Windows 10: Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain

Discus and support Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Here are the steps I took. Please tell me if I should have done differently. 1. On the server end add the user and computer to the domain in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bluetea55z, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain

Here are the steps I took. Please tell me if I should have done differently.

1. On the server end add the user and computer to the domain in advance.

2. Fresh install windows 10 and make the first username Admin.

3. Once at desktop rename PC to match PC name on domain i.e. Workstation001.

4. Add computer to mydomain.local and when asked for username and password I entered the credentials for the new user.

5. Restarted the PC and signed into mydomain\newuser without any problems.

However now when I try to access the original local Admin account by typing 'Workstation001\local Admin' as the username and then the password. It keeps saying password invalid.

So I logged back into the domain account and tried resetting the password to Admin and then tried signing in as admin again, still no luck.

Currently there are 2 accounts on the computer one of them is a local/domain account for newuser and the other is a local Admin account which I cannot access.

What kind of glitch is this? Should I have not joined the domain through the original Admin account and instead added a local user to the PC 'newuser' and then sign in as that user locally then add them to the domain through their own local account? I didn't think this was necessary.

:)

bluetea55z, Jun 4, 2016

2. have problem of user's right in win10 Movie and TV app

hi

I just upgraded my desktop to Win10, and it was joined a domain, but i found there is some authorization
    issue when i was using Movie and TV app.

i can add folder to video option as the searching location but it can't search the folder for any reason, so i can't add any video to the App. and i can't remove the folder i added
    anyway.

If i login the computer as local user, there is no problem to add video to App. just domain user can't.

I can't find the exact app location to check the security setting.

Does anyone can help?

Thank you

YukaiZhang, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Jerry Arp Win User
    Windows 10 apps will not open

So I understand that if you're logged in as the local administrator that you can't use the Windows 10 apps. Problem is I'm logged in as a domain user and I'm getting the same error. Just to clarify, my domain user account is added as a local admin on my
    workstation. Is this what is causing this? All users are local administrators on their workstations and all users running Windows 10 are having this issue.

I also use Windows 10 with a domain account (different domain), and as before my domain account is added to the local machine as a local administrator. I do not have this problem. I'm confused :-/

Jerry Arp, Jun 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  5. RWOne Win User
    Your logon username for local is incorrect.

If the username created was "Admin", then the local machine logon is:

Workstation001\Admin (Omit "Local") It already knows you are logging onto the machine from the machine header.

RWOne, Jun 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's true too!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain

1. Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain - Similar Threads - Can't login local

2. Login to Windows11 machines with Azure ad joined domain users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login to Windows11 machines with Azure ad joined domain users: Hello All,I'm new to Intune and trying to test MDM functionality to our Mac, Windows & Linux machines. We are using Google workspace as our primary IDP and I federated Google workspace as IDP and Azure AD as SP and enabled Single sign on that works fine When I login to...
  3. Login to Windows11 machines with Azure ad joined domain users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login to Windows11 machines with Azure ad joined domain users: Hello All,I'm new to Intune and trying to test MDM functionality to our Mac, Windows & Linux machines. We are using Google workspace as our primary IDP and I federated Google workspace as IDP and Azure AD as SP and enabled Single sign on that works fine When I login to...
  4. Domain user login not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain user login not working: Hi All, I have a some doubt regarding one of user logon scenario.I am using _KERB_INTERACTIVE_UNLOCK_LOGON structure. Under that Logon member is corresponding to KERB_INTERACTIVE_LOGON.Here is the structure:typedef struct _KERB_INTERACTIVE_LOGON { KERB_LOGON_SUBMIT_TYPE...
  5. Login Screen flashing after adding domain user as local admin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Screen flashing after adding domain user as local admin: I have a brand new computer Updated to latest version of Win 10 PRO. Brand new AD user account just created. I was able to login just fine without any issue. Once I added the user account as a local admin and logged the user back in, The screen just continually flashes and I...
  6. Can't login as local user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't login as local user: I have new a Dell Laptop 8 gb, i5, 64-bit x64- based processor. I just reinstalled Windows 10 pro, version 20H2, OS build 19042/865, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 via the Media Creation tool, clean installation. Which went without a hitch. I had to login...
  7. Adding Domain User as Local Admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding Domain User as Local Admin: Hi there, We are trying to set up the computer of one of our remote employees in house and are running into the issue that every time a setting is changed or a program is installed, it is requiring an administrator password from our domain. We don't want this meaning having...
  8. Issues with Local Users and Domain

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Local Users and Domain: Hi All New to all of this so apologies if I get some terminology wrong. I am currently in the process of trying to change the settings for the primary user account for a Windows 10 PC, but it would appear that the PC was a part of a domain which has restricted access to...
  9. Issue with adding an user computer to domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with adding an user computer to domain: I have an issue with one computer in my domain and i removed that computer from domain. But, i wanted that computer to add back into domain. Now the issue is i am getting an error message saying DC can't be contacted. The error message is as follows. " Note: This...
  10. Domain and Local account login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Domain and Local account login: Hello, I have an Azure joined laptop with my domain account. Also I have a local account on the laptop as well. When I start the device, it logs into the local account first (no password on the local account so signs straight in). To get onto my domain account, I have...