Windows 10: Can't install a Truetype font

Discus and support Can't install a Truetype font in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I install quite a few fonts, so am no stranger to the process, however, I have been having difficulty in installing a particular font which I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SarahHodgkins, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Can't install a Truetype font

Hi, I install quite a few fonts, so am no stranger to the process, however, I have been having difficulty in installing a particular font which I can only find in Truetype format. I am getting the error message 'Invalid font file' and it looks as if the previous ones I have installed have been OpenType fonts. All the help I can find on the internet is not helping, any ideas please?

:)

SarahHodgkins, Aug 2, 2018

2. Visual Studio doesn't recognize TrueType fonts as TrueType fonts

Major Update: 1709

Build: 16299.125

Visual Studio 2017

Description:

I installed a TrueType Font (extension was .ttf and file type was TrueType font) but Visual Studio doesn't recognize it as a TrueType Font. Why is this?

And sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I just chose the closest one to the situation.

--

Vs179

Levi Brown, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Can't install truetype fonts in Windows 10

Hi Kess,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

I would like to inform you that there's no clearly identified option to add new fonts, you can just drag any TrueType font file to the main window containing all your other installed fonts.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check:

1. Press windows key + R and type the following command and hit Enter.

%windir%\fonts

2. Drag any TrueType font file to the font window and check.

Unfortunately as of now, you will not be able to change the font in Windows 10. However you may find this feature available in future builds.

Give your valuable feedbacks and features you hope to see in the next version of Windows through the
    Windows feedback app.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Can't install a Truetype font

How do uninstall, installed OpenType Font

Start Regedit.exe and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

Backup the branch by exporting to a .REG file.

In the right-pane, delete the following values:

• HelveticaNeue-UltraLigCond (TrueType)
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigCondObl (TrueType)
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigExt (TrueType)
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigExtObl (TrueType)
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLight (TrueType)
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLightItal (TrueType)

Exit the Registry Editor, logoff and login back.

Then manually delete following .OTF files from C:\Windows\Fonts using
    Command Prompt (Admin).

• HelveticaNeue-UltraLigCond_0.otf
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigCondObl.otf
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigExt.otf
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLigExtObl.otf
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLight.otf
    • HelveticaNeue-UltraLightItal.otf

Running this command will show the list of .otf files you installed.

dir c:\windows\fonts\helvetica*.otf

(There zip file in the above website bundles 6 .otf files, which you need to delete from the Fonts folder.)

Then run:

del c:\windows\fonts\helvetica*.otf

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

Can't install a Truetype font

1. Can't install a Truetype font - Similar Threads - Can't install Truetype

2. Can't install font in my windows!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install font in my windows!: Hey, Hope you're doing great!Whenever I am trying to install a font into my computer Idk why but It doesn't seem to install with the font name, but it is getting labelled as "false" font! Because of this I can't install more than one font into my computer and etc!...
  3. Can't install font in my windows!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install font in my windows!: Hey, Hope you're doing great!Whenever I am trying to install a font into my computer Idk why but It doesn't seem to install with the font name, but it is getting labelled as "false" font! Because of this I can't install more than one font into my computer and etc!...
  4. Can't install font in my windows!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Notepad can't find installed fonts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad can't find installed fonts?: I've been having an issue with Notepad since I upgraded to Windows 11 - Notepad can't seem to figure out that I've installed new fonts. When I first install the font, Notepad notices, and I can use it no problem. But if I restart my computer and try to open it again,...
  6. Notepad can't find installed fonts?

Notepad can't find installed fonts?: I've been having an issue with Notepad since I upgraded to Windows 11 - Notepad can't seem to figure out that I've installed new fonts. When I first install the font, Notepad notices, and I can use it no problem. But if I restart my computer and try to open it again,...
  7. Can't install fonts windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't install fonts windows 10 pro: There doesn't seem to be a way to install fonts in windows 10. When I try to drag the font file into the fonts folder I get a red circle with a cross. I the only option to add fonts is from the microsoft store which basically has no font options....
  8. Why can't I install fonts by dragging them into the fonts panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I install fonts by dragging them into the fonts panel?: I used to be able to install fonts (ttf or otf files) by dragging them into the Fonts Appearance panel. Since a couple of weeks this doesn't do anything anymore (as in, nothing happens after dragging the file, not even an error message) and I have to install my fonts manually...
  9. Can't Install Fonts in Win10Pro64 Anniversary Edition

Can't Install Fonts in Win10Pro64 Anniversary Edition: Hi...I'll admit it, I need help. I have an extensive collection of fonts that are totally different from the limited Win10 array. For example: Clearface and Korinna in many weights and styles. My highly-efficient and wonderful Font Navigator 4.1.0 does not seem to work...
  10. Can't Install ANY Fonts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Install ANY Fonts in Windows 10: Hi I had tried almost every possible ways posted such as enable/disable firewalls, etc in order to drag and drop to install a font in windows 10. All I got is something like a 'not a valid font' always. This is a brand new windows 10 and I wonder if there will be a patch/fix...