Windows 10: Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop

Discus and support Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Alright, I've been trying to find anyone with a similar problem, tried some different things but none worked. I have a jack on the side of the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Enferlain, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Enferlain Win User

Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop

Alright, I've been trying to find anyone with a similar problem, tried some different things but none worked.
    I have a jack on the side of the laptop as usual, where I plug my headphones which do work perfectly. The laptop's internal speakers also work. The problem comes when I try to plug in external speakers. So far I've tried 3 sets, 2 of them with a jack plug and one with a normal USB plug. The issue is with all 3 that only one half works properly, the other is very quiet and distorted. I've also tried streaming sound onto my phone and plugging the speakers into the phone itself, but same deal as before.

Is it a hardware issue? If yes, why do headphones and the internal speakers work?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be thankful.

I'm running windows 10 home 64bit on a Lenovo y500

:)

Enferlain, Mar 8, 2016
  2. Jay Jap Win User

In Microsoft Edge, video after pause has a buzzing sound and the video speed is in slow motion

I appreciate the information, Connie. If you are using an external speaker, make sure that the cablesare not loose and it is connected properly. If this is a laptop and is using itsown speaker, try to connect an external speaker
    to check if it is the same or contact the manufacturer of the laptop so that they can perform additional troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

Let us know the outcome.

Jay Jap, Mar 8, 2016
  3. No sound when connected to external monitor

When I connect an hdmi cable from my Dell XPS 13 laptop to an external monitor, I can't get sound from my laptop speakers.

Bill Brockhouse, Mar 8, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

It is common to find that different jack plugs have slightly different sizes and tolerances, and some connect better than others, and also that the sockets on laptops are subject to wear, and will lose some connectivity with one or both channels. If you can find an adapter - with a short length of cable for strain relief, and preferably an angled male plug connector - that fits well to both to the laptop and headphones, but also to external speakers, that may be a solution.

Some audio control panels allow for output to other sockets, if the audio chip is capable - for instance not only the headphone jack but also the microphone jack, which may be less worn, and may be a better connection for your speaker jacks - at the loss of an external microphone connection. This may not be an option on some laptops.

Otherwise, the socket on the laptop may need to be replaced or adjusted so that the contacts connect all of your plugs equally well - a delicate job best performed by a qualified repair technician. Laptop motherboards are quite flimsy, and movement of the jack through strain on the headphone cable etc., can cause board cracking and solder joint or copper trace failures.

Fafhrd, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop - Similar Threads - Can't external speakers

2. left speaker of my windows pc is not working properly. Is that an external speaker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left speaker of my windows pc is not working properly. Is that an external speaker?: left speaker of my windows pc is not working.Is that an external speaker?. Dell speaker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-speaker-of-my-windows-pc-is-not-working/825896f8-9888-4ea0-8adc-dc5ac0397747
  3. left speaker of my windows pc is not working properly. Is that an external speaker?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left speaker of my windows pc is not working properly. Is that an external speaker?: left speaker of my windows pc is not working.Is that an external speaker?. Dell speaker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-speaker-of-my-windows-pc-is-not-working/825896f8-9888-4ea0-8adc-dc5ac0397747
  4. left speaker of my windows pc is not working properly. Is that an external speaker?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Speakers Not Functioning Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Speakers Not Functioning Properly: External, standalone not computer speakers do nothing but make a monotonous, clicking sound, over and over, but a female voice says "Music," when speakers are connected. Doesn't the fact that I hear SOME sound mean that they're NOT blown? I've tried every troubleshooting...
  6. External Speakers Not Functioning Properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Speakers Not Functioning Properly: External, standalone not computer speakers do nothing but make a monotonous, clicking sound, over and over, but a female voice says "Music," when speakers are connected. Doesn't the fact that I hear SOME sound mean that they're NOT blown? I've tried every troubleshooting...
  7. External Speakers Not Functioning Properly

8. speakers not working properly

speakers not working properly: Only 1 of my speakers works at a time. either the left or right speaker works, just not both at the same time. Any ideas as to what I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speakers-not-working-properly/ec52eae5-b3ed-468f-80a8-005ea71f0d21
  9. External laptop speakers no longer working.

External laptop speakers no longer working.: I am unable to get my external Logitech notebook speakers to work from my laptop. They show up in my Devices and Printers in the Control Panel but I can't make them the default. They worked fine and now they don't. They are plugged in directly to the laptop. I have restarted...
  10. External speakers are not detected properly

External speakers are not detected properly: Hello. I have an Asus UX31LA laptop, on which I just did a fresh install of windows 10. I have all the latest drivers from Asus. The problem is that the external usb speakers are not detected properly. The sound is coming out just fine and the Smart Audio software detects...