Windows 10: Cant get My documents folder to retore to default

Discus and support Cant get My documents folder to retore to default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentally changed the location of the my documents folder to what seems to be my desktop. I have followed all the instructions i could find on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jester409, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Jester409 Win User

Cant get My documents folder to retore to default

I accidentally changed the location of the my documents folder to what seems to be my desktop. I have followed all the instructions i could find on this forum and internet with no luck. It appears to have duplicated my desktop which is a massive pain for saving documents to the folder.

Cant get My documents folder to retore to default [​IMG]

Here are some screenshots of what im dealing with....

How do i get the my documents folder to go back to normal?

:)

Jester409, Sep 20, 2017
  2. whburling Win User

Changing the name of my default folders (W10) creates side effects

RATIONALE FOR CHANGING DEFAULT FOLDER NAMES:

I have multiple computers on my LAN all connected to one account in the cloud. In the cloud I end up with multiple "Documents" folders and Music folders etc. Which computer owns which "Documents" folder? Which Music folder? etc.

It makes sense to me that if I change the default folder names to include the computer name then I always know the origin of the default folders. Ie: Mist Documents informs me that the documents within are stored on the computer Mist.

The GUI interface grayed out the folder name preventing me from using the standard interface to change their names.

Windows 10 allowed me to change the default folder names if I used the command window. Which I did.

The content is, indeed, in the folder with the changed name. Thus the process appeared to work. I then rebooted.

THE PROBLEM

If i reboot, the operating system (W10) adds the original default folder names on new folders. My data is in the folder with the changed default folder name. Ie: Mist Documents does contain my documents. But now I have not only Mist Documents but also
    "Documents" which contains only the minimal default internal folders that all Document default folders contain. If I delete these empty (of my content) default folders, the o/s recreates them upon the next rebooting.

OBJECTIVE

To instruct the operating system to NOT add a "Documents" folder or any other default folder to the User's first level directory (c:\users\username\)

and to ensure that the OS treats my renamed default folders in the same way as the OS treated my original default folders.

whburling, Sep 20, 2017
  3. NReichert Win User
    Unable to change Documents folder to Default Location

Hello all,

Recently I have been having trouble with changing my documents folder from my OneDrive folder to my default on my C: Drive (C:\Users\%User%\Documents). Being on my Admin Account, I have tried to change it in settings (under Storage),
    only to find the drop-down menu goes blank after clicking and changing it to C: or D: and reverts after setting it a second time and going out of the "Storage" section.

I have also tried changing the location of "Documents" through File Explorer, only to find if I clock revert, it will come back with an "Access is
    Denied" error.
    Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Specs:

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name ------------------

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model H97M-D3H

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6, 4/21/2015

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16392"

User Name ---------------------\----------

Time Zone Central Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.87 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.15 GB

Total Virtual Memory 11.5 GB

Available Virtual Memory 6.98 GB

Page File Space 3.63 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Thanks in advance!

NReichert, Sep 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Perhaps this may help.
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

I would suggest you back up the actual files and folders first.

Another approach would be to use a restore point, if system restore is on and appropriate restore points are available.
    (Note- the tutorial section includes a tutorial about scheduling restore point creation)

Note: to give yourself a second chance in the future, please consider using disk imaging routinely- we constantly and strongly urge people to use this- so many advantages. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium+ external storage for disk image sets.

You can restore Windows or any imaged disk or partition to a previous working version - even to a new disk if yours is unusable.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  5. Jester409 Win User
    Cheers mate - worked perfectly

Jester409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant get My documents folder to retore to default - Similar Threads - Cant documents folder

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...: I set up OneDrive because i thought it would be useful, discovered that it only has 5gb of Free Space, all of my folders and files in documents and pictures have a small icon beside them and the thumbnails arent loading, its annoying and i dont like it so i unlink OneDrive...
  5. Changing folder type default to Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing folder type default to Documents: I work with a lot of media files music / video and jpgs and frequently when I set a folder with one of this I get a bunch of utterly useless column headings which relate to album or music tracks, whereas without exception what I actually need is documents folder view each and...
  6. Changing the Default documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....
  7. i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder: Hi there hope i can recieve some assistance. i just took out the hard disk drive from an older laptop which had windows 7 on it, i put this into a exterior shell and have converted it to an external hard drive. i've managed to get access to the data but unfortunately there...
  8. default "Documents" folder

default "Documents" folder: Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting? What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily clicking through the setup checkboxes, asking if you want this there and that here, and something else over in this place. At...
  9. Issues with default "Documents" Folder

Issues with default "Documents" Folder: Hello, I'm at my wits end and am really hoping someone here can help! Windows appears to think my Pictures folder is my Documents folder. In the "This PC" shell, "Documents" no longer appears. Rather, I am seeing "Pictures" twice (picture below). Both instances of...
  10. Documents folder opens by default

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder opens by default: When I try to open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens the "Documents" Folder by default. I have to choose "Open" or "Open in New Window" to get it right. If I select "Open Windows Explorer" or double click on the folder, my Documents folder opens. I have reset every...