Windows 10: Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue

Discus and support Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have an issue on both my Windows 10 laptop and desktop PC. Both are DELL and new. Suddenly, my PC wouldn't connect to the internet using ANY... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by techdaring, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue

Hello,
    I have an issue on both my Windows 10 laptop and desktop PC. Both are DELL and new. Suddenly, my PC wouldn't connect to the internet using ANY wifi network. For this reason, I eliminated my WiFi modem - because the same issue happened when using my phone tethering. Using the Ethernet cable worked. Then a few weeks later my laptop has the same issue, but with this I can't plug in an ethernet port, because it dosen't have one.
    Both computers had IP Vanish VPN (probably nothing to do with it but thought I'd mention). I believe these issues happened after updates.

I've tried disabling firewall, antivirus, uninstalling Vanish VPN, using cmd from things I've seen recommended, updated network adapter on desktop.

Not sure what next to do, it's really annoying. Please advise.

:)

techdaring, Feb 22, 2016
  2. UK_Aspie Win User

One computer won't talk to the others

Three Windows computers on the LAN. Internet upgrade requiring new router. All three have Internet access, two can talk to each other but the third can't see the two and they can't see it. Any ideas?

UK_Aspie, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Quasi48 Win User
    No Internet access

Over the past few days our two laptops running windows 10 are both having problems with access to the internet, frequently access is impossible with message "Hmm, we can't reach this page", on running the network diagnostics tool we get the message "One
    or more network protocols are missing on this computer" we upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 as soon as it was available and up to this past week have not had any problems and in fact we have no problem accessing the internet from our two android tablets and
    smart phones. For information we have Version 1511 ( OS Build 10586.36)

Quasi48, Feb 22, 2016
  4. tkhula Win User

Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue

Although my issue has been occuring for much longer... have you tried using anything other than windows browsers ? I have a similar issue although windows says I'm not connected.. everything actually works other than core Windows things like EDGE, or SEARCH or the Windows Store. Just wondering. My post is Windows 10 thinks it is not on the network when it is.

tkhula, Feb 22, 2016
  5. Hi tkhula,
    Actually, I use Chrome and Firefox, but nothing works. "This webpage is not available, DNS_PROBE_FINISIHED_BAD_CONFIG". Funnily, earlier, I got it to work for 2 seconds. So strange. I read this type of issue effects many, but none of those solutions have worked for me.

techdaring, Feb 22, 2016
  6. smurfus Win User
    I am new here and this isn't a very "techie" solution but...

I have had a few wireless access points/routers give me similar problems in the past with random connection issues and what not. One of three things fixed them every time.

1) Interference. Take note of what is around both your router/access point and your connected device. Anything with a high frequency, high wattage, or strong magnetic fields? One problem was fixed when I found a client had installed a new microwave... and put the router right on top of it. Sure played hell with the network while heating up lunch. Another time it was a large amplifier and speakers for a PA system too close to the equipment.

2) Firmware Update. Especially if your equipment is provided by your ISP. Many of these units are of poor design or manufacture and are prone to these symptoms. This has fixed many problems for me, not just in routers, but in electronics in general. You would be surprised at the number of gadgets out there that have systems that can be updated for improved performance.

3) Replacement. Get a QUALITY unit to do the job you are asking it to do. Age old lesson I have learned here is... "You get what you pay for." Functional and Dependable are not often under the same price tags and your ISP not always interested in the latter.

EDIT: Wanted to mention age. How long has it been running 24/7? Usage and heat over time will cause components to break down internally. Your network is a collection of systems and devices working in conjunction. Much like a vehicle if a router has developed a fault in one component it can/will effect the function of the entire assembly.

Hope this is somewhat helpful even though it has nothing to do with Windows 10 or any OS.

smurfus, Feb 22, 2016
  7. Thanks for reply. I've just updated firmware of my router (it's a top of the range Netgear). But, because it won't work with my phone tethering, I've eliminated the idea that the router could be at fault.

techdaring, Feb 22, 2016
  8. tkhula Win User

Since things are indicating a potential dns issue --- have you tried changing the dns servers from the automagic setting to a fixed setting I've found that using these service to resolve dns or at least narrow things down has been very useful. My ISP here in the states has hired a IT director who is a utter idiot. Our DNS servers were erratic for several weeks I suspect because he was trying to cut off access to certain sites. In any event ... here are a couple dns services that you can use to help troubleshoot.

Public DNS Google Developers
    Use OpenDNS
    and if you just want to make sure you are using the ones from your isp -- Tiscali DNS Servers - United Kingdom - What's My DNS?
    (I've got a tiscali acount over there myself sad for me but it is what it is. )

tkhula, Feb 23, 2016
  9. smurfus Win User
    Was thinking about your problem at work.

Have you tried to disable IPV6 across the network? If any of your network is incompatible with the protocol it can cause problems.

Disable IPHelper ? I had an issue with a Windows 7 machine that seemed to go away when this process was disabled on a tip from a forum post like this one.

We talked firmware before but the machine's motherboard might need updated bios/firmware if your wireless card is integrated into it and it is at all an older product. If it is PCI add in card it will have it's own firmware that could be out of date as well.

