Windows 10: Can't mound ISO files after windows update.

Discus and support Can't mound ISO files after windows update. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi guysAfter having troubles with windows 10 missing drives. I have updated my windows to it's latest build. 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by black, Jul 6, 2017.

1. black Win User

Can't mound ISO files after windows update.

Hi guysAfter having troubles with windows 10 missing drives. I have updated my windows to it's latest build.
    2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4023680)
    That fixed my drives issue but created new one, I can't mount ISO files anymore with windows explorer.
    I had several ISO files before the update, they were healthy and I was able to mount them.
    After the update I keep getting error message

Can't mound ISO files after windows update. [​IMG]

However if I copy them anywhere even replacing the original with a copy they can be mounted by windows explorer.
    All 3rd party software like Winrar/7zip.. can mount them perfectly.
    Tried all solutions on Tenforums nothing worked.
    Tried mounting them with powershell I got error.
    The requested operation could not be completed due to virtual disk system limitation. Virtual hard disk must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse.

This is getting annoying, at first I thought because of security update affected my old files, but keep happening with new ones, now I have to make copy for every ISO I make or download.

So far I tried:
    -Reset file association.
    -Sfc scan (Found errors and fixed, rebooted)
    -Disabling my AV

Winver: 1607 Build 14393.1230

Not sure what els I can do? Seems some kind of windows security preventing from accessing those files.

>> Solution: Uninstall the update. <<

:)

black, Jul 6, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 6, 2017
  3. Latest windows 10 update problems

After last windows 10 update Oct 18, There are no apps in the apps mound no windows store app. When I open the metro mode it’s empty and the apps are not in the start menu.

danishalev, Jul 6, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I've never had a problem doing it that way, usually put on a second partition on the HDD or a USB Thumb drive.

Issue: your "My Computer" gives absolutely no useful information about your computer such as how much RAM, how many HDDs or partitions on the drive/s, how much free space on each drive/partition, etc.

Or in other words, it's all in the details.

Berton, Jul 6, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    If a disk image - ISO, VHD, WIM, etc., is not contiguous - meaning: in a single piece from start to finish, and not fragmented in more than one part of the storage medium - it will not be able to be mounted by File Explorer. If copied elsewhere, usually the copy is contiguous and can be mounted.

When a large file is copied to the same folder, it is copied in manageable pieces to the final physical disk location before the original is deleted - how could it be any other way?

Fafhrd, Jul 6, 2017
  6. black Win User
    CPU: i5 4670k
    RAM: 16GB
    HDDs: Total of (15 TB)
    1 TB main 70% free
    3 TB 2nd 60% free
    4 TB 3rd 70% free
    6 TB 4th 95% free <-- All ISOs stored here.

Don't think it's hardware issue, those ISOs were fine to mount before the update. and still fine to mount after I make copy of them.

Not really sure what are you trying to say, I've read this exact post of yours on another thread but didn't understand, would you please explain more?

black, Jul 6, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    This problem was reported here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral as being introduced by KB4019472, the cumulative update before yours. Actually, there have been two more cumulative updates since the May 26 one you have, plus a new one is likely to be released this coming 'Patch Tuesday' (July 11) . Try updating and see if this issue has been fixed.

June 13: Cumulative Update KB4022715 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1358 (available through windows update)

June 27: Cumulative Update KB4022723 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1378 (available only from windows catalog)

Not really sure what are you trying to say, I've read this exact post of yours on another thread but didn't understand, would you please explain more? This problem appears to only affect iso files that are fragmented. Fathrd is saying that when you copy a file the copy usually won't be fragmented, so it can be mounted sucessfully.

Bree, Jul 6, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Are you running windows in a virtual machine?

You cannot mount ISOs in a VM directly, but you can attach iso as a DVD drive from VM settings.

cereberus, Jul 6, 2017
  9. black Win User
    Thank you Bree for taking a look into my new problem.
    I've installed June 27: Cumulative Update KB4022723 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1378
    The problem still exist, is there a way to prevent them from being fragmented, or defragment them other than copying?

No it's not a VM.

