Windows 10: Can't Install in GPT with USB?

Discus and support Can't Install in GPT with USB? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I cannot get Windows 10 1709 USB3.0 Media created with Rufus (I think) to boot and install in GPT. I have to Enable Legacy just to get it to boot, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FunkMaster, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Can't Install in GPT with USB?

I cannot get Windows 10 1709 USB3.0 Media created with Rufus (I think) to boot and install in GPT. I have to Enable Legacy just to get it to boot, and if I do it installs as MBR. If I Disable Legacy it won't find a Bootable USB Device in Boot Menu?
    HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop PC Software and Drivers | HP® Customer Support
    Rufus is the only tool I've ever used to do this, so I assume that is what I used, but I forget now. I only say this because I don't see the little Rufus Icon in the files that I thought I saw before on another Rufus Created USB.

What do I do here? Do I need to Enable UEFI and change Boot Order in BIOS? I thought I tried that also, but so many things were tried at this point.

Do I need to Format as GPT First, or is there a way to get this thing to boot in UEFI Mode?

I just don't understand some of these UEFI Systems yet, but would like to install these in GPT.

Is the only way to do this with a DVD?

Thanks, FM

:)

FunkMaster, Jan 18, 2018

2. can't install win 10 on both gpt and mbr partition

I have a hp laptop which came preinstalled with windows 8.1

so yesterday I was trying to install windows 10 pro 64 bit but an error occurred which said that windows can't be installed on gpt partition style.

therefore using AOMEI partition assistant I converted gpt to mbr partition style.

then again I tried to install windows 10 but this time it shows an error that windows can't be installed on mbr partition style with motherboard supporting EFI or UEFI. It can only be installed on gpt style.

so again I converted mbr to gpt partition and tried to install windows but still it showed the former error.

so now I ask that what should I do to install windows 10 ???

nilakshsing, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Wojko6 Win User
    Wojko6, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Can't Install in GPT with USB?

5. Bat 1 Win User
    Can't just format the USB to FAT32, 7Zip the ISO open then copy and paste to to the USB ?

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  6. I can create the bootable usb with Rufus, that is not the issue. The issue is, getting this pc to boot from it and install as GPT. Can someone explain, or link me to directions to do this?

EDIT: Maybe I just missed setting Rufus to GPT UEFI, I'll take a look at doing that again.

Thanks everyone, I will refer to this thread for the good Intel.

FunkMaster, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Bat 1 Win User
    You might need to take some pics of the BIOS settings to post. If you're working on the HP p6310p-d listed in your specs, I didn't even know Models from that date had UEFI *Shock

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  8. Can't Install in GPT with USB?

Your right Bat1, and I completely messed up and forgot to leave the specs to the pc I'm working on. I just Posted them in the First Post of this Thread. This is a computer that I may adopt, but not sure yet as I love my Dell 660s.

EDIT: Just Updated my Specs also!

FunkMaster, Jan 19, 2018
  9. Bat 1 Win User
    OK that's much more better *Smile If You have Secure boot disabled, Legacy support enabled, and Fast boot disabled with the USB set as your First Boot option, You "Should" see the choice of either booting UEFI or MBR if the install media was created correctly.

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    That doesn't make the USB drive bootable. The older OSes such as MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier had a command of format /s which did transfer the boot/system files to create the bootable floppy disk. The latest I've used was called DOS 7 from Windows ME, think that was the last that had the ability to boot to what could be called "pure DOS". I did find a way to use the WinME floppy to create a bootable CD but no need for it now.

Berton, Jan 19, 2018
  11. Bat 1 Win User
    Have You personally ever tried ? It works for Me and everyone else so......

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    That doesn't make the USB drive bootable. The older OSes such as MS-DOS 6.22 and earlier had a command of format /s which did transfer the boot/system files to create the bootable floppy disk....
    The only extra bit MS-DOS did was to copy the system files after the format. The ISO contains the required system files for UEFI and Legacy boot, and copying them to a Fat32 formatted USB make it bootable (initially, just for UEFI). Marking the partition as Active is required to make it bootable for legacy bios systems too.

