Windows 10: Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Discus and support Can't install w10 update, UEFI error? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I have Windows 10 already installed on my PC. I upgraded it last Summer from Windows 7 for free. I've been trying to update it for the past 6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

So, I have Windows 10 already installed on my PC. I upgraded it last Summer from Windows 7 for free.

I've been trying to update it for the past 6 weeks but keep getting the error: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported desk layout for UEFI firmware."

I have 3 hard drives and Win10 is running on my main SSD, disk 0. I remember having some funky upgrade issues and needed to unplug certain hard-drives due to strange ownership issues. Heres is a look from Disk Management. I've got an MSI m-board plus BIOS, all new.

https://i.imgur.com/H5WsiEr.jpg

Help!

:)

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  2. P.V.Cube Win User

Cannot find the option to enable intel vt-x in Windows 10

Based solely on my installation (via upgrade + clean install) of W10 on UEFI and non-UEFI bios pc's: The option to enter UEFI settings via Advanced Startup only appears when W10 has been properly installed as UEFI- more specifically- if you reinstall W10
    via usb meda- the UEFI INSTALLATION option should be selected (vs other compatibility choices) to ensure UEFI is retained.

P.V.Cube, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

Hi!

You would have to know how to flash the bios recovery key to point the W10 recovery partition. It would be easier to delete all partitions and install W10 UEFI. If your motherboard supports it.

Do a search on installing Windows 10 UEFI.

Teddy2016, Dec 23, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Please post results of:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list partition

It looks like your disk may be mbr format.

5. DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Your disk is mbr not GPT and you don't have a MSR partition.

You could convert the disk to GPT and create MSR in the unallocated 128MB space (if you want to boot UEFI) or convert your disk layout to legacy. Do you have a preference?

Someone else had this exact same problem a couple of days ago - I will see if I can find the thread. In the meantime what does your BIOS say? Legacy boot or UEFI?

7. lx07,

thanks for your help! Ok. I'm a bit of a noob with UEFI and BIOS related things, so I'm going to ask what you think I should do. I primarily use my PC as a gaming machine.

I just checked - it's Legacy + UEFI now. I have the option of UEFI only as well.

P.S. if I convert to GPT, does that wipe all my data? Rather be able to fix this without having to do a clean install of W10.

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

I think it doesn't matter. I changed to EFI boot about 6 months ago as it was allegedly faster to boot but I noticed no difference.

Your problem is you are stuck in a sort of limbo. You have an almost UEFI disk layout but are booting legacy.

This was the other thread btw Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware - Windows 10 Forums

I would pick one approach and stick to it. So assuming EUFI the steps would be:

1. Make sure you have a bootable USB with Windows 10 on (in case you end up needing to repair boot files).

2. Make a backup.

3. Convert your disk 0 from MBR to GPT using MiniTool Partition Wizard (this is quite easy - just click on the convert mbr to gpt button and you shouldn't lose any data).

EDIT This is the button I mean (but the other way around - mbr to gpt)... Then click "Apply"

Can't install w10 update, UEFI error? [​IMG]

4. Create the msr partition as described in this post How to recreate a Microsoft Reserved Partition for GPT volumes on AppAssure Agents (137589). For you the offset is 229-128 = 101 so you would enter Code: diskpart select disk 0 create partition msr offset=101[/quote] 5. Change partition one (your 100 MB EFI partition) attributes to EFI Code: diskpart select disk 0 select partition 1 remove set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b override[/quote] 6.. Create boot files (from elevated command prompt not diskpart) Code: bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] Then try to reboot and see if it works. If it does then you are running UEFI and the upgrade should work OK.

9. Ok I think I will try the UEFI method you suggested and outlined. When you say "backup" for step number 2, are you referring to all my data on my current Drive 0? And how should I back that up? Is it possible to back it up on either of my other 2 hard drives?

thanks.

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Yes. There is a chance something goes wrong so if there is anything important you should save it to another drive. Either D or E would be fine. You could use Macrium (or anything else) to make an image.

Partition Wizard has always been reliable for me but you never know. More likely than losing data is system will not boot as creation of boot files was incorrect somehow. This is not serious if you have a bootable USB.

However when I converted from MBR to GPT it was all quick and easy so hopefully it will go OK - just better to be safe.

11. Ok i will do that then. Should I just use Windows backup to do that?

Also, where can I get a Win10 ISO for my USB?

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    I would use Macrium from the link above as it is much quicker than the built in system image but either is fine.

You can download and automatically create a bootable Windows USB using the media creation tool as described in option 1 here USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You'll need a USB key with nothing you want on it which is at least 4GB.

It isn't 100% required to make a bootable usb before you start but if something does go wrong and you can't boot you'll have to make one on another PC so it might make life easier to do it first.

13. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Ok I am using Minitool but am not getting the option to "Convert MBR to GBT" or vice versa. I backed up my data.

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    Did you highlight the disk 0 (click on it).

Can you post a picture of the screen?

15. Oops actually if I highlight Disk 1 (there is no zero on this list) I get the option. If my main disk is called Disk 1 with this software, should I change some of my next steps?

DiscoSlice, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error? - Similar Threads - Can't install w10

2. Can't login into W10 after installing update...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't login into W10 after installing update...: Hi - am helping my son to post this issue. Wonder anyone can lend a helping hand on this?As a result, he was given a sub user access into the system with no access to his files....
  3. Can't login into W10 after installing update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login into W10 after installing update...: Hi - am helping my son to post this issue. Wonder anyone can lend a helping hand on this?As a result, he was given a sub user access into the system with no access to his files....
  4. Can't login into W10 after installing update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't install Windows 10 21H1 update on a fresh W10 install. No error message after install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install Windows 10 21H1 update on a fresh W10 install. No error message after install.: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Family 1709 and I can't install the latest OS version 21 H1.- When using Windows Update or the update assistant tool, the install starts and when my computer reboots, I still have the same version installed.- When using the Media Creation tool, my...
  6. W10 UPDATE ERROR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 UPDATE ERROR: I PURCHASED W10 64BIT IN 2020.WHEN I UPDATE W IT SHOWS ERROR "YOUR DEVICE IS MISSING IMPORTANT SECURITY AND QUALITY FIXES" WHAT SHOULD I DO ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-update-error/2a8923ac-857f-4f90-8fee-6ad6265c42dc
  7. Can't boot in UEFI, only in Legacy, after clean W10 install from USB

Can't boot in UEFI, only in Legacy, after clean W10 install from USB: Hey folks, i need your help (again)... I had to reinstall Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire. The "Upgrade Tool" failed repeatedly. I chose to install clean from an ISO to USB using Rufus. Not knowing the configuration of this laptop, i did a search and found instructions on how...
  8. Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode: Hello, This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums. I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the UEFI BIOS? Also it takes too long for the PC to finish POST. It takes...
  9. W10 install in UEFI mode

W10 install in UEFI mode: When I receive the Windows 10 download on July 29th or whenever they send it to me, I want to install it in UEFI mode. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit currently and it is installed in BIOS mode. (Long story, I've never been willing to clean install after I had W8.1 up and...
  10. How can I install w10 in uefi mode

How can I install w10 in uefi mode: Hi guys, I made a mess installing w10 in legacy bios mode, while I saw already running w8 in uefi mode. I'm actually on a w10 system with legacy bios mode. How can I install w10 in uefi mode, if bios won't start the installation of w10 using an usb with iso of w10 mounted...