Windows 10: Can't install new software because previous installation still running

Discus and support Can't install new software because previous installation still running in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I try to install a new software program, I get the message 'Cannot install this program because another installation is running'. Now you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rzn6jw, Aug 29, 2018.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Can't install new software because previous installation still running

Every time I try to install a new software program, I get the message 'Cannot install this program because another installation is running'. Now you realize that I'm not going to keep installing the same program over and over, and especially if the first installation is still running, so this message is really bugging me.

Turns out that when I start a new installation 4 - 5 msiexec.exe s start. They all run until the program is installed. However, once the program has completed and the installer exited, 1 - 3 msiexec.exe s remained in task manager. Since they're still 'running' I can't install anything else until I terminate each one.

This has only started since the last update. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm running:

Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1803 build 17134.228.

:)

rzn6jw, Aug 29, 2018
  2. niko084 Win User

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Aug 29, 2018
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 29, 2018
  4. Can't install new software because previous installation still running

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 29, 2018
Thema:

Can't install new software because previous installation still running

1. Can't install new software because previous installation still running - Similar Threads - Can't install software

2. Installing a new software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing a new software: I'm trying to download an tax software. I get a .dll error. What can I do to let the software download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-new-software/9a2ba91b-c4d9-4c95-87fa-c26fbfd3b182
  3. Installing a new software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing a new software: I'm trying to download an tax software. I get a .dll error. What can I do to let the software download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-new-software/9a2ba91b-c4d9-4c95-87fa-c26fbfd3b182
  4. Installing a new software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Microsoft Edge not Installed, Can't Install, Because it is Installed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Edge not Installed, Can't Install, Because it is Installed.: So, i just updated my Laptop to the latest version of Windows 10... And Microsoft Edge is broken. there was an App on the Start menu with a Blank icon, but clicking it does nothing. I go to the App Settings to Uninstall, won't let me, i press Repair and Reset, nothing Works....
  6. Cannot install new software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install new software: Hi, lately I'm having some problems with my laptop. About a week ago I had an issue where I couldn't log into my Microsoft account after installing some updates, it kept saying "Preparing Windows" and then logging me into a temporary account, but I fixed that by restarting....
  7. Can't install software

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't install software: I purchased Snagit 2019 and tried to download it to install. I got a message that says I can only install apps I get from the Store. How can I turn that off? I need to use this program for my business....
  8. Can't Install Downloaded Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Install Downloaded Software: Hey So I bought a new PC that came with Windows 10. I downloaded some apps and installed them without a hitch. A couple of days later I downloaded another software program that manages downloads from within China (Xunlei, if you must know), but it would refuse to install...
  9. Can't install new WiFi driver software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't install new WiFi driver software: edit: I was able to install the supposed correct WiFi driver yet the problem remains. I l lose connectivity as soon as I walk outside my house. May post in another section for help. Can't figure out how to delete this post so feel free. My laptop loses wifi connectivity...
  10. Go to previous state after software install

in Windows 10 Support
    Go to previous state after software install: I want to try a bunch of apps that I have on my new computer. Ideally, each time I don't like a certain app, I'd like a way to easily return to a point before the app was installed, instead of just uninstalling. Does anyone know how to do this, or of a program that does...