Windows 10: Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop

Discus and support Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Here is my issue. I just got a deal on a brand new HP Probook 450 G3 that came with a 1To HDD and Windows 10 pre-installed. I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by omega83, Mar 13, 2016.

1. omega83 Win User

Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop

Hello everyone,

Here is my issue. I just got a deal on a brand new HP Probook 450 G3 that came with a 1To HDD and Windows 10 pre-installed. I used the spare money to purchase an Windows 7 Pro x64 license and a Sandisk 256Gb SSD. My intention was to pull the original HDD out and do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD.

I have gone absolutely bonkers after 72 hours of trying... Sorry in advance if I state the obvious or if I do not use the right wording. I know a little but am definitely not a wiz. So here goes.

PROBLEM 1: Impossible to Enable Secure Boot and Install Windows 7

I unplugged the HDD and swapped it with the SSD.

Using Rufus, I created a bootable USB stick formatted as Fat32 and partitioned as GPT since my Bios defaults to UEFI. I stuck the USB device in the computer, went to F10 - BIOS Setup. My BIOS is version N78 Ver. 1.06 12/18/2015. The USB device is properly recognized as a UEFI device.

In BIOS Setup >> Advanced >> Secure Boot Configuration, I switched to Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable then Save. In Boot Options, I unchecked Fast Boot. Below, UEFI Boot Order is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. Only the device booting order can be tweaked so I ranked the USB device first. Below, Legacy Boot Order is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. Instead of a device list as with UEFI Boot Order, the following sentence is written: "Enable Legacy Boot, Save Settings & Exit, then Return to Setup".

With now everything set up as much as the BIOS allows me to enable Secure Boot, I Exit and Save. The cpu restarts and prompts me to validate a 4-digit code to enable Secure Boot. I do so. The computer restarts and seems to be booting the USB stick but immediately returns the following error message.

Secure Boot
    Selected boot image did not authentica​te.

Out of curiosity, I go back to the BIOS and I realize that the Secure Boot Configuration settings did not save and have all reverted back to Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable.
    I tried to do the same process with clearing the secure boot keys, or after logging in as an admin. Nothing works. I always get the same Secure Boot error message and disabling Secure Boot never saves.

PROBLEM 2: Impossible to Boot Windows 10 Recovery Disk

So after losing hope, I decided to at least get Windows 10 installed on the SSD. today, I ran the HP recovery disk containing Windows 10 + drivers. The computer will simply refuse to even start booting the DVD. It does recognize the DVD and lists it properly if I go to the boot menu. It just will not boot it and returns the following error message.

BootDevice Not Found
    Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Drive
    Hard Disk - (3F0)

So basically, my new laptop only works with the original HDD and Windows 10. Everything else seems hard wired. I cannot even run a recovery disk.

Please let me know what I am missing here as I seriously do not know what else I can do.

Thanks A LOT in advance.

:)

omega83, Mar 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 upgrade and clean install in new SSD

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in similar threads.

I have a laptop with a Windows 8.1 installed in a HDD. I have not yet upgraded to Win10 but I have reserved already.

I want to do a clean install of Win10 on a new SSD I'm buying and I'm worried that if I upgrade to Win10 on my current drive then do a clean install on the SSD, because of the hardware change (HDD to SSD) the Win10 product key will become invalid.

What should I do?

- Upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD then swap the SSD and do a clean install

- Clone my current hard drive do the SSD then do the upgrade

Note: The OS (Win7) installation came with the laptop

Note 2: I don't need to keep my files

JoelOliveiraPT, Mar 13, 2016
  3. I downloaded Win10 & it works great... However?

I installed windows on my Laptop and it works fine, but I am going to replace my Hard Drive with a SSD. It will be brand new, having No Operating System on it when I install it. How will I prove to Microsoft that I had Win7 Pro prior to installing the
    FREE version of Win 10 not that I have installed a new SSD on my laptop?

Will I be able to get and/or install a Free version of Win10 on my laptop once the old HD is gone and replaced with a new SSD that havs no information aboard?

Big-Daddio, Mar 13, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

So you want to install windows 7.

You need to disable secure boot, as windows 7 does not support it. See if this helps: Secure Boot - Enable or Disable in UEFI
    Check the Option 3 there.

Keep the rest of UEFI. It will work good with Windows 7 x64. For the details, check here: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums

To run a CD/DVD or USB in a UEFI enabled environment, you need to run it as UEFI.
    Press the "Boot Menu" Key during bootup. It will give you two option for the bootable media you are wanting to run. One is normal (which will not boot in UEFI) and the other is UEFI boot option.
    Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop [​IMG]

If you opt for the UEFI option, the recovery media will boot.

5. omega83 Win User
    Hello Arc. And thank you for taking the time to help here.

As I noted in my initial write-up, my main issue is that disabling Secure Boot will not save no matter what I do. Here is a screenshot of the drop-down menu with which I am supposedly disabling Secure Boot.

Then I get to enter a 4-digit validation code that is also supposed to lock Secure boot out but for some reason it will never save. Instead , my USB will not boot and I am getting this "Secure Boot. Selected boot image did not authentica​te" error message. See below.

As for running the recovery CD/DVD, I am unfortunately not getting the dual option to boot as CSM/Legacy or UEFI. I am merely getting one (UEFI) option. Hitting enter on that option reverts me back to the startup menu. And if I do "Continue Boot", I am getting the "BootDevice Not Found" error. See 3 pictures below (shown in sequential order).

