Windows 10: Can't import favorites from firefox to edge.

Discus and support Can't import favorites from firefox to edge. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; That about say's it all. Here is a screenshot: [img] Henry 73197 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Hewjr100, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Hewjr100 Win User

Can't import favorites from firefox to edge.

That about say's it all. Here is a screenshot:

Can't import favorites from firefox to edge. [​IMG]

Henry

:)

Hewjr100, Dec 23, 2016

2. Edge not reading the Favorites folder after Feb 9 2016 update

Okay, but how do I put my old favorites into that database file? Copy-pasting doesn't seem to be an option, and the export tool only gives me the two folders that are currently in the Edge favorites list.

As a side note, I found that selecting "import from Edge" in Firefox adds my old favorites into it. After using this import to go from Edge -> Firefox -> Chrome -> Edge (since Chrome can't import from Edge but vice versa works, Chrome can import from Firefox,
    and Edge can't import from Firefox but vice versa works), Edge got a few of the files back, but most weren't copied in the import process (and some folders were copied, but they were copied empty).

I could theoretically just switch to using Chrome/Firefox now with the imported favorites and be done with it, but I'd still like to fix this issue, if possible.

RobertFilkin, Dec 23, 2016
  3. All favourites gone since Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

Let's try a different approach.

Install firefox, run it, and import all favorites from MS Edge. if all favorites was imported to Firefox, import it back to MS edge. if not, I suggest you chat MS support.

Rasheed Mandeep, Dec 23, 2016
  4. Can't import favorites from firefox to edge.

Hi:

Disclaimer: I do not use Edge.

However, it looks as if the blue text to which your arrow points is a link -- did you try to click it?
    I expect it would open some sort of drop-down or other menu from which to select Firefox as the source of the "bookmarks" (they are called bookmarks in Firefox)?
    Then one would proceed to the next step, Step 5 (shown at the bottom of your screen shot): "Select Firefox from the list and then click "Import Button"".

There's also this tutorial -- perhaps it will help:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Let us know how it goes,

MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 23, 2016
  5. Two other thoughts:

• Firefox probably needs to be closed when you do this - are you sure it was closed when you tried?
    • Is Firefox installed in a non-default location (in which case perhaps Edge can not find your bookmarks)?

MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 23, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    I Export Bookmarks from Firefox as an HTML file, works for the Import on other browsers or simply double-click to open the list in the browser. Some browsers can't work with Firefox's .json file.

Berton, Dec 23, 2016
  7. That makes sense.
    Although I think Fx also saves bookmarks as places.sqlite?
    And -- based on Brink's tutorial -- the Import *should* work?

But, yeah, I like that idea of exporting to HTML and then importing that format into Edge.

Please let us know if @Berton's suggestion works....

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 23, 2016
  8. robwil Win User

There is a small app called Mozbackup that might be a work around. You could try that.

robwil, Dec 23, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    It does. I've just done it. Try what I did, if it works then there is a problem in your particular user account, not a general fault in Edge or Firefox. Set up a test user account, log in and run Edge and Firefox to configure them for the first time, add one bookmark to Firefox then closed them both. Open Edge and import the bookmarks from Firefox (it comes with some Mozilla ones pre-installed). If that works it suggests something for your user account isn't right, possibly the Firefox profile needs repair?

10. Hewjr100 Win User
    1. firefox is closed. 2. Left side of image firefox is checked, I clicked on import, and got the message below import: couldn't import favorites. 3 There is no option to import an html file in ms edge in windows 10 14393.576 4. Mozilla backup backs up or restores firefox to or from a .pcv file, I imagine it only works for firefox, not to import or export to another browser. 5. I don't know where arrow came from, I do not know how to do that, I was concerned with the right side of pic.

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 23, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    The Backup file in Firefox under Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks is bookmarks-2016-12-23.json and the Restore uses that file. "Mozilla backup" is something else, don't have it installed.

Berton, Dec 23, 2016
  12. Hewjr100 Win User
    Bree, it;s obvious your using the British version of ms edge, perhaps it works for you. Are you using an insider edition, I am not currently. Stopped using insider releases, need stable system.

