Windows 10: Can't get into Personalization

Discus and support Can't get into Personalization in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have been trying to get into the personalize and display settings by right clicking on my desktop. This is the error I get. This file does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dspurg77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. dspurg77 Win User

Can't get into Personalization

So I have been trying to get into the personalize and display settings by right clicking on my desktop. This is the error I get.

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I am also not able to get into settings by click the Start and Settings link. Nothing happens.

Have no clue what to do

:)

dspurg77, Aug 4, 2015

2. Can't Personalize?

I just recently upgraded to Windows 10, and for some reason I can't personalize my lock screen, and my taskbar won't auto-hide! I have tried everything I found on here. The taskbar hides once or twice, then locks up again, over and over... The lock screen
    won't let me in PERIOD. I have done all but two suggestions from here, and that would be because those two suggestions, when I try I get a warning that the computer may become 'unstable' as it is interfering with the system programming. I am ready to quit
    Windows 10 and go back to 8... not that I cared too much for that version, but this is the worst. It keeps saying that 'some programs are controlled by your organization', which is irritating, as I didn't set one up. However, when looking into it, my computer
    says 'organization: workplace'. So, 3 things here:

1. How do I PERMANENTLY unlock the taskbar so it will PERMANENTLY and CONTINUOUSLY auto-hide?

2. How do I fix the settings to personalization, so I can change the screen that is there now?

3. How do I change the 'organization' so that it no longer controls what I can or can't do on my OWN COMPUTER?

thelma-n-louise, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Can't Personalize?

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue? No changes were made prior to this issue.

What is the make and model of your computer? Acer Aspire E5-521

1. Taskbar cannot be permanently hidden, but you can Auto Hide the Taskbar. Auto hiding would Hide the task bar, but when the mouse cursor is brought towards the bottom of the screen, it would reappear.

I suggest you to post your valuable suggestions in Windows feedback app. So that the developers will try to implement it in future Windows 10 Builds to enhance user experience.

I am aware that when you move the cursor toward the taskbar, the taskbar reappears... I also said that the taskbar will only hide once or twice, and
    then it locks back up, and won't hide (this has happened 3 times this week). I have had to save the instructions to my favorites just so I can access them when I need to unlock the taskbar, again. I have
    the auto-hide box checked, I don't uncheck it, yet the taskbar is locked in place.

2. What is the screen you have on the lock screen and what screenshot you want to add to your lock scree. You can send us the screenshot.

I'm not entirely sure that the screen that is up on the lock screen at the moment is of any importance, but it is a purple background, and in the circular window that should be my ID picture, there is a quote. I should not have to, for any reason,
    send a screen shot of something that I want to put onto MY computer to Microsoft, so that THEY can put it on there for me, when there is a perfectly good app (or at least, there used to be) on the computer that allowed ME to PERSONALIZE MY COMPUTER. We seem
    to be coming up against some confusion on that issue...

To tweak your lock screen to your liking, select the Start button, then select
    Settings > Personalization > Lock screen. Try changing the background to a favorite photo or slide show, or choose any combination of detailed and quick status notifications to show you upcoming calendar events,
    social network updates, and other app and system notifications.

I have done this, I also have right clicked>clicked on personalize>clicked on background> and voila! The background is what I made it, on the desktop, that is... after I get in through the lock screen... which, for some odd reason I CAN NOT change.
    I have also gone into control panel>personalization and I can change desktop background... but- and I have said this a few times- I CAN NOT change the lock screen.

3. Please check system activation status. Secondly, follow the steps below to collect Group Policy status:

When I say I recently upgraded to Windows 10, I don't mean in the last few hours... It means that, at some point within the last 3-4 months, I chose to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10- Now, since April when I upgraded, I have had quite a few
    issues, but I'm here to find out about these ones. I can assume correctly, can I not, that if Windows 10 was NOT activated, I would not have been able to use some of the features? Well, I can use the Windows 10 features... But, you know what features I can't
    seem to use? Personalization on the lock screen and auto-hide the taskbar.

Now, that we have tried to make me feel and look like an idiot, are the 'instructions' you posted below actually going to help me with anything at all? Or is it just another, albeit not so subtle, way of trying to indicate my intelligence is less
    than yours, because you misread and misunderstood what I was trying to say in the first place?

Open CMD, type: gpresult /h gpreport.html

After that, type gpreport.html and press enter to open the html file. If failed, you can access to the path below to collect the file:
    c:\Windows\system32

thelma-n-louise, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

One possible reason for not being able to access Personalization is if Windows 10 is not activated.

Go to Start, Settings, Update & security, Activation.

If Windows 10 is activated, it should say "Windows is activated".

If Windows 10 is not activated, it won't allow Personalization settings.

Antilope, Aug 4, 2015
  5. dspurg77 Win User
    Just did a reinstall and is now working fine, thanks for the reply.

dspurg77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get into Personalization - Similar Threads - Can't Personalization

2. I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the...: I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the same case for images it links itself directly to the drawing tool , what should I do ?...
  3. I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the...: I can't open a normal pdf file in my personal laptop , it links directly to google and the same case for images it links itself directly to the drawing tool , what should I do ?...
  4. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  5. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  6. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 11 - Personalize - dual monitor - monitor 2 in portrait - can't display images...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Personalize - dual monitor - monitor 2 in portrait - can't display images...: It chops the picture in half on the 2nd monitor that's in portrait orientation if the picture itself is landscape orientation. and vice versa, if the picture is portait, it cuts it in half on monitor 1.Only way to temp correct it is to go to setup and retell the PC that the...
  8. Windows 11 - Personalize - dual monitor - monitor 2 in portrait - can't display images...

Windows 11 - Personalize - dual monitor - monitor 2 in portrait - can't display images...: It chops the picture in half on the 2nd monitor that's in portrait orientation if the picture itself is landscape orientation. and vice versa, if the picture is portait, it cuts it in half on monitor 1.Only way to temp correct it is to go to setup and retell the PC that the...
  9. You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead....: I've been trying for weeks, even looking at forums at 3 AMM just to fix this stupid error. WHY THE HECK DO I NEED A WORK ACCOUNT TO SIGN IN MICRO SOFT!!!! COME ON WHY DO I NEED TO CREATE A NEW GMAIL ACCOUNT JUST TO FIX THIS, Please....And also... this is for Visual Studio...
  10. You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead....

You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead....: I've been trying for weeks, even looking at forums at 3 AMM just to fix this stupid error. WHY THE HECK DO I NEED A WORK ACCOUNT TO SIGN IN MICRO SOFT!!!! COME ON WHY DO I NEED TO CREATE A NEW GMAIL ACCOUNT JUST TO FIX THIS, Please....And also... this is for Visual Studio...