Windows 10: Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.

Discus and support Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; That didn't fix the Edge shortcut on the taskbar. Same as it was so I'm deleting all the quick launch shortcuts and re-pinning what I want there. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Galane, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.

That didn't fix the Edge shortcut on the taskbar. Same as it was so I'm deleting all the quick launch shortcuts and re-pinning what I want there.

Galane, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Dropbox Win User

Hmm, I think that is the only solution for it, but your browser is working fine again?

Dropbox, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Tonyb Win User
    Wow this sounded very nasty thank god i never use edge google chrome is my friend *Smile

Tonyb, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

You can try using the Edge Favorites editor Manage Edge Favorites

Mystere, Aug 16, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I always say with these things --if you have a decent backup image - just restore it.
    Provided you keep Windows + apps on their own partition a backup shouldn't take more than around 10 - 15 mins on modern hardware if that -- and a restore about the same time.

On my laptop with 250GB Samsung SSD backed up to external SSD via USB 3 port --6 mins !! Use something like free macrium.

I often wonder if someone would count up the nr of hours spent on running Virus and Malware removal software on an infected computer as opposed to regular backups and restores I know who would win HANDS DOWN.

I've nothing against this type of software (note I'm not complaining about AV software -- although in this case it obviously didn't do its job properly) - it's just the philosophy --it's like trying deliberately to repair a defective plane while it's in the air !!!.

I've flown enough planes in my time to know as a Pilot you ensure any defects are remedied while it's on the ground and certainly not using a defective piece of kit (the Windows OS in this case with the malware in it).

If and when it's fixed let that be a lesson AND START TAKING REGULAR CLEAN BACKUPS - software is FREE and quick so no excuse.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge. - Similar Threads - Can't rid browser

2. If browser gets hijacked in Sandbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If browser gets hijacked in Sandbox: I've seen a number of posts asking "Is Windows Sandbox really safe for testing malware?" with responses generally ranging from "Yep!" to "Yes, but..." with a recommendation like disabling the network to be absolutely 100% safe from the highly unlikely but theoretically...
  3. If browser gets hijacked in Sandbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If browser gets hijacked in Sandbox: I've seen a number of posts asking "Is Windows Sandbox really safe for testing malware?" with responses generally ranging from "Yep!" to "Yes, but..." with a recommendation like disabling the network to be absolutely 100% safe from the highly unlikely but theoretically...
  4. If browser gets hijacked in Sandbox

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Browser Hijackers

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Hijackers: I have searched the internet for three days now using my cellphone because the three browsers on my desktop are hijacked by taboola orrecp.mkt 81 or a few others. I have used, as suggested, "Hi-Jack This"---"Malwarebytes"---an three others. These bad apps cannot be found...
  6. Browser hijack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser hijack: Hi whenever I open a page from within an app my default browser which is almost advert free is bypassed and microsofts advert fest Edge is used instead. Edge is pretty much unusable to me as I despise being forced to view adverts also I dislike the search engine which I have...
  7. Browser hijacker

Browser hijacker: How do I know if I've got a browser hijacker? And why do I keep getting calls saying my computer is in danger? Supposingly from microsoft agent....
  8. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  9. java update hijacked edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    java update hijacked edge browser: A older java update has hijacked my edge browser and I cant get rid of the page asking to update. 20004
  10. Edge Browser hijack scam

Edge Browser hijack scam: Last night I got the scam where the Browser (Edge) is locked and a message pops up saying to call a number. There is a computerised voice telling me I have a problem. I can open Explorer ok and am using it to type this. I ran AV (Defender & MBAM) but nothing came up. I...