Windows 10: Can't Get Boot to BIOS

Discus and support Can't Get Boot to BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi... Have a Dell XPS 8300 which came with Win7 Home Premium. 10-12 days ago, finally got my system upgraded to Win10... but, after completing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevek50, Sep 4, 2015.

1. stevek50 Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

Hi...

Have a Dell XPS 8300 which came with Win7 Home Premium. 10-12 days ago, finally got my system upgraded to Win10... but, after completing the password, all I get is a black screen.

FINALLY figured out it's because this motherboard came with an on-board VGA and delivered with an add-on VGA/HDMI board... It's truly annoying... but tapping Window-P (keys) gets me to where I can choose "which screen"... biggest rub being I'm doing it in the blind.

Soooo... I want to get into my PC's BIOS to disable the on-board video... at other times, I'd like to be able to change other BIOS stuff like Boot Sequence, etc. HOWEVER... Win10 seems to have disabled the keyboard (no F2, F12, etc) until Win10 takes control and intercepts. Googled and found several "fixes" but none work.

Anyone know how I can boot this system... and get into it's BIOS... PREFERABLY directly at startup??

Also, why does SHUTDOWN NOT totally power this machine off?? Hate internal lights being on... keep seeing my Ethernet lights blink... and getting tired of pulling the cord??!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

:)

stevek50, Sep 4, 2015
  2. LeeBee44 Win User

Trying to reset a W10 PC after a free upgrade to sell on.

I can't get the PC to boot from the USB even when changing the settings in the bios...

LeeBee44, Sep 4, 2015
  3. Booting from CD

Hey.. I need to change boot type to CD, but I can't find it. F2 I am getting into BIOS, how about boot menu?

RileyDavis., Sep 4, 2015
  4. me75006 Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

Just a thought, if you a USB keyboard, plug that in & see if tapping ?(F2 or F12) at POST time will get you in.

Edit: start tapping the key as early as possible in the boot up process.

me75006, Sep 4, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    got some suggestion, but mostly only the easy ones ,
    1-windows will not shut the power off to the computer ,none I ever had anyway ,so I use a small power adapter with a switch on it ,on my computer desk and plug my tower into it , just shutdown windows and then turn off the power bar switch .

2-for the video issue ,go to device manager and make sure it has latest drivers for the video card that was added,click on the display device and tell it to update and check for latest ,it will look on line and find the best drive for the device ,,, it been a few years sing computers started disabling the onboard as soon as you plug in the addon card ..

3- try the DEL or Esc key yo get into bios

caperjack, Sep 4, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Sep 4, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    You can access the bios via win10 install media and then using the repair options. The below options for Win8 are the same for Win10

Can't Get Boot to BIOS [​IMG]

Can't Get Boot to BIOS [​IMG]

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  8. stevek50 Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

Hi guys...

Tried (many times) the standard keystrokes at startup... F2 to BIOS, etc.

From most of what I've found on GOOGLE... Win10 has a FAST BOOT option which over-rides any manufacturer's keystrokes... only thing that seems to get anywhere is "constant F2" which goes into Win10 options. Several said "disable Fast Boot"... did that but didn't get anywhere also.

Win7, Win8 totally powered down this PC... again, Win10 seems to be the problem. Personally, I think they keep it alive so they can dump hard drives at night or whatever they do to send MY data back to Redmond.

Getting to BIOS more important to me right now tho... need to disable that on-board video... else it takes me 5-10 minutes to get to a DESKTOP (from the black screen)

Thanks tho...
    Steve

stevek50, Sep 4, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Only be good if had a picture.

jds63, Sep 4, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    I just edited and is working at my end. Any better at your end?

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    No, not sure what you meant

jds63, Sep 4, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Wonder if thread starter has a windows 7 disc, ways of getting one from MS.

jds63, Sep 4, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

bios has fast boot option not windows 10 ,that's why you don't find it ,and it maybe that you don't have a uefi firmware bios neither ,that's why the win10 repair option doesn't show it.
    andi said it before and ill say it again ,computers have been disabling onboard video as soon as it detects the addin video card ,for a few years now ,so if you di get into the bios you will not find a setting for to dieable it ,,, what you need to do is reinstall win7 and start the upgrade over

caperjack, Sep 4, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Thought OP had no picture at all. Plus might not be a Display issue and if a slot card should be no need to disable integrated card to get a picture, think Windows would put a default driver temporarily.

jds63, Sep 4, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    Good point about UEFI. In that case an alternative to try before reinstalling:

• Disconnect all external devices except for keyboard & mouse
    • Disconnect or remove all components connected to the motherboard except for cpu and ram.
    • Remove graphics card
    • Remove battery to reset bios, wait a minute and reinsert
    • Boot into bios

If that works and you can change the settings to your requirements. You can then reconfigure Win10 to allow legacy boot so F8 for safe mode and all other associated boot options work. This will prevent any future problems accessing troubleshooting options and bios

WhyMe, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

1. Can't Get Boot to BIOS - Similar Threads - Can't Boot BIOS

2. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get into BIOS: Hello, I've run into this problem. Until recently, my laptop Acer nitro 5 an515-44 had two operating systems windows and linux. At one point, due to my stupidity, I cleared the partition in which there was linux, later I needed to go into the BIOS, but when it is turned on,...
  3. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get into BIOS: Hello, I've run into this problem. Until recently, my laptop Acer nitro 5 an515-44 had two operating systems windows and linux. At one point, due to my stupidity, I cleared the partition in which there was linux, later I needed to go into the BIOS, but when it is turned on,...
  4. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't: I downloaded something on my laptop and noticed some very obvious signs I'd gotten a virus, so I shut it down and got a windows installation on a USB to wipe it clean. Only problem is I can't seem to get into the BIOS when I start it, no keys to get in show when it's...
  6. Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't: I downloaded something on my laptop and noticed some very obvious signs I'd gotten a virus, so I shut it down and got a windows installation on a USB to wipe it clean. Only problem is I can't seem to get into the BIOS when I start it, no keys to get in show when it's...
  7. Can't boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into BIOS: Fast boot is turned off. Every time I boot there is no screen until the login screen, the screen remains in standby. Even mashing the keys to get into the BIOS leaves me on a dead screen or just ignores it and boots into Windows. submitted by /u/-EUROBEAT- [link]...
  8. CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS: Hi. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 to my Acer Aspire A515-52, running Windows 10, but I cannot Boot into the Bios, I tried repeatelly pressing the F2, F12 and even the delete Keys and nothing. Please help...
  9. Can't Boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot into BIOS: I've tried every suggestion I've found on the internet, but no luck... Windows 10 lastest update. MSI Gaming Pro Carbon board with Ryzen 7 1700, using Ryzen power plan. When I first built this board I turned off the annoying MSI BIOS splash screen on startup, and now I guess...
  10. Can't get into the Bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't get into the Bios: I have a Gateway NE56R52u that I upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home and I can't get into the Bios. I've been on google all afternoon and tried everything but no luck. I have a HP desktop that I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and I can get into the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. im typing f2 but cant get to bios