Windows 10: Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

Discus and support Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Currently, Windows Defender flags the EaseUS Todo Backup Free software installer executable as a Potentially Unwanted Software if you have enabled... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mluck94, Aug 20, 2018.

1. mluck94 Win User

Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

Currently, Windows Defender flags the EaseUS Todo Backup Free software installer executable as a Potentially Unwanted Software if you have enabled PUA Protection through PowerShell. It is a popular and widely used backup tool so I would like to get to the bottom of if it is a legitimate detection or a false positive. Screenshot of the detection: https://i.gyazo.com/8097338f12fcab6db1ba33c3e96d3e17.png

I sent the file in for analysis and this was my first attempt here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/submission/301d75ab-ad73-46af-812c-5c712b0965d0

The response was they were unable to detect it and wanted me to reply with more info...Seeing no option on the page to reply I simply went ahead to create a new submission with more details.

In the second submission I provided screenshots as well as an explanation of it being detected as a PUA but was completely brushed off: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/submission/017acc37-248f-4373-8703-df8eb09b9171

As you can see in this second submission, whoever on the Windows Defender team that looked at this submission cannot read and thought I was submitting an inquiry for a new detection - it clearly says "Incorrect detection" in my submission. This is beginning to turn into a waste of my time and patience, I am asking if someone competent can help look into this?

Thank you,

Mike

:)

mluck94, Aug 20, 2018
  2. tnhotmail Win User

windows defender keeps saying it finds "potentially harmful software" but nothing listed.

Running latest windows 10.

Defender keeps notifying "potentially harmful software..." but nothing is listed.

Also - when I run a quick scan, defenders says "app detected a potential threat" but nothing is listed in History or in "all detected items".

I don't care about the threat but I do want defender to stop notifying me. I'd like to "allow" whatever it is defender is finding but nothing is ever listed. I would like to fix the problem but I'd be satisfied if I just completely removed defender from
    my system to stop the notifications.

What are my options?

tnhotmail, Aug 20, 2018
  3. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 20, 2018
  4. Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

potential threat detected

Windows Defender detected Potential Threat : HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS

Tried to remove it. Message said an error occurred: Error Code was Ox800700df

Now what do I do?

BarbaraStotler, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

1. Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection - Similar Threads - Can't Defender team

2. Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App: I have Deleted the files. from download folder and the temp folder but still the status is showing active. and in actions there is no option to delete it....
  3. Windows Defender detects potential threats bit won't show them in the History

Windows Defender detects potential threats bit won't show them in the History: when running a scan it comes up saying there are potential threats but when I check the history after the scan nothing shows in the quarantined or removed folders yet all my updates and everything a showing as up to date?? [Original Title: windows defender]...
  4. Potential Windows update database error detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Potential Windows update database error detected: Hi, hello Microsoft community. I have some problems in upgrading my pc. I have downloaded update last week and it goes to 85% and says restroing your previous version of windows 10 and this is not one time already one time. So, Two times. You are saying me to update but I...
  5. Can't get rid of potentially unwanted app - NoxPlayer

Can't get rid of potentially unwanted app - NoxPlayer: Hello, I hope someone could help me. As you can see from this image below, I'm trying to select an action towards this potentially unwanted app, NoxPlayer. However, whatever action I choose, it doesn't go away. Actually, I have uninstalled the app long time ago July 2020,...
  6. Windows Defender Antivirus detected Laroux Virus but I can't get rid of it with Windows...

Windows Defender Antivirus detected Laroux Virus but I can't get rid of it with Windows...: I was copying some files from old discs onto my laptop but seemingly one contained the Laroux virus. Windows Security describes the threat as Severe and offers 4 options Clean threat, Quarantine, Remove, Allow on Device. I haven't pressed 'Allow on Device' but I have tried...
  7. CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 News
    CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender: Microsoft Defender Antivirus flags certain CCleaner installers as potentially unwanted software according to a new database entry on the company's malware encyclopedia site. CCleaner is a popular tool for Windows to remove temporary files to free up disk space. It comes with...
  8. Potentially Unwanted Application PUA detected

Potentially Unwanted Application PUA detected: Hi, So I have tried to install an add-on for FSX:SE game from a website. The web uses an installer for the add-on called "InstallMate". When I finished downloaded it and unzipped it, just after double click the .exe file, Windows Defender popped up and told me that a...
  9. Can't get rid of Potential Unwanted Apps

Can't get rid of Potential Unwanted Apps: Hi, My windows defender display 3 'Potentially Unwanted Apps' but while selecting remove option it won't do anything. I looked inside the directory it says items are but there wasn't any with that name. Kindly, let me know how to fix. PFA the SS. [ATTACH] Thanks....
  10. Demons Lite potential threat (Windows Defender)?

Demons Lite potential threat (Windows Defender)?: Hello, I just checked my PC for viruses and was told that the App Daemons Lite was a potential threat, so I installed it. Now I still get this message. This is what it looks like: Does anyone know what to do about it and should I be worried? By the way, the app was added...