Windows 10: Can't make external monitor main display

Discus and support Can't make external monitor main display in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display. I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ainsley, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ainsley Win User

Can't make external monitor main display

I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display.
    I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and there is a tickbox that says "MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY" This is the option i want, however the tickbox is greyed out and i cannot use it.

:)

ainsley, Dec 7, 2017

2. Desktop icons snap to 2nd display after update to Intel VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) 10.18.15.4279 dated ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016

I followed your steps above, however since my laptop screen was already set to
    Make this my main display , and was already Monitor 1, the selection box was already selected and also because of this it was greyed out. So I made my external monitor the main display and clicked Apply, then I repeated this step to make my
    laptop monitor the main display again. The icons remain on the Monitor 2 external display.

Never mind, I'm rolling back the Intel driver.

PatriciaFierro Scagliotti, Dec 7, 2017
  3. CICVW Win User
    Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

When I try to do this, the check box for "Make this my main display" is grayed out. I can't select the box. any advice?

CICVW, Dec 7, 2017
  4. Avishay Win User

I have spent more than an hour and many Google searches till I realized how to solve it.
    On the top of of the Display settings page, you need to click on the number of the display you want to make as your primary, and then the tickbox is not greyed out anymore.
    # Make this my main display# Greyed out

Avishay, Jan 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't make external monitor main display - Similar Threads - Can't external monitor

2. Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display: I know it's been fixed in Windows 11, but 11 has other problems and I don't like the look of it. The only solution is to reboot the laptop while the monitor is connected, which is annoying. Does this problem occur in Windows 7 ? I tried setting the preferred gpu in nvidia...
  3. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  4. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  5. Cant make monitor main priorty.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cant make monitor main priorty.: I have just installed a new graphics card:- GT710-SL-2GD5|Graphics Cards|ASUS Global I have my main PC monitor connected via VGA and my TV across the room with HDMI. The problem is that the TV shows the boot-up image first before my monitor, although its not a big issue it...
  6. How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor: Hi I have windows 10 OS. I am using Accer E5-573G,which have i3-5005U processor and Nvidia 920M GPU. Thing is that I am using external monitor as my main display and laptop as extended.I don't have UPS While working when power outrage happen my external monitor goes off...
  7. External monitor display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor display: MS Office app menu bar and ribbon text is huge on my second monitor. How do I make it smaller? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-display/a7d43aa3-5e2c-4093-b089-97a901838bc7
  8. Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display: I have a Dell monitor and a HDTV (720) connected to my Windows 10 computer. Dell is horizontal - DVI HDTV is vertical - HDMI When I turn on the computer and monitor is ON, Windows sees it as Display 1. Unfortunately when I turn on the TV, Windows assigns #1 to TV!!!! Rather...
  9. Main & external displays switched

Main & external displays switched: Hello, I have a Lenovo laptop running as my main display and a 24" external monitor for my extended display. I frequently do presentations and have one coming up this week. I went in this morning to run through it and my main and external displays have switched screens. My...
  10. Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display: My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out. 98956