it will start in safe mode, the third time, and you have the same options :

After logon, i got the screen where it gave me the option to choose the "Troubleshoot". I clicked on the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    When it is restarted, it gave me the option to enter the safe mode. After booting the machine with safe mode, it prompted the password to login.
    I logged in and uncheck the "safe boot" (in MSCONFIG). After another restart, it prompted to enter password to login."

The only added complication was that typing was disabled in the search box while in safe mode. I got round this by doing windowskey + R to get a prompt and typing "msconfig" in that.

ricecrispies, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

Can't get a login prompt

1. Can't get a login prompt - Similar Threads - Can't login prompt

2. Keep getting authenticator login prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep getting authenticator login prompts: Hello Microsoft community, For the past few weeks I've been getting automatic authenticator prompts. I thought that someone somehow gained access to my password. Very unlikely because I use a password manager and a VERY strong password. Upon logging into my account it turns...
  3. Keep getting authenticator login prompts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep getting authenticator login prompts: Hello Microsoft community, For the past few weeks I've been getting automatic authenticator prompts. I thought that someone somehow gained access to my password. Very unlikely because I use a password manager and a VERY strong password. Upon logging into my account it turns...
  4. Keep getting authenticator login prompts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to get login prompt

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to get login prompt: My screen is blurry and I am unable to get a login prompt. Using CTL/ALT/DEL does work. Also tried using the shift power button. I was trying to reboot the pc in safe mode when this happened and every restart results with no changes. Thanks, Jim [ATTACH]...
  6. Can't get past Login

Can't get past Login: When i try to login my login window will not accept any typing in the box. Can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-past-login/c14fc8d4-a390-44ae-89a2-76a3978acbd3
  7. No login prompt

No login prompt: Hi all, I have been encountering an irritating issue. My PC, an Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home, does not prompt the login page after starting the PC. After a seemingly normal and fast boot, I get the screen with the clock and date, but after clicking on it, there is no...
  8. Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify: I have a vexing problem since the Anniversary update on my Vaio. I have been using Windows 10 on this machine successfully for over a year. Here are the exact symptoms: I boot up the laptop from a cold state. The boot appears normal and my personal background appears on...
  9. No login prompt at login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No login prompt at login screen: As can be seen in the picture, sometimes after locking the computer, unlocking is impossible because there is no where to enter the password and the screen is almost empty but the options on the bottom left. Any way to fix that? [img] 63359
  10. Can't get the login prompt on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get the login prompt on windows 10?: Hello everyone! I got a my router, ASUS router RT-N66U, with a shared harddrive that I use as media server. Under my desktop pc I can see the harddrive and LOGIN to it and watch what's inside, but I can't do that on my laptop? I can see the drive on my laptop but when I...