Windows 10: Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work

Discus and support Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've read that if I install an older driver it should work. But I seem unable to even get an older driver to install. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 56Kruiser, Dec 9, 2015.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work

I've read that if I install an older driver it should work. But I seem unable to even get an older driver to install.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

Any suggestions?

:)

56Kruiser, Dec 9, 2015
  2. MELERIX Win User

Prolific USB to serial driver PL2303 won't work with Windows 10

maybe you are using a device with an older PL2303 chip, for example PL2303HX/HXA, and that is why the new driver from Prolific website does not work, in that case you have to use the older driver version, for example this ones:

Cables & Drivers - Prolific & FTDI these drivers works fine with older PL2303HX/HXA chip and in Window 7/8/8.1/10.

MELERIX, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Prolific USB to serial driver PL2303 won't work with Windows 10

Thanks Deepak,

In fact I found a troubleshooting option in 'view devices' which reinstalled the driver and assigned it a different COMM PORT number, so all is fine now.

Kind regards

N (Retired Chemist)

retiredchemist(2), Dec 9, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

I have also had this problem. Make sure the older driver is installed on your computer by running the installation file you downloaded. Then manually select it as the driver when you update the device in Device Manager. Make sure you go through the "manually install" route and "let me pick the driver" option when you do it. Select the older driver and it should install that one.

philc43, Dec 13, 2015
  5. fireberd Win User
    I have one of those USB/RS232C adapters. The site says the driver will not work on Win 8/8.1 (and Win 10). I have a dual boot with Win 7 and Win 10 only because I need the RS232C adapter to transfer embroidery patterns to my wife's Singer Embroidery machine.

I've tried the adapter/drivers on Win 8 and Win 8.1 even though they say it won't work, and it didn't work either installing in the native Win 8/8.1 mode or in a compatibility mode for Win 7 (and even Win XP).

fireberd, Dec 13, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    I can confirm that the older drivers do work. I am using a driver version 3.3.2.105 (you do not need to install in compatibility mode).

The reason is that Prolific USB/Serial chip 'clones' are often used in generic USB programming cables and the newer Windows drivers actual detect this and refuse to work. The older drivers do not do this and so they will continue to work.

The downside is that W10 may automatically update them in future and you will then need to manually install the older driver again. So far though, this has not happened to me.

philc43, Dec 13, 2015
  7. fireberd Win User
    In my case, the driver installed, but it wouldn't connect with the Singer Embroidery machine. I tried it on two different desktops with different motherboards.

So, check that it actually is working and not just that Windows shows it "installed".

fireberd, Dec 13, 2015
  8. Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work

Honestly, the solution is to buy a device with an FTDI chipset, from a reputable source. Prolific drivers cause more BSOD incidents than any other I have encountered.

nigelmercier, Dec 14, 2015
  9. fireberd Win User
    I tried a USB/RS232C device from another company that was supposed to be compatible and superior to the Prolific. It installed but would not communicate with the Singer XL6000 embroidery machine. The only one that works with this model Singer is the Prolific.

I'm an "old line" modem and network tech and dealt with RS232 interfaces and controls for many years. If I had a breakout box or a "sniffer" I probably would find there is a control signal that is missing or not the correct voltage.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work - Similar Threads - Can't Prolific USB

2. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb serial converter not working: rs232 serial to usb a prolific chipset cadapter not working after update i have tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-converter-not-working/4a2cad08-13e9-48e1-80dd-55bda0e01a61
  3. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb serial converter not working: rs232 serial to usb a prolific chipset cadapter not working after update i have tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-converter-not-working/4a2cad08-13e9-48e1-80dd-55bda0e01a61
  4. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....

I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....: I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing. I tried using Latest Driver and old version as well but nothing works....
  6. I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....: I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing. I tried using Latest Driver and old version as well but nothing works....
  7. Can't get USB to serial converter to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get USB to serial converter to work: Have a USB to serial converter. Windows says it won't start and to reload the driver. Do that and it says the correct driver is already installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-usb-to-serial-converter-to-work/1d2efa87-d2ed-4888-9c9d-6a3804b0e97e
  8. Can't get USB to serial converter to work

Can't get USB to serial converter to work: Have a USB to serial converter. Windows says it won't start and to reload the driver. Do that and it says the correct driver is already installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-usb-to-serial-converter-to-work/1d2efa87-d2ed-4888-9c9d-6a3804b0e97e
  9. Prolific USB to Serial Convertor issue since last update

Prolific USB to Serial Convertor issue since last update: Since the last Windows 10 update, my Prolific USB to serial converter began dropping out requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in about every 3 to 6 hours. As of yesterday, it stopped working entirely. Today I may have found the cure, but not yet sure. I went to Device...
  10. Prolific USB-Serial

Prolific USB-Serial: I've previously had this working on my system but, for whatever reason, it's no longer being recognised by my mapping software when I attempt to transfer routes to my GPS. As you can see the driver is installed but with an exclamation mark to indicate a problem....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant get prolific to work

2. win 10 prolific converter prints a few lines and stops

3. cant install profilic usb serial

4. prolific usb to serial windows 10 bluescreen