DNS Services. Not all DNS servers are created the same. There are are other options to resolve DNS within your network such as using Google's and there are several opensource DNS projects out there as well. This is a bit outside my comfort zone of networking but I am sure there are threads and posters here with much more info on this subject.

One machine I could not get the connection problem resolved ended up being something to do with NAT tables and was resolved by the ISP technical support. I am glad I passed that one off as I have little knowledge of that area of networking as well. At least other than a basic surface understanding of its function. Something to look at if all else fails.

All of these suggestions are trying to think outside the normal stuff as it doesn't seem to be a normal problem and you have eliminated those basic causes as valid.

Good luck mate.

EDIT: Post before this already hit on DNS while I was typing and with good information! Pretend I didn't even mention it.

smurfus, Feb 23, 2016
  10. tkhula Win User
    Yeah .. my issue with My Windows 10 box is just silly.. It's hardwired because the opposing ISP here is evil and selected the location of Right Outside My House --- to place their Wide Area Network.. it just murders my poor little router's wireless signal. However, I've actually played swap with a couple of nics ( thinking the same thing.. perhaps it was firmware)... but nope.. no love. In the meantime, other than no updates, no windows store and no windows search.. everything is good.

and yeah.. NAT tables are indeed evil... and of course.. I saw nothing...

tkhula, Feb 23, 2016
  11. Result! I seem to have, at least temporarily, resolved the issue on my laptop. I was messing about with settings, and noticed the IPV4 or IPV6, not sure which, has an assigned IP. So I removed it and set to auto. This, straight away, resolved the issue. Now taking a look at desktop PC. I'm not sure how it happened, must have been a Windows 10 update that somehow changed it! Hope this will help others too.

techdaring, Feb 23, 2016
  12. OK, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the modem to PC, and for some reason, the desktop now works fine too? I didn't change anything with the desktop at all. So, was the laptop setting effecting the PC, as well? Strange. Anyway, all sorted for now! Thanks for your advice everyone. I hope this can help someone else.

techdaring, Feb 23, 2016
  13. Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue

Techdaring when I read this and as a fellow IPVanish user it sounded like you had IPVanish connected and didn't disconnect properly I have done this on numerous occasions. Things like restarting my PC while IPVanish is running etc. So what happens in your IPv4 settings when you run IPVanish is that it switches from Automatic to the settings IPVanish needs to run. So if you don't actually disconnect through IP Vanish itself the settings get stuck. So as you found out you just go in and set it to Automatic and you're golden again.

KYJellyFish, Feb 23, 2016
  14. Ah, yes, now that makes perfect sense *Smile I think you're right. I had its software installed on both systems, too.

techdaring, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get Internet access on two computers - Windows 10 issue - Similar Threads - Can't Internet access

2. Can't access Internet or Bluetooth on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Internet or Bluetooth on Windows 10: I recently received a Dell desktop with Windows 10. Before this, I primarily used a Fujitsu laptop, also with Windows 10. I'm quite unfamiliar with desktop computers so I don't fully understand why the Bluetooth 'On/Off' toggle and 'Available Networks' are missing inside...
  3. Can't access Internet or Bluetooth on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Internet or Bluetooth on Windows 10: I recently received a Dell desktop with Windows 10. Before this, I primarily used a Fujitsu laptop, also with Windows 10. I'm quite unfamiliar with desktop computers so I don't fully understand why the Bluetooth 'On/Off' toggle and 'Available Networks' are missing inside...
  4. Issues with internet access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with internet access.: Hi, I’ve been facing an issue for around 2 weeks where my PC isn’t connecting to the internet. No wireless connections show up apart from hotspots even though the wireless networks work completely fine on other devices. Even our wired connection isn’t working. It says that my...
  5. Issues with internet access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with internet access.: Hi, I’ve been facing an issue for around 2 weeks where my PC isn’t connecting to the internet. No wireless connections show up apart from hotspots even though the wireless networks work completely fine on other devices. Even our wired connection isn’t working. It says that my...
  6. Issues with internet access.

7. I can't get internet access.

I can't get internet access.: I can't get internet access. My WiFi adapter is no longer recognized. In fact, the software for the adapter will not complete setup. It worked a month ago, but now doesn't. What can I do? Please keep in mind, I don't have internet access on that PC....
  8. Windows 10 Computer No Internet Access

Windows 10 Computer No Internet Access: My desktop computer has worked fine since I got it in June, until today. I turned it on and it absolutely refuses to connect to the internet. I have tried wi-fi, using the antenna adapter I’ve been using for months, and also ethernet, and neither worked. The ethernet should...
  9. Internet access issues

Internet access issues: My K5160 Vodafone dongle will not work with Windows 10, error message no internet access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/internet-access-issues/78b2af07-8b64-4a13-8afd-964d01398a14
  10. Can't get Internet access on my router

Can't get Internet access on my router: I have a desktop connected by wire to my Bell modem. I also have a laptop connected via wifi. I had a problem with updates not installing on the laptop so I did a restore to a previous save (about two weeks ago. When it completed, I can recognize my modem (Bell500) but when I...