Thank you for the links as well. But to tell you the truth, I have meticulously skimmed through most of the threads across tech forums and in several languages over the last 72 hours and most of the troubleshooting seems to be useless regarding the issue here. I guess someone who has run into the same issue would know, but again as I said, I am no wiz at it so maybe I am wrong and there is a straight solution.

omega83, Mar 13, 2016
  6. Stankiem Win User
    Have you tried updating your BIOS? If it won't save the configuration there it might be a good place to start.

Stankiem, Mar 14, 2016
  7. omega83 Win User
    Hello Stankiem.

Good suggestion indeed but I already checked that out on HP's website. I am running the latest version (v1.06).

See below.

omega83, Mar 14, 2016
  8. strollin Win User

Did you select the option on this screen to Clear Secure Boot keys?

strollin, Mar 14, 2016
  9. billeuze Win User
    I used to service Dell computers and just a very few the models I saw similar behaviour - changes in bios boot settings would not stick. The solution believe it or not was to reset the bios to defaults, then try again - it worked everytime. Perhaps there is a similar behaviour with some models of HP notebooks.

billeuze, Mar 14, 2016
  10. omega83 Win User
    Hello Strollin,

Yes I did.

I tried all combinations possible of Legacy Support Enable/Disable and Secure Boot Disable + Clear Secure Boot Keys + Reset Secure Boot keys to factory defaults.

It will always send me to the 4-digit validation screen and then the error messages, whether that is "Selected boot image did not authentica​te" with the Win7 USB or "BootDevice Not Found" with the Win10 recovery disk.

omega83, Mar 14, 2016
  11. omega83 Win User
    Hello Billeuze,

I did reset the BIOS to Factory Defaults once more just to be sure. But not only does it not change any of my custom settings, it does not make disabling secure boot stick either.

omega83, Mar 14, 2016
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Hi omega83.

Based on what billeuze posted, I would suggest you to take the computer to a HP service center.

It is really odd that the disabling of the secure boot is not saving. It may be a fault form the part of the board/BIOS.
    Sometimes the OEM vendors make the board/BIOS settings in such a way that the user cannot alter it.

13. Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop

I had similar problems trying to install windows 7 on a Crucial MX100 SSD on my new Lenovo laptop w/Win 10 OEM, drive would not be recognized at all. Crucial says it's Intel's problem, Intel says it's Crucial *Mad I saw others on Lenovo forum with same problem. I re-installed 10 on a Transcend 128gb SSD as the Lenovo has no DVD drive or PS2 port (see below) & installed 7 in a Virtual Machine.

One other thing is new Intel 6th gen Skylake CPU's removed support for Win 7 USB installation *really
    Intel Skylake Removes Support for USB based Windows 7 Installation - Major Platform Specs Confirmed

EarthBoundMisfit, Mar 15, 2016
  14. omega83 Win User
    Hello. I am afraid it is not the same issue here. My SSD is perfectly recognized. As is my bootable USB.

Problem is this Secure Boot setting that will simply not go away. I have done what Arc suggested and contacted HP support yesterday. They said they would "get back to me". So far no answer from them...

omega83, Mar 15, 2016
  15. omega83 Win User
    Ok so after contacting HP Support, the Rep concluded that there is an issue with the BIOS (not disabling Secure Boot). He went on to tell me that I am not supposed to install a new SSD or OS on the brand new laptop, and that basically, I should leave it as is.

So since their Techs are only supposed to fix the hardware (and not the software), I was offered the possibility of returning an otherwise perfectly functional laptop. It is nice from them but also a terrible waste.

Kinda bummed out really. If every laptop comes locked up like that going forward, it is sure going to be a game changer.

Thank you everyone for your help anyway.

omega83, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Install Windows on New SSD Installed on New Win10 Laptop - Similar Threads - Can't Install SSD

2. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  3. Can't install Windows on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install Windows on new SSD: My desktop has a 500GB SSD as its hard drive. I bought a new 2TB SSD and want it to replace the 500GB as the hard drive. I've created bootable media using 'Create Windows 10 Installation Media' and a USB flash drive. When I use the USB flash drive during bootup I get a popup...
  4. Can't install Windows on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install Windows on new SSD: My desktop has a 500GB SSD as its hard drive. I bought a new 2TB SSD and want it to replace the 500GB as the hard drive. I've created bootable media using 'Create Windows 10 Installation Media' and a USB flash drive. When I use the USB flash drive during bootup I get a popup...
  5. Can't install Windows on new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. New SSD win10 install, advice please?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New SSD win10 install, advice please?: OK, so Windows updates are just slowing my machine down and I'm thinking of getting an SSD and swapping it over. Problem is my laptop only has one drive slot so I can't clone it the way I've been told and I have not been able to find my product key as It wasn't stuck to the...
  7. Installing Win10 on a new Laptop with no OS

Installing Win10 on a new Laptop with no OS: Hi folks, Purchased a brand new Laptop for the wiffey which will come in the next few days. I have my Rufus Win10 USB stick already done for the job but being a laptop is there anything different that I could expect to happen? I am assuming not, it's a 500gb SSD which I'll...
  8. new install on new ssd,

new install on new ssd,: is there a way to delete just the windows files on my old ssd or am i going to have to format my old ssd to get rid of the old installation? submitted by /u/traveler9001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxhkz5/new_install_on_new_ssd/
  9. Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop

Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop: My laptop has a 512GB hard drive and I just bought 1TB SSD to use for the OS and all my games. There is an open spot for the SATA SSD so I know there will be no issues there. I want to know the procedure to move the OS to the new SSD while still having the hard drive for...
  10. Can't install Windows on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install Windows on a new SSD: Got a new Samsung 860 SSD. I've downloaded the windows media creation tool onto a USB. When I plug it in to my laptop and begin the process of installing Windows, it just freezes on 0% when 'copying windows files'. Is there anything I could do to fix this?...