Windows 10: Can't get onedrive to sync properly, & can only see it as a folder

Discus and support Can't get onedrive to sync properly, & can only see it as a folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi! I upgraded my samsung laptop to w10 & recently bought a linx w10 tablet. I also have an Android 5.1 smartphone. I set up onedrive on all 3. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by f1john, Feb 19, 2016.

1. f1john Win User

Can't get onedrive to sync properly, & can only see it as a folder

Hi!
    I upgraded my samsung laptop to w10 & recently bought a linx w10 tablet. I also have an Android 5.1 smartphone. I set up onedrive on all 3.

The tablet & smartphone function properly. They see the docs i loaded from the laptop, tablet & phone. The pc only sees the files that I uploaded from the pc.

I tried following tutorials about "fetch files", but I don't have the onedrive icon in my pc task bar. I can't find it as an app on my computer, only as a folder in file explorer. therefore I can't get into any of the settings.

What am I doing / have i done wrong & what do I need to do to sort this out please?

Any help / advice gratefully received, especially if it's formulated for absolute beginners.

Oh! I forgot to mention : onenote functions without issues on all 3 machines & works on the same microsoft account.

Thanks in advance.

John.

:)

f1john, Feb 19, 2016
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Change location name to get rid of One Drive that was recently added ...hate this program

Hi,

It seems that your OneDrive is still synced on your device that's why you can't open the files. Since you have only disabled OneDrive, enable it again and copy the files to an external hard drive. After doing so, properly uninstall OneDrive by following
    the steps on this article and click the drop-down arrow on the
    Uninstall OneDrive section.

Also, if your OneDrive online is synced on your device, you can check if the files are still intact by logging on to your OneDrive account online.

After doing the steps provided, see if you can still see the OneDrive folder on your location properties.

If anything comes up, don't hesitate to get back to us anytime.

Anne Ros, Feb 19, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Windows 10 - Gray x's on some desktop icons

From what I can find it is most probably OneDrive which is doing this.

The other possibility is problems with the default app setting which opens the file.

If the x is only one files on the desktop then right click & choose refresh.

If in various folders all through your pc then check if OneDrive is set to sync files in those folders & disable sync to see if the xs disappear.

Time Lady, Feb 19, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums!

There should be a small cloud icon in the Taskbar system tray which is OneDrive. If it is not visible you can try the following:

Go to Settings -> System and Notifications and Actions and click Select which icons appear on the Taskbar:

Can't get onedrive to sync properly, &  can only see it as a folder [​IMG]

Then scroll down to turn on the OneDrive icon so that it is always visible.

Can't get onedrive to sync properly, &  can only see it as a folder [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 19, 2016
  5. f1john Win User
    Sorted! Thanks mate! You are a star & a gentleman.

f1john, Feb 19, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    *Smile You're welcome!

Please mark the thread as fixed.

philc43, Feb 19, 2016
  7. f1john Win User
    Hi Phil! How do I mark the thread as fixed? (As you see, i'm just not forum-savvy). Thanks in advance. John.

f1john, Feb 20, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Hello f1john,

At the top of the page you will find a Mark as Solved button which only you as the Thread Starter will see. Therefore the person who asked the question gets to decide if it is answered *Smile

philc43, Feb 20, 2016
  9. f1john Win User
    Hi again Phil.

I don't know how it happened, but when i look at this thread now, I only see "+Reply to Thread" & "Mark Unsolved" buttons, so somehow, it must now be classed as solved. Hope that's OK & keeps the system clear.
    Thanks again.

f1john, Feb 21, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    That's OK, maybe one of the administrators did it for you!

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get onedrive to sync properly, & can only see it as a folder - Similar Threads - Can't onedrive sync

2. How can I get onedrive to sync ONLY one note

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get onedrive to sync ONLY one note: Onedrive is trying to back up everything on my laptop which is filling up all the cloud storage. I only want to use onedrive to sync onenote. I have been looking for ways to do this, but there are no clear answers.How can I unsync my desktop, documents etc. and only sync...
  3. How can I get onedrive to sync ONLY one note

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get onedrive to sync ONLY one note: Onedrive is trying to back up everything on my laptop which is filling up all the cloud storage. I only want to use onedrive to sync onenote. I have been looking for ways to do this, but there are no clear answers.How can I unsync my desktop, documents etc. and only sync...
  4. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  5. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  6. Why can't some Onedrive folders not sync?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't some Onedrive folders not sync?: I have marked a folder as "always keep on this device". All of the various subfolders have a status that says they are synced. There are 209 of them. However, there are THREE that don't change their status icon. If I open up that subfolder, all of the files there say they...
  7. OneDrive not properly syncing on laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive not properly syncing on laptop: Yeah, I changed my Microsoft online password, and now OneDrive won't sync. When I try to sign in, it tells me that account is already syncing, but the both iconsdefender and OneDrive say otherwise. What do I do now?...
  8. Can't see all OneDrive Folders and files in Windows Explorer but can in OneDrive online

Can't see all OneDrive Folders and files in Windows Explorer but can in OneDrive online: After selecting all Files and Folders in OneDrive to be available on my pc -> Settings -> Account -> Folders -> select ALL they still do not show up in my explorer window, but do show up when I display OneDrive online. How do I get them to show up again in my explorer window?...
  9. Only Sync a Single folder to OneDrive

Only Sync a Single folder to OneDrive: I'm just setting up a new computer after my old one broke, and I'm trying to get OneDrive setup the way I had it on my old computer. I have a single folder inside my Documents folder that I want to have synced in OneDrive, such that if I needed to I could work on the files...
  10. Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive: How do I add a folder to my desktop without having OneDrive attempt to sync it? I wanted to move a large file and for ease of access wanted to place it on the desktop. I don't want OneDrive to upload all 6GB of it. What I tried: I created a "Local" folder on Desktop. I...