Windows 10: Can't log into OneNote and other apps. Problem with accounts?

Discus and support Can't log into OneNote and other apps. Problem with accounts? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft account that works to let me log in to either Microsoft sites or OneNote on my iphone. I am unable to log into OneNote (native app,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by caffreyc, Mar 1, 2016.

1. caffreyc Win User

Can't log into OneNote and other apps. Problem with accounts?

I have a Microsoft account that works to let me log in to either Microsoft sites or OneNote on my iphone. I am unable to log into OneNote (native app, not OneNote 2016) on my laptop.

Systems/accounts says I have a local account for which I'm an administrator. I don't know what the password is or even if there is one. When I look via the Control Panel under my user account, it says the same thing; the password for my user account works fine to get into Windows. Why is user account info saying this is a local account? Is the user account = local account?

I have two email addresses associated with the local account. One of those is also associated with the Microsoft account (possible conflict?). I get email from one account (internet provider) and not from gmail (the one connected to the Microsoft account). Can't figure why the latter connection doesn't work

The systems/accounts window provides a link to sign in with the Microsoft account. No combination of user id's, emails or passwords will log me in. No explanation about why the microsoft account email and password works at microsoft sites and on iPhone but not here or for apps.

I keep seeing mysterious messages about outlook.com. They seem to suggest I MUST create an outlook.com email address, but there is no explanation. At least one person I know was not able to get into Windows apps until she created an outlook.com account, but I am not willing to do this unless I know WHY?

A week or so ago I found a site in which several people said they'd heard there is a bug connected to login problems which Microsoft has failed to fix. Have no idea whether it is a bug or whether it has just not been clarified/explained properly that an outlook.com account is REQUIRED to get into the apps. If it is true, why?

I've spent hours on line and exchanging emails with Microsoft. All I get are useless links. No answers to my questions.

So.... Are there two or three accounts (local vs Microsoft or user vs local vs Microsoft)? Are we REQUIRED to create an outlook.com account to access windows 10 apps? Is there a bug or just unclear explanations about accounts and login requirements? Is there any way to get an intelligent answer from Microsoft? Probably other questions arise but I'm too tired of all this mess to think clearly at the moment.

Please be patient. I have a lot of computer experience but I'm 70 and frustrated with the impossibility of communicating with a real human in real time at Microsoft "support".

:)

caffreyc, Mar 1, 2016

2. Data corruption in OneNote on Windows 10 Mobile

I've had the same issue recently. OneNote started crashing at startup (the data existed on OneDrive intact and could be viewed and edited on my notebook). OneNote on phone has a "reset" option that claims to reset whatever pointers/indexes are corrupted,
    but that option did not fix the problem. Normally you would reinstall the OneNote app, but guess what...can't be deleted so it can't be reinstalled. Only solution...reinstall ENTIRE phone. A brilliant bit of programming. I'll add that my other WP simultaneously
    had the same issue with the same dataset, proving it was a botched "mandatory" OneNote upgrade at fault.

Why individual apps like OneNote or Edge can't be deleted is obvious--keeps you a prisoner.

Zyswrlevueuvft Smith, Mar 1, 2016
  3. KianTamar Win User
    Problem using file sharing on Windows 10 while using a Microsoft Account to log in.

When I use a Local Account to log in, there is no problem. But when I want to log into OneNote I have to use my Microsoft Account which automatically changes my windows user account from Local to Microsoft Account.

I wouldn't have any issue using a Microsoft Account to log into my PC if it weren't for the fact that I can't use my Microsft Account when I want to share files over wifi with my other devices. (Using SMB)

When I put my Microsoft Account username and password in the login page, it just doesn't work. It does work just fine when I revert back to a Local Account. But then I can't use OneNote anymore.

Is there any way that I don't have to choose between file sharing or OneNote (or any other MS Office product that needs a Microsoft Account for logging in)?

KianTamar, Mar 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Mar 1, 2016
  5. caffreyc Win User
    As I said, I have a Microsoft account - that isn't accepted to get into OneNote although it asks for the Microsoft account info. It works to get into Microsoft sites. I've tried manually copying the password used to access sites into the OneNote email/password prompt page. No Go.

The settings account info says I have a local account. The only password I know for that is my user account password. That isn't accepted by OneNote either.

Thanks for trying.

caffreyc, Mar 2, 2016
  6. Instead of logging in with your local account log in to Windows using your Microsoft account. You will have to fist log in to the local account and add the Microsoft account in Settings, then Accounts. That should help.

MountainDoc, Mar 2, 2016
  7. caffreyc Win User
    I tried what you suggested.

Went to user account and clicked link to use Microsoft account to log in.

email and password accepted at first. Then there was a reprompt for the password and this time the password was NOT accepted. Perhaps the first entry hadn't really been accepted - maybe that was the reason for the reprompt. No way to tell. The result was the same as trying to get into OneNote.

Wierd. wierd.

Has anyone heard of a bug in the Windows 10 Microsoft account login? I did find references to a bug at other sites but cannot find that site again.

Thanks for trying, MountainDoc.

caffreyc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't log into OneNote and other apps. Problem with accounts? - Similar Threads - Can't log OneNote

2. Can't remove accounts used by other apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove accounts used by other apps: For this problem this is a solution Add and Remove Microsoft, Work, or School Accounts used to sign in by other apps in Windows 11 Tutorial Windows 11 Forum elevenforum.com...
  3. Can't remove accounts used by other apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove accounts used by other apps: For this problem this is a solution Add and Remove Microsoft, Work, or School Accounts used to sign in by other apps in Windows 11 Tutorial Windows 11 Forum elevenforum.com...
  4. Can't remove an Account used by other apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove an Account used by other apps: Multiple times a day I get a pop up in the middle of my screen saying that I need to sign into my workplace or school account. The email doesn't exist, the school has shut the servers down for that email address, even if the servers where up I have no clue what the password...
  5. Can't remove an Account used by other apps

Can't remove an Account used by other apps: Multiple times a day I get a pop up in the middle of my screen saying that I need to sign into my workplace or school account. The email doesn't exist, the school has shut the servers down for that email address, even if the servers where up I have no clue what the password...
  6. Can't log into accounts, among other things

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't log into accounts, among other things: Just recently, Ive been having trouble with access to sites. The most serious case is with my online access to my banks checking account. Ive never had a problem in the past, but a couple days ago I logged in and kept getting error messages saying Im entering incorrect...
  7. Can't log into accounts, among other things

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't log into accounts, among other things: Just recently, Ive been having trouble with access to sites. The most serious case is with my online access to my banks checking account. Ive never had a problem in the past, but a couple days ago I logged in and kept getting error messages saying Im entering incorrect...
  8. Downloading OneNote 2016 but can't log-in to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloading OneNote 2016 but can't log-in to Microsoft account: I'm trying to install OneNote 2016 from the Microsoft site and it wants me to login to my Microsoft account. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription that doesn't expire until October so I'm entitled to OneNote 2016 and I prefer it to OneNote for Windows 10. I gave it my login...
  9. Can't remove accounts used by other apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't remove accounts used by other apps: I know this has been asked before and despite users saying the answers helped them, it hasn't helped me! I have a personal Windows 10 machine that I used to use to access my old corporate network. But as I no longer work there, I don't have access to that account any more....
  10. OneNote Desktop App Problem

OneNote Desktop App Problem: Hi, I am using the OneNote Desktop App on my windows 10 laptop. The problem is, when I insert my PDF printouts and annotate on the slides, occasionally the slides would become blank leaving only my annotations. This tends to happen for PDF printouts with quite a number of...