Windows 10: Can't keep my apps and settings in upgrade to WIN10

Discus and support Can't keep my apps and settings in upgrade to WIN10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a succesfull upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10 on my Laptop, I now try to install WIN10 on a Desktop Pc and that causes me a problem. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DRIESMUL, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DRIESMUL Win User

Can't keep my apps and settings in upgrade to WIN10

After a succesfull upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10 on my Laptop, I now try to
    install WIN10 on a Desktop Pc and that causes me a problem.

When I upgraded the Laptop from WIN7 to WIN10, all my applications and settings
    were kept during the upgrading process and 2 hours after I started the upgrade,
    the laptop was working as usual (but on WIN10 now)

However, when I try to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, I am not able to keep all programs and settings.
    I am only given the option to do a clean install, where afterwards I will have to re-install, setup
    and customize all my applications.

For both upgrades I used the same 4GB USB stick that contains the bootable WIN10 installation files.
    This USB stick was created with the Media Creation Tool.

Here is what I did.

- Boot from the WIN10 bootable USB stick

- Then (after a while) the panel with the 3 questions shows up
    * Language to install: HERE I CAN ONLY SELECT "English (United States)
    As this suits me fine, I keep this selection

* Time and Currency format: Here I get plenty of options
    I selected "Dutch"

* Keyboard or Input method: Here I get plenty of options
    I selected "Dutch"

- After a while the system asks me: Do you want "Upgrade" or "Clean Install"
    I selected: "Upgrade"

- When the system tells me to Reboot normal Windows (WIN7), I did and
    rebooted the Normal WIN7 Operating System.

- While running this Windows 7, I ran setup.exe from the WIN10 USB stick

- In the Next panel, I selected: "Download and Install Updates"

At the Next panel, the problem arises:

- The next panel shows 3 options, of which unfortunately the
    FIRST OPTION IS GREY

* Keep personal files and apps
    You will be able to manage your Windows settings

* Keep personal files only
    Your setting and Apps will be deleted but your files will be kept

* Nothing
    Everything will be deleted including files, apps and settings

The screen gives an explanation, but unfortunately, it doesn't make sense:

The explanation is: You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps
    because you've chosen to install Windows10 using a different
    language than you are currently using.

The explanation is complete crap, because at the very first question that was asked,
    I was not given another option than English (United States)

Note: The very initial installation language on the existing WIN7 system was Dutch,
    but that was later changed into English with a program program called "Vistalizator"

I ran Vistalizator again, to go back to Dutch again on the WIN7 system, but still
    the WIN10 upgrade does not give me any other option than English (United States)

Here I am stuck: I want to keep my settings and I don't want to spend
    3 days on installing again my email, compilers and all the other useful
    programs that I use every day.

Hope someone can shine some light on this problem.

:)

DRIESMUL, Aug 4, 2015

2. why is the windows 10 downloader tool, i downloaded from the en-us microsoft page, in german?

due to the tool being in german for no reason and my win10 techpreview install being in english, i can't keep my apps and settings

ThirtyThr³³, Aug 4, 2015
  3. bbinnard Win User
    Will MediaCreationTool allow me to downgrade 10 Pro to 10 Home?

By mistake I did a clean install of WIn10 Pro on a new boot drive before I upgraded my old Win7 Home system to Win10. So now my Win10 system say its activation will expire on Jan 20, 2016.

I understand that I should have done the Win10 upgrade to Win7 first, but I did not. So now I'd like to use the MediaCreationTool to get the WIn10 Home install files and install it on top of my Win10 Pro system, but tell it to keep all my apps and settings.

So my question is - will this work? I am trying to avoid having to do a totally clean install of WIn10 Home and the subsequent installation of all my apps and settings.

bbinnard, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Can't keep my apps and settings in upgrade to WIN10

1. Can't keep my apps and settings in upgrade to WIN10 - Similar Threads - Can't keep apps

2. Can't keep settings and apps when upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't keep settings and apps when upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10: I think the question says it all. I'm trying to upgrade a friend's PC running Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10, using the Media Creation Tool. I've tried both the 'Upgrade this PC now' and 'Create installation media' options. I've also tried with a downloaded ISO from an earlier...
  3. can't upgrade to 2004 update in my win10 pc

can't upgrade to 2004 update in my win10 pc: hello i bought a new computer of BMAX company who comes with win10 build in. i tried to upgrade to the 2004 update but the tool say "this pc can't be upgraded to windows 10. your pc isn't supported yet on this version of windows 10..." some ideas to solve it?...
  4. Keeps Apps (Insider Upgrade)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keeps Apps (Insider Upgrade): Hello, is anyone else getting the Windows Insider expiring message? Okay well, when I go to the Insider in the settings it's just blank, no option to update. So okay question is can I use a up to date Windows ISO on a USB and keep all my files and games and stuffs? I don't...
  5. Proxy Settings will not Save after Win10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Proxy Settings will not Save after Win10 Upgrade: My Win7 machines that were just upgraded to Win10 will not save any Proxy settings in Win10. Any changes to Lan Settings in IE or Proxy settings in Win10 Proxy will not save. What happened after the upgrade? Why can I not make changes to my proxy settings now. Please...
  6. This pc can't be upgraded to WIN10

This pc can't be upgraded to WIN10: Last few days, my pc gets updates prompt, but always freezes and failed to complete the update when I activated the update. So I had to forced restart it and PC undoing the changes made. I don't know what is this issue. This problem now re-appears after more than one year....
  7. Win10 "This App Can't Open"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 "This App Can't Open": Hello! Friends: In the last few days, a number of Apps can't open (icon blurry under Start/All Programs). Error message: This App Can't Open I tried to repair it with the Window Store Troubleshooter, but to no avail. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you....
  8. win10 update/upgrade resets network settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 update/upgrade resets network settings: Really Microsoft needs to reconsider the whole Win10 update philosophy.. We will now take remedial action so that updates will no longer be applied as the the result can cause severe business issues. Yesterday, were we performing a system clean up which does necessitate...
  9. Can't access my DVD drive after upgrading to Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access my DVD drive after upgrading to Win10: My DVD drive worked fine in Win7, and still works fine if I boot from it, but since upgrading to Win10 I can't access any disk in it. File Explorer "sees" my G drive, but when I want to look at a disk it tells me to insert a disk. Device manager told me that my drive was a...
  10. Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%

Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%: Hi all, trying to upgrade my desktop (self-built) from Win7 to Win10 but it keeps getting stuck at 86% (configuring settings 46%). Since at that point there is no task manager or anything and my system has no hdd activity light it's hard to tell if anything is still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 upgrade settings and apps will be deleted

2. win10 keep settings