Windows 10: Can't log out of local account

Discus and support Can't log out of local account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pokeefe0001, May 20, 2016.

1. Can't log out of local account

For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account a couple days ago. Now the PC hangs up with a blank screen for about 5 minutes when I try to log out. Eventually the PC wakes up, but the logout has failed.

The only thing I see in the event log are a lot of the ubiquitous DistributedCOM 10016 errors, many with the userid of the user I'm trying to log out. Is there likely to be a connection? I've never noticed any external problem associated with the 10016 errors so I've never tried the rather long an (for me) complicated fixes. Should I try to fix this error, or would that be wasted effort?

Is there anything else I should do to debug this problem?

I think I'll try shutting down, but I'm not sure I'll be able to start back up.

:)

pokeefe0001, May 20, 2016
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Log out of local account

Hi,

Logging in an account to the Windows Store will automatically bound your local account with your Microsoft account. You can log in to the

web version of the WindowsStore
    instead to prevent this issue from recurring. To log out an account of the Windows Store, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Windows Store.
    • Click your account icon beside the Search box.

Can't log out of local account [​IMG]
    • Click your profile.

Can't log out of local account [​IMG]
    • Click Sign out.

Now, proceed in removing your Microsoft account and password by following these steps:

• Go to Settings>Account>Your email and accounts.
    • Click Sign in with a local account instead and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • After setting up the new local account, go back to Settings>Account>Your email and accounts.
    • Select your email account and click Remove.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, May 20, 2016
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Log out of local account

Before you delete an old User account, make sure to transfer or back the files up from that User account first as it will be deleted too upon deleting the User account. To transfer files from a User account, follow these steps:

• Open the User account that is about to be deleted.
    • Copy the necessary files and paste it to C:\Users\Public.

After doing so, you're now ready to delete the old User account. To delete an old
    User account, kindly follow the steps given by SujataMoktan on this

link

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Allan Mej, May 20, 2016
  4. Can't log out of local account

The error is usually related to missing permissions, do you have admin or standard account?
    My guess, it can not end some running software, try to run this as admin in CMD, in that account:

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "AutoEndTasks" /t REG_SZ /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

TairikuOkami, May 20, 2016
  5. Both accounts have admin authority. You could be right about not being able to end some running software, but that in itself is worrisome. I think I an going to restore my PC back to before I defined the troublesome account. I had some problems defining the account and may have messed things up.

pokeefe0001, May 20, 2016
  6. It took me a while, but I did a recovery using a week-old backup, defined the new account, and all is well.

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't log out of local account

1. Can't log out of local account - Similar Threads - Can't log local

2. Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.: A repair place replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 11 Home to my desktop. They created my first initial and last name as the local account administrator. I want to sign into my Microsoft account and cannot. I did the following, but it didn't work: I went to...
  3. Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in to my Windows account. only local account log in.: A repair place replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 11 Home to my desktop. They created my first initial and last name as the local account administrator. I want to sign into my Microsoft account and cannot. I did the following, but it didn't work: I went to...
  4. How to log out of local account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to log out of local account?: I recently bought a pc from apparently a shady dealer. I used it a bit, it was all fine and then it said activate windows in the bottom right corner. I went to settings/accounts and it said Im logged into a local account. I called him up and he suggested I download some shady...
  5. Can't log out of a school account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log out of a school account: I graduated two years ago and subsequently lost access to my school account. However, this account still lingers on in my Windows and I can't seem to delete or disconnect it from my PC.When I go to Settings -> Accounts -> Email & accounts, the account is there but the only...
  6. Can't log out of a school account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log out of a school account: I graduated two years ago and subsequently lost access to my school account. However, this account still lingers on in my Windows and I can't seem to delete or disconnect it from my PC.When I go to Settings -> Accounts -> Email & accounts, the account is there but the only...
  7. Can't log out of a school account

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Can't log out of microsoft account

Can't log out of microsoft account: Hello there, Me and my brother use the same computer. 2 days ago, I logged in to my Microsoft account from his profile which was not linked to a Microsoft account because he doesn't have one . Later, I wanted to disconnect from my account, but there was no option! I went to...
  9. Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switched to Local Account and Can't Log In: Trying to switch from one Microsoft account to another on laptop. Went through set up as local user, typed in password 2x and hint. Went to next steps as screen instructed. Tried to log in under local user and password wont work. How can I get back in and sign in with my...
  10. Can't Log Out of Microsoft Account

Can't Log Out of Microsoft Account: I'm trying to switch back to a local account on my computer, but I can't sign out. There's no option for me to Sign in with a local account instead, and there is no disconnect button. I literally have no way of fixing this and I can't sign out....