Works fine - done it many times...

13. Bat 1 Win User

Thanks Bree *Smile Bat was too lazy to list the diskpart commands since there's another thread at the top of the list *Redface

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  14. Berton Win User
    The only reliable method for me has been to use a 16GB Thumb drive and the MCT/Media Creation Tool to get both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same drive. Then I store the stand-alone updates on it as they become available. It actually doesn't take any longer for the download than getting the .iso file and is immediately ready to use. No prep of the drive is necessary as it automatically reformats as FAT32.

Berton, Jan 19, 2018
  15. Got it guys, I went back and re-created with Rufus as GPT. The weird thing was, when I went into the BIOS Settings just to look at whether Legacy was Disabled etc. and Re-started, the thing booted right into the installation and I don't know why LOL. I did not change the Boot Order or anything, it just booted from it straight away. I only hoped that is was going to install as GPT, and was frustrated, so just let it go hoping the best, and it did install as GPT, so I'm pretty happy.

I did have another issue that I will create a new topic for. My Wifi was not working, and I thought it was something to do with the Install or the pc. Turned out it was something to do with my Router. Unfortunatley, trying to fix it I Hit Reset in "Network and Sharing" and subsequently lost all Network connections ArrrrggggArrrrgggArrrgggg. Off to the Networking section. I see now that a Restart is required to get up and running again after Resetting.

FunkMaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Install in GPT with USB? - Similar Threads - Can't Install GPT

2. GPT installation issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT installation issues: Trying to install windows 10 to a GPT formatted SSD so i can then migrate to windows 11.I've definitely enable uefi only in my bios, here's the issues i've had so far.Tried converting the existing install drive from mbr to gpt, which worked, but then i couldn't boot, error...
  3. Can't install USB drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't install USB drivers: Hi, I am having a hard time trying to install USB drivers for my phone so that I can connect my laptop to the phone using a USB cable, but I find it so hard to install because Windows doesn't install it automatically....
  4. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  5. Windows not installable on GPT Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not installable on GPT Drive: Hello, I wanted to have Windows 10 on an SSD. I saved all my files on to an external drive and formatted the disk. I put in a Windows boot USB stick, to install windows on my new SSD and when it came to where I want to install Windows, I selected the SSD, but it couldnt...
  6. Can't install Windows with usb

Can't install Windows with usb: I have a laptop Lenovo air 13 pro which is having ssd drive I tried to install Windows with USB. On UEFI mode It doesn't recognize USB at all. I tried fat32 format and NTFS. But in legacy mode it recognize USB but it doesn't recognize ssd drive it says I can't install Windows...
  7. "Can't install Windows on GPT drive"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Can't install Windows on GPT drive": I've got Ubuntu installed on my PC and need to get a Windows install also. Using GParted I created a primary ntfs partition. I used Rufus to make a bootable usb of win10. When I boot to the USB and get to the custom install screen I select the partition I want to install on...
  8. Why do USB not able to format with GPT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why do USB not able to format with GPT?: Referring to following link, after following instruction, my USB do not able to format at all, I would like to know on how to solve gpt issue and make USB work again. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  9. Can't install windows 10, all drivers are MBR not GPT

Can't install windows 10, all drivers are MBR not GPT: I was trying to install Windows 10 from a USB flash driver I made with " creation media tool ". At first I was trying to format the C drive but got an error after the C was already formated that it was MBR and GPT so windows cannot be installed. Attempting to use the "...
  10. Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition

Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition: I'm pulling my hair out here. PROBLEM: Can't install Windows 10 x64 from an OEM disk ... to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD ... on a GPT partition. It installs instead on a MBR partition. SPECS: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Bios version: F4 SSD: Samsung...