Windows 10: can't install w10 on a "broken" pc

Discus and support can't install w10 on a "broken" pc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Yesterday my pc broke. It wont start. It keeps loading on the start up screen for ages. It has something to do with my SO. So im trying to boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jasonfriedman8, Oct 30, 2015.

1. can't install w10 on a "broken" pc

Hello. Yesterday my pc broke. It wont start. It keeps loading on the start up screen for ages. It has something to do with my SO. So im trying to boot a W10 iso from a DVD. When i do it it starts loading files but then it appears a black screen with a white mouse which i can move but nothing happens. Some poeple say that i have to change some screen config but the thing is that i can only access the BIOS. Any ideas?

:)

jasonfriedman8, Oct 30, 2015
  2. grschinon Win User

Enter on keypad " no. + # "

petrib is correct. It is a shortcut to SIM numbers.

Numbers on your SIM might not be in the position you think. Just because they appear sorted in alphabetical order in the contacts list doesn't mean that they appear in that same order on the SIM. On the SIM they appear in the order in which you input them,
    unless you delete a number in which case the next one entered takes its place.

grschinon, Oct 30, 2015
  3. hahakak Win User
    Enter on keypad " no. + # "

Hello guys :smileyhappy:

There's something make me crazy :s
    When I click a certain number on keypad on any NOKIA mobile
    Then click the symbol " # ", then a number of
    a contact "in my contact list" will be appeared.
    Is there anyone know how is that???
    I feel curious toward this puzzle :smileyvery-happy:
    OK., if anyone know about this topic, please tell me :smileysad:
    Anyway thanks :smileywink:

hahakak, Oct 30, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

can't install w10 on a "broken" pc

Looks like your hard disk might have a problem and cannot be detected. You can check it with a Linux Live CD that includes a disk checking tool, or with a diagnostic CD such as Hiren's Boot CD. A quick test is to press DEL to enter BIOS and then see if your hard disk is detected. If it is, then you should check it for problems with the live CD. Maybe you have to replace it. Also test the DVD in another computer to see if the disc has any problem.

spapakons, Oct 31, 2015
  5. tjg79 Win User
    Check you hard drive manufacturer's website. They might have a utility you can download, burn, and run to check the disk's integrity.

If your disk has bad sectors, new installs may not be successful.

I use Seagate drives and I run SeaTools for DOS to check the disks. The full erase is the most thorough test, because it writes a zero to every sector and if a sector is bad, it retires that sector and assigns a spare to its place.

You could have bad sectors on your hard disk that Windows can't really detect as bad. The warning signs are slow boots, and other types of issues you would expect with OS files that are corrupted.

Regards

tjg79, Oct 31, 2015
  6. tjg79 Win User
    Another good utility program is GSmartControl. It's the GUI for smartmontools. It will read your disk's S.M.A.R.T. data and can run some tests. I highly recommend this program. If you have issues with your OS, it's good to use to check the disk's S.M.A.R.T. data, because that information is the early warning sign of disk failure.

tjg79, Oct 31, 2015
  7. tjg79 Win User
    Before you load the new OS, you should full erase the drive. This was called low level format in times past. Also, check the drive as noted in my other posts.

If you're still having issues, just post for more help. Good luck with the new install.

Regards

tjg79, Oct 31, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

Thanks for that tool, it would be better if that app can run in the system tray and actively monitor the drives...

Almighty1, Nov 1, 2015
  9. tjg79 Win User
    Perhaps you can set it to run on a regular schedule in task scheduler. I think it's a great tool. I'm surprised I don't see it recommended as the first thing to check when your OS starts acting up. Regards

tjg79, Nov 1, 2015
  10. Almighty1 Win User
    Yeah right now I'm using HDD Health:
    HDD Health failure prediction for hard drives and ssd drives

It seems like GSmartControl is basically HDD Health plus diagnostic tests

Almighty1, Nov 1, 2015
  11. tjg79 Win User
    I'm not sure, but I think those tests are the self tests that have been programed into the drives firmware. I could be wrong, because those could be generic disk tests that are either part of GSmartControl or SmartMonTools. I think GSmartControl only accesses the drives capabilities as a GUI for SmartMonTools. If there are tests programed into the drive firmware, then GSmartControl and access those tests and run them. The best testing is accomplished with the disk offline. Seagate SeaTools accomplishes this with their Seagate SeaTools for DOS version. The DOS version is better than their Windows version, because the disk is completely offline.

Also, the latest version of GSmartControl installer also installs the version of SmartMonTools that was the latest current version at the time of release. If there's a later version of SmartMonTools, you can download and install it separately from GSmartControl. Then you can set GSmartControl to run the latest version of SmartMonTools from the options menu.

Regards

tjg79, Nov 1, 2015
  12. Swagger Win User
    Quick fix!
    Reinstall Windows 10
    It does not take that much time.
    But you say that your PC is broken?
    So if your PC is broken, please contact your local dealer.

Cheers

Swagger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can't install w10 on a "broken" pc - Similar Threads - can't install w10

2. Search Bar on W10 is broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar on W10 is broken: I have been having this issue for a month or two now, but whenever I click on search in the taskbar to search something up it crashes and closes after 2 seconds (roughly). I have tried just about any fix on youtube including reinstalling windows but no dice. It's super...
  3. W10 Install not my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Install not my pc: I am replacing a HDD for a friend of a friend is there anyway to install it without creating an account? I suppose kind of like when you buy one new.. It would be ready for the new info. Tia 165703
  4. Impossible W10 installation - PC build

Impossible W10 installation - PC build: Hi all, I've looked for an answer everywhere but can't find anything so I've finally decided on creating a new post. I've built my first PC, specs are as follow: CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard...
  5. transfer W10 pro from a broken PC

transfer W10 pro from a broken PC: Hello, my PC failed to restart in the process of a windows update. I got a black screen. no bios. so rather than faff around I have bought another PC. I have the OS drive from my old PC and all info on that can be accessed. Is there any way that I can transfer my w10...
  6. Windows Broken? Can't reset PC.

Windows Broken? Can't reset PC.: So a couple days ago I updated my windows to the feature version 1909 or whatever it was. Once i had done so, I started getting bsod every half an hour or so randomly. So I opened up settings, and hit "revert to a previous windows build". Once I did that, I restarted my PC...
  7. Can't reactivate w10 on new pc

Can't reactivate w10 on new pc: So yesterday I built a new pc for myself, and I boot it up and install windows and whatnot, and press the "i dont have a key" button since I have a digital license linked to my ms account. But when I try to activate it on my new pc, it gives me an error, and I press...
  8. w10 v1809 installation is broken

w10 v1809 installation is broken: Or at least it tends to fail on some PCs at the OOBE phase(s). This has been happening to me at least twice now. The only way is to install v1803 and apply v1809 on top of it. This time it failed for me on an old one core processor pc with 4GB RAM and x64 architecture. So,...
  9. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?: So, I have Windows 10 already installed on my PC. I upgraded it last Summer from Windows 7 for free. I've been trying to update it for the past 6 weeks but keep getting the error: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. Windows can't be installed because this PC has an...
  10. Broken W10 install

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken W10 install: Hi, A few weeks ago I upgraded to W10 from W7 on my Lenovo laptop. The laptop was about 3.5 years old, a little slow but generally worked fine. The install process seemed to work ok, but since then I have had huge problems related to boot up and drive usage. 1. Boot up...