Windows 10: Can't get to desktop today

Discus and support Can't get to desktop today in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My computer does not make it to the desktop this morning, is anyone else having this problem? I turned it on from the off state, and once on my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by fotyc, Mar 17, 2017.

1. fotyc Win User

Can't get to desktop today

My computer does not make it to the desktop this morning, is anyone else having this problem? I turned it on from the off state, and once on my desktop no application would start, it gave an error starting with 0x and ending in 0000005. I restarted and it said it was getting Windows ready so I went away, came back and entered my password and went away again, and when I came back it was a black screen and an hour later it still is. On and off disk activity but not very active any more. I do run Avast anti virus. I am about to hard down it with the power button... Thanks!

:)

fotyc, Mar 17, 2017

2. Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Pro

I did the Windows 10 upgrade today and when I power up, my old desktop comes up, then disappears leaving only the cursor on a blank screen. Can't get the desktop back. Does anybody know what's up?

FrankGreen_6724, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Unable to login laptop after upgrading to windows 10

I installed it on my desktop yesterday and was able to log in originally but when i tried today can't even get the log in screen . Acts like this new upgrade was designed for touch screen computers only.

smokejumper6, Mar 17, 2017
  4. fotyc Win User

I used the power button to turn it off, it took my password and said Welcome for a minute, then again the black screen that never resolves into my desktop.

fotyc, Mar 17, 2017
  5. fotyc Win User
    I booted from recovery media but no applications will open so I cannot do a system restore or reset or use Macrium to repair Windows. I am getting desperate, what does anyone suggest?

fotyc, Mar 17, 2017
  6. fotyc Win User
    I can't uninstall all the updates that installed yesterday because settings won't even open...

fotyc, Mar 17, 2017
  7. fotyc Win User
    This may be solved at least for me. I did an image restore using Macrium booting from the rescue disk and everything seemed fine till I updated Avast. So, even before any of the Windows updates came down, I was broken. So I uninstalled Avast and restored some files from backups and I seem to be up and running. Maybe this will help someone else if I mark this solved. We'll see what happens when those updates come down again.

fotyc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get to desktop today - Similar Threads - Can't desktop today

2. Today's bing desktop image information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Today's bing desktop image information: To find the details of today's bing desktop image, simply go to Bing.com. There is no arrow up in the icon tray. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/todays-bing-desktop-image-information/a6b5a7b0-44e9-4451-a540-39a74b536b0b
  3. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get to desktop: Have an hp laptop. I cannot get passed "other user" screen to get to my user name and sign on, it diesnt show any place to switch user or change password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-to-desktop/fd12692b-1c32-4ff7-9295-36bf799a4914
  4. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get to desktop: Have an hp laptop. I cannot get passed "other user" screen to get to my user name and sign on, it diesnt show any place to switch user or change password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-to-desktop/fd12692b-1c32-4ff7-9295-36bf799a4914
  5. Can't get back to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get back to desktop: Hi, I can't seem to get back to my desktop, it's showing the start button screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-back-to-desktop/3d9beb1c-fe9a-492f-97e9-2782d275e0ec
  6. Can't get back into computer after todays update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get back into computer after todays update: HP Envy running Windows10 After updating Your PIN is no longer available due to a change on the security settings on this device. You can set up your pin again by going to ... Facial recognition no longer seems available and my password is not working. All my college...
  7. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get to desktop: This is really weird I've tried this for an hour maybe? And now it's stuck in the Recovery screen it says: "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors. File:...
  8. Desktop picture not showing today

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop picture not showing today: Somehow during my tweaking of win10 to match my preferred setup (so it's just like all the previous windows versions in other words), I added the uber-admin account to the login screen. No clue how it got there, but it was, and it didn't need to be - I'm the only user of this...
  9. No Signal--Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No Signal--Can't get to desktop: Full Story: I have an older computer on which I installed Windows 10 and was using a 43" TV as a monitor. Worked fine. We moved and computer sat for three months. I fired it up with a Gateway 23" monitor. The monitor did not come alive and after twenty minutes of the HDD...
  10. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get to desktop: Just got an up date version 1607 KB4023057 and now I can't get to my desktop on tablet. EDIT: It changed to tablet mode setting and I didn't realize it required a reboot for desktop mode, but now everything is OK 102866