Windows 10: Can't get Win10 to open even with new password.

Discus and support Can't get Win10 to open even with new password. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a replacement P70 from Lenovo and put my SSD drive from my original machine in it thinking I could just boot it up and run the system with all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fubar007, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Fubar007 Win User

Can't get Win10 to open even with new password.

I got a replacement P70 from Lenovo and put my SSD drive from my original machine in it thinking I could just boot it up and run the system with all accouterments the old one had had. No dice. It would not boot because I had gotten used to using a PIN number as a short-cut for password, and I forgot the password. The new system didn't know anything about PIN number but wanted the password which I no longer had. Then various tech support places told me to get a new Microsoft password and that would work; so I went through the hoops and got a new Microsoft password which on testing worked on a number of things but would not turn on my Win 10 at bootup. Since then after many, many frustrating tries I may have changed my Micorsoft password five or ten times. To no avail. All my files are backed up; so I am ready to reinstall a clean Win 10 on the new machine and then recover my files. I have tried to reinstall Win 10 using the media creation tool, but I get to the part where it says "where do you want to install windows?" Select the partition that you want and select the formatting option you want to perform" and then it shows me two drives: one (I think the SSD Drive) with four partitions and the other (an HDD Drive) with 5 partitions. I pick partition x because it says Windows, and then it says "can't install on partition x the reason being "Windows can't be installed on GPT partition style". How do I find out which partition to put it in and what formatting style? and how about GPT? Also I fear that eventually I will be asked for the Microsoft code numbers for my installation which I do not have. The original came to me from Lenovo with Win 8.1 installed which I converted to Win 10. Any constructive ideas appreciated. Thank you,.

:)

Fubar007, Jul 19, 2016
  2. melquinn Win User

forgot password for initial user Windows 10

I started up my new laptop with Windows 10. It asked me for USERNAME and PASSWORD. Several days later when I wanted to resume my first session with Win10, I forgot the password. Now I can't even get started with Win10 on new laptop. Please help! Thank
    you.

melquinn, Jul 19, 2016
  3. windows 7 upgraded PC to win10 and can't open start tab, search, and other tabs just not working

I will try to do this tonight, as I said... I can't get the start tab to load/open and I can't do a search or anything else. Most of the tabs on the taskbar won't even load/open... just internet and a few other things... My laptops are fine with the new
    win10.

jeannemosso1971, Jul 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

See if you can enable the hidden administrator account using Option #4 in this tutorial:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Then, once in the OS, create a new local account with admin privileges, log into the new account and transfer all your data over to it. Then, delete your old account that you can not access. Once that's done, change your local admin account to your MS account.
    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Don't forget to disable the hidden admin account when finished.

Let us know how it goes.

simrick, Jul 20, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    There is an easier way to enable the hidden Administrator account:

Nope, doesn't work, I just tried it. I thought I had tried it before, sorry.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get Win10 to open even with new password. - Similar Threads - Can't Win10 open

2. New MS Store Opening in Win10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    New MS Store Opening in Win10: The new MS Store that is in Windows 11 is coming to Windows 10 later this year 2021.Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-ms-store-opening-in-win10/5f95f211-ff76-44f2-b9aa-34ec09823295
  3. New MS Store Opening in Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New MS Store Opening in Win10: The new MS Store that is in Windows 11 is coming to Windows 10 later this year 2021.Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-ms-store-opening-in-win10/5f95f211-ff76-44f2-b9aa-34ec09823295
  4. New MS Store Opening in Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't get the forgotten password wizard to open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get the forgotten password wizard to open: I recently had to change my local Windows password and Windows Hello PIN. I'd like to update my Windows password recovery USB, but I can't get the "Forgotten Password Wizard" to open on the control panel. How do I get it to open?...
  6. Can't get password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't get password: A friend gave me a laptop before he left our community. He did bypass the password, so I can get into the computer. However, I can't change it to my information because I don't have his password. Is there anyway to get around this? Thanks! Toni...
  7. Getting a new password as the administrator

Getting a new password as the administrator: Hi I'm the only admin for my Microsoft 345 account and have forgotten my password. When I ask to reset it it tells me to speak to my administrator which is me but when I go onto the admin portal it asks me to put in my old password to be able to change the password! Any...
  8. Win10 "This App Can't Open"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 "This App Can't Open": Hello! Friends: In the last few days, a number of Apps can't open (icon blurry under Start/All Programs). Error message: This App Can't Open I tried to repair it with the Window Store Troubleshooter, but to no avail. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you....
  9. Randomly get asked for my microsoft password when opening programs on win10

Randomly get asked for my microsoft password when opening programs on win10: I'm using windows 10 on a desktop. In the last few months, it has started popping up a dialog saying that my credentials are incorrect and I need to inter my microsoft password. However, if I simply alt tab away or escape out of the dialog I can continue with what I was...
  10. Can't get in to my new Win10 Home laptop - invalid pin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't get in to my new Win10 Home laptop - invalid pin: Sorry.... new to 10. Where/How do I get to settings icon/and-or screen if I cant login via pin and/or password ? Thanks 28295