Windows 10: Can't get computer to boot from dvd

Discus and support Can't get computer to boot from dvd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been through the Recovery route to boot to the UEFI screen. The boot order facility doesn't seem to work, or I don't understand it. I can't change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Syncopator, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Can't get computer to boot from dvd

I've been through the Recovery route to boot to the UEFI screen. The boot order facility doesn't seem to work, or I don't understand it. I can't change the order in the list.

Can someone explain it to me please?

It's a Hewlett-Packard 110-412na if that's relevant.

:)

Syncopator, Sep 6, 2017
  2. JackObug Win User

Windows 10 Clean install - A Media driver your computer needs is missing

If you get this when trying to boot from a DVD burned from the ISO make certain that the DVD is a DVD+R and not a DVD-R. Some computer bands (like HP) have issues if booted from a DVD-R.

JackObug, Sep 6, 2017
  3. Couldnt verify key. Check installation media

I am attempting to load 10 into a completely blank computer. I wiped it clean with boot and nuke. No operating system. No internet connection. Nothing. I have a DVD and I'm booting from that. I get this error message when I try to enter the product key.
    Why can't I just load the OS onto the hard drive from the windown 10 DVD I bought?

JamesGillissen, Sep 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't get computer to boot from dvd

If you are shutting down from Windows 10, make sure to hold down the shift key when you click shutdown, so the computer does not shutdown to the "fast startup" mode. You want the computer to shut down all the way.

Press the power key. Immediately at the first signs of life, start repeatedly pressing the ESC key until you get the boot menu. You should be able to select the DVD to boot from. Of course, the DVD disc has to be in the drive....

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2017
  5. Am I to forget the Recovery route then?

Syncopator, Sep 6, 2017
  6. Ok, I've done it.

My previous efforts brought up the boot order window, but I had selected the wrong option.

They were:

UEFI Boot Sources
    Windows Boot Manager
    Legacy Boot Sources
    ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
    SATA1
    Hard Drive
    SATA0
    Network Controller ..... something or other.

I had selected ATAPI CD/DVD Drive, but that resulted in a normal boot to the desktop. Astonishing.

How on Earth could that happen? What does ATAPI CD-DVD Drive mean ?
    I tried again, and, thinking I had nothing to lose, chose the SATA1 option, which worked.

However, booting from the required disk didn't lead to the ultimate requirement, which was for SpinRite to run.

That will be the subject of a new thread.

Syncopator, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't get computer to boot from dvd

1. Can't get computer to boot from dvd - Similar Threads - Can't computer boot

2. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  3. Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?: Can I boot my Levono computer from DVD? Apparently he wants to prevent me from installing a decent operating system on it. Bei Lenovo-Rechner von DVD booten?
  4. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from a DVD?: I got a new computer but when I put a bootable DVD it won't boot from it, it just goes back into windows 10? What can I do to make it boot from my DVD? 162249
  5. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a DVD?: How can I boot from a DVD? 162257
  6. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  7. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  8. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  9. Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD: Hi My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup. They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running....
  10. Boot from a linux DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a linux DVD: Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972