Henry

Hewjr100, Dec 23, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

Actually the arrow is on the page you were browsing at the time, some illustrated instructions on how to import in Edge. *Smile

Have you tried my suggestion of testing the import works in another account? I created a new test user for the purpose, so that I knew all the settings were fresh and uncorrupted (and deleted it after I'd finished testing).

If it works in another account then you may need to repair the Firefox profile in you main account before you can import from it.

14. Hi:

Mozbackup is no longer being developed (since 2012) and is no longer supported.
    Some users have suggested that it still works, but I'm not sure I would depend on it with current Fx versions, especially under Win10.
    And I do not think it would be of any use for Edge.
    (There are other, supported ways to backup the Fx profile or parts thereof, such as bookmarks. One option is FEBE, but I don't think it will be of use with Edge.)

Exporting to HTML and then importing that file, as @Berton suggested, might be the most promising suggestion.
    @Hewjr100: if you told us, I missed it --
    Do you have Firefox installed in a non-default location?
    Along the same lines, do you save your Firefox bookmarks in a non-default location?
    Are you perhaps using a portable version of Firefox, rather than the locally installed version?
    Perhaps try to reset Edge and then reattempt the import?

<I'm just trying to figure out why the import is not working...>

MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 23, 2016
  15. ^^ In addition to the above... ^^

If only for troubleshooting, what happens if you try either or both of these:

• Import your bookmarks from Firefox into IE11 or to another browser, such as Chrome or Opera?
    • Import your favorites from IE11 into Edge?

If those are successful, or not, it would help to isolate the source of the problem.

Just a thought...

MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't import favorites from firefox to edge. - Similar Threads - Can't import favorites

2. Import favorites from Edge Chromium Beta instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Import favorites from Edge Chromium Beta instead of Edge: I have been using Edge Chromium Beta for some time now and all relevant favorites are now on that browser. I cannot find a way to export the favorites from the beta version so I can delete the old Edge favorites and import them into the new Edge that comes with build 2004....
  3. Copying favorites from Firefox to MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Copying favorites from Firefox to MS Edge: Have just this last week upgraded/updated to W10 from the MS site itself. (Version 1909) (yep, the free offer from them is still there, you just got to know how to download it!). I'm messing around at the moment with this "new" Microsoft Edge. By the way, l can still access...
  4. Favorites from Firefox to Favorites BAR in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites from Firefox to Favorites BAR in Edge: I recently upgraded to Win 10 64 and have decided that I am going to use Edge as my default browser. I have followed the directions on 2 websites now that tell how to transfer favorites from Firefox to Edge and seem to have hit a little snag. I am trying to transfer my...
  5. How to import Firefox favorites into Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to import Firefox favorites into Edge: I'd like to try Edge, but Edge won't even see Firefox as one of my installed browsers even though it is my default browser. I'm not going to use a browser that requires me to enter hundreds of sites one at a time. Any suggestions on a way to import FF favorites since it won't...
  6. Unable to import favorites in to Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to import favorites in to Edge?: Hey Guys I have saved my favourites in the default folder, they appear and work in ie, but when I try and import them in to edge the error states: Couldn't import favourites Not very informative? Any help appreciated 12277
  7. Import/Export Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge Favorites: Microsoft Edge Favorites - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Though Edge may not be the browser of choice, would like to hear reviews/comments of the above method of export/import of favorites from those that have used the method. This method was designed...
  8. Problems Importing Favorites into Edge from IE11

in Browsers and Email
    Problems Importing Favorites into Edge from IE11: I have posted this question/complaint on another thread, but I have been locked out. So I'll try again. Why can't Microsoft fix the Edge import process to reliably import all favorites from IE 11? I have tried all the workarounds including copying the IE 11 favorites to the...
  9. Import favorites in Edge from Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Import favorites in Edge from Chrome: Hi, I am admin om my computer with Windows 10. My wife is second user. We both have accounts on Google and use chrome. I am logged in and open Edge to import favorites from Chrome. I get my wifes chrome favorites from her google account, and not my own??? This happens...
  10. Import Favorites from Microsoft Edge to Firefox in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Favorites from Microsoft Edge to Firefox in Windows 10: How to: Import Favorites from Microsoft Edge to Firefox in Windows 10 How to Import Favorites from Microsoft Edge to Firefox in Windows 10 [img] Information You can keep track of the websites you visit frequently by storing them as bookmarks in Firefox. The bookmarks...