This windows is so broken, can't we just have XP back? *Sad

Thank you guys for helping.

black, Jul 6, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Prevent, not that I know of, but you can defragment the drive the ISOs are on. You'll find 'Defragment and Optimize Drives' under 'Windows Administrative Tools' in the Start menu's 'All apps'. Or just type defrag in the Cortana/Search box. Defragmenting a drive should also consolidate the free space, making it less likely that the next ISO you save to it will end up fragmented.

11. Kari Win User
    Just to clarify this: I have never had any issues in mounting ISO images on a VM. In fact, I always upgrade my Hyper-V virtual machines using a mounted ISO made with UUPtoISO tool on that same virtual machine, or from an ISO copied over from host or another virtual machine.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    agreed --absolutely no problem in mounting ISO images on to any VM I've created.

In addition if the ISO image is a multimedia type (e.g DVD rip or similar) then using KODI on an amazon firetv box I can play these images directly on to a remote TV (with DVD menus if they exist).

For DATA ISO's I've had absolutely no problems - just attach the image as a DVD on the VM and run your setup or whatever program from the DVD just like a physical device.

It makes absolutely NO difference whether using WINDOWS or LINUX as the HOST machine - a Windows VM has no probs with ISO images.

Note though to mount via file / windows explorer - that will only work for Windows versions AFTER W7. For W7 and before you need to have a Virtual file mounter program - something like the old daemon tools. For Win8 / 8.1 and 10 plus the relevenat server versions file explorer will mount isos corectly. If your Windows 10 fails (whether a VM or a REAL machine) then your windows installation has got a serious defect in it --i.e it's seriously broken !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 7, 2017
  13. black Win User

Didn't work, still can't mount ISO after the defragment.
    Guess I'll have to wait for another update to fix this?
    Or do you have another suggestion?

I don't think so, if you look at the site provided by Bree https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
    It's a bug in a security update KB4019472 ,where this problem appeared right after my cumulative update.

Users fixed the problem by uninstalling the above update. sadly I can't do that, since my update comes as a huge package -_-

black, Jul 7, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    I think you have misunderstood. If you try and mount an iso directly from within a Hyper-v virtual machine ( I double clicked on mrf.iso), you get the following message:

Can't mound ISO files after windows update. [​IMG]

However, I can set up a "dvd drive" externally in hyper-v and it is mounted fine using mrf.iso.

cereberus, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    No, that is not true. I do not get any error messages, nor have I misunderstood anything regarding this matter.

My dear esteemed fellow geek, it's you who have clearly misunderstood something. If your VM acts erratic, not as it should work, you need to try to find what's causing it, instead of boldly stating that it's how virtual machines work in general.

Without any more words, here's a 25 second video I just captured. In the video is EN-GB W10 PRO x64 build 16226 Hyper-V VM on which I created build 16237 ISO earlier today with UUPtoISO tool. I simply double click that ISO on VM's UUPtoISO folder and it will be immediately mounted.

[youtube]Tw8jevE8c60[/youtube]

You might want to try copying the ISO to another place within VM and try to mount it again.

Thema:

1. Can't mound ISO files after windows update. - Similar Threads - Can't mound ISO

2. Can't download the windows 10 iso file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't download the windows 10 iso file: Hello,When I try to download the windows 10 iso with the language "English International" from the website it denies it by saying:"We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service."I am using the...
  3. Can't download the windows 10 iso file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't download the windows 10 iso file: Hello,When I try to download the windows 10 iso with the language "English International" from the website it denies it by saying:"We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service."I am using the...
  4. Can't delete iso file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete iso file: Today I was downloading a iso file to be use in a virtual machine for a test, and once I was done I just deleted it but I couldn't,it said "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in System" when I just ejected it a moment ago, now when I try to mount it it...
  5. Can't delete iso file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete iso file: Today I was downloading a iso file to be use in a virtual machine for a test, and once I was done I just deleted it but I couldn't,it said "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in System" when I just ejected it a moment ago, now when I try to mount it it...
  6. Can't delete iso file

7. Can't mount ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  8. Can't mount ISO file

Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  9. Can't Delete ISO File

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Delete ISO File: I Can't Delete ISO File that I have on an external disk drive. It says "the action can't be completed because the file is open in system." This is an unopened video file. How can I delete it? Thanks. 129282
  10. Update by ISO file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update by ISO file: can I update from windows 7 to windows 10 with ISO file.and keep genuine windows 7.And I want to clear windows 